Rumor: Sabres looking for help to run team

SDS

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

And maybe ... maybe the person who's qualified to clean up that mess is ... just hear me out ... maybe that person (well, that person's agent) is asking to be compensated in part through a very small equity stake in the franchise (and also proposed that he serve as an alternate governor, or whatever it was that Larry Quinn (and Ted Black?) used to do).

I think it would be highly unusual for a GM/POHO to be given equity in the team.  LQ did receive this, but my impression that it was more along the lines of a finder's fee for arranging a sweetheart deal for TG in buying the team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Appreciate the response John.

Candid conversations between the media, the analytic and the eye test fans is a welcomed atmosphere.

As always I remain hopeful other media representation, both local as well as league (yes, I'd like The Athletic and TSN accounts on here to mingle with the Sabres fan base from time to time) find their way to this community. Wishful thinking? If you could pass the word that would be wonderful, and of course, the commentors would have to behave (except PA, there is no stopping a crusader 🙂 ).

And a big thank you to SDS for creating the space for us to get together and speak.

John has always been very accessible to the community. 👍

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, nfreeman said:

I think it would be highly unusual for a GM/POHO to be given equity in the team.  LQ did receive this, but my impression that it was more along the lines of a finder's fee for arranging a sweetheart deal for TG in buying the team.

Fair. And what of DiPofo? He got to wet the beak a little as well.

These are strange times. It would not shock me if the Pegulas were open to paying less in cash in favour of giving up an unliquidated stake.

43 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

If they kick KA upstairs, would a consortium of people from this board whom we all agreed upon be acceptable?

He hasn't even been GM for a year, they're not moving him anywhere.   

It really hope this means they're looking to fill a POHO/Czar type position.

If so, this could be a candidate list:

Rutherford
Lombardi
Babcock
Julien
Boudreau
Milbury
Lafontaine
Hitchcock
Larry Robinson
Keenan
Chiarelli
Mike Gillis
Dale Tallon
Weekes

7 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Rutherford
Lombardi
Babcock
Julien
Boudreau
Milbury
Lafontaine
Hitchcock
Larry Robinson
Keenan
Chiarelli
Mike Gillis
Dale Tallon
Weekes

Man some ugly  names there... milbury, keenan?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

If the Pegulas are considering another big change in the management of the team so soon after the last one, wouldn't it imply the new guys will be gone?

I don’t think there is any way that Adams gets fired.  He has a long, positive relationship with the Pegulas.

Maybe roles could be shifted around though, and Adams ends up handling mostly business stuff and a new GM takes over.

Perhaps after firing Botterill, they weren’t sure what to do on short notice (and during a pandemic), so they handed it to the guy close to them who they trusted.  Could be more of a care taker type situation than a long term setup.

Just speculation.  Who knows.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Rutherford
Lombardi
Babcock
Julien
Boudreau
Milbury
Lafontaine
Hitchcock
Larry Robinson
Keenan
Chiarelli
Mike Gillis
Dale Tallon
Weekes

Kevin Weeks for Czar would be AMAZING

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fair. And what of DiPofo? He got to wet the beak a little as well.

These are strange times. It would not shock me if the Pegulas were open to paying less in cash in favour of giving up an unliquidated stake.

I agree that these are strange times, and that anything is possible.  Still, given all we've heard about TP's mistrust of outsiders, I would be very surprised if he brought in someone that he didn't have a long history with and made that person a partner in his business. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I would like to know if there’s any real indication how the players felt towards the head coach. The fans seem to have turned on him and we hear public statements from everyone, but I wonder what the team thinks off the record.

That's very difficult to get a good read on during COVID, as we reporters have no access to pull anyone aside privately for a chat at their lockers. In fact, that's why it's difficult to get a read on what the vibe is in the locker room, because, everything's on Zoom.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

GMTM got them a #1LW, #1C, #1RW, best in the league #2C, and a #1G.  GMTM just blew it when he drafted Nylander instead of Sergachev, MacAvoy, Chychrun, or Fabbro. [He apparently totally blew it when he used the B word in relation to Kim.]

Then in same draft, he traded away an NHL(6-7) D in Pysyk to draft Asplund who hasn't really cracked the line-up yet, even as 4C. He missed on DeBrincat, but 29 other teams did too.  Sam Girard was drafted in the 2nd round of the same 2016 draft.  Oh the possibilities.

In all fairness to GMTM, he traded Pysyk for Kulikov too.  A right hander for a left hander.  Too bad Kulikov got hurt during that crazy incident along the boards when the bench door opened....wrong place at the wrong time for him.

6 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

really need a President who can run the whole thing...Rutherford will be fine. Looks like the year is shot so who is available next draft that can help this team??? Is there going to be a draft? I assume there has to be...

Or an ex-Sabre like Pat LaFontaine?

Too soon?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

In all fairness to GMTM, he traded Pysyk for Kulikov too.  A right hander for a left hander.  Too bad Kulikov got hurt during that crazy incident along the boards when the bench door opened....wrong place at the wrong time for him.

This is a very fair point.  Kulikov probably wouldn't have made a major difference, but he was, and has been, a real 4/5 NHL defenseman who has had, on balance, a somewhat better career than Pysyk.

• SDS unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Rutherford
Lombardi
Babcock
Julien
Boudreau
Milbury
Lafontaine
Hitchcock
Larry Robinson
Keenan
Chiarelli
Mike Gillis
Dale Tallon
Weekes

We could only be so lucky to get Rutherford.  Would change our team in a snap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.