Brendan Guhle on Waivers from Anaheim

Brawndo

Btw ran into Zegras' Dad coming home from work... he was at Dunkin before going to play Paddle Tennis with my brother in law... random meeting... said Trevor was very excited to be playing in his first NHL game... havent had time to watch him play at this level but somehow wish Sabres could get him.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Btw ran into Zegras' Dad coming home from work... he was at Dunkin before going to play Paddle Tennis with my brother in law... random meeting... said Trevor was very excited to be playing in his first NHL game... havent had time to watch him play at this level but somehow wish Sabres could get him.

Zegras was a stud in the World Jrs tournament this past December 2020. A skating machine! Alex Turcotte (LA Kings) was as well.

9 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

They only had Samuelsson on the ice for like half the game last night, even more than Fitzgerald it seems.   Laaksonen gets a healthy amount of ice time too.

I can't readily find the official ice-time stats.

They are playing Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen too much. That's why Ullmark got injured; HCRK, the genius that he his, overplayed him, IMHO.

Ryan Jones has been steady. Bryson needs a landing spot if he doesn't stick this year and Griffin Luce is another college FA they're giving a chance already, not to mention a few others who have played. Guhle had his chance, if the reason for picking him up is strictly Rochester depth then they don't really have a need right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I really wish the Sabres had a second top 10 pick in the 2019 draft.  No regrets whatsoever with taking Cozens at #7, but it would have been really sweet to have the 9th and taken Zegras too.  Could you imagine having both those guys as your future top 2 centers?  <drool>

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Anaheim simply has younger, better defensive prospects that need ice time in San Diego.

Guhle is 25 years old with 0 points in 5GP for the Gulls.  He suffered a fluke MCL sprain in January, which I expect he's just recovered from or is still recovering from.

Nonetheless, his ceiling is a 3rd pair D and requires substantially more development to get even that far.  Anaheim is passing on that investment.  If he clears waivers, Guhle could look for success with another AHL team or perhaps try the European leagues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.anaheimcalling.com/platform/amp/2021/1/9/22221706/anaheim-ducks-brendan-guhle-out-6-weeks-knee-injury-injured-reserve-ir

If Guhle passes waivers he will be with the Anaheim AHL team.

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Our Punch will confirm it: the real Punch made lots of little moves that incrementally improved the expansion Sabres. And if we're not an expansion team, I don't know what we are.

Pass on Guhle.  He is 25.  See what Bryson and Borgen can do.  We still have Johnson and Samuelson in development.   Trade Montour and Miller at the deadline and use the picks to draft more defense.  Fill gaps with some older grizzled vets on good short contracts to help the kids.  

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Pass on Guhle.  He is 25.  See what Bryson and Borgen can do.  We still have Johnson and Samuelson in development.   Trade Montour and Miller at the deadline and use the picks to draft more defense.  Fill gaps with some older grizzled vets on good short contracts to help the kids.  

I don’t mind Miller. As long as he doesn’t overprice himself... He’s rarely talked about. That’s a good thing. He goes out and does his job quietly most nights. He has a heavy accurate (on net) shot. I’d hang on to Miller. For me, Montour can go. Borgen is ready willing and able.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Agreed. I actually like some of what I see in Bryson. He needs more development and should be brought along slowly, but I see potential there and parts of his game are already better than Montour's imo.   

I personally would have snagged Tinordi before the Bruins did but am indifferent to Guhle. 

22 hours ago, inkman said:

Overrated?  He just got waived.  

I meant he was overrated when Buffalo drafted him that high. And futhermore, if he is that good, why did Anaheim waive him then? Salary reasons or just not good enough. Not trying to attack you Ink, I just think he isn't really all that.

3 hours ago, Hawerchuk said:

I meant he was overrated when Buffalo drafted him that high. And futhermore, if he is that good, why did Anaheim waive him then? Salary reasons or just not good enough. Not trying to attack you Ink, I just think he isn't really all that.

He wasn’t really drafted that high.  #51 overall, mid-late 2nd rounder.  If that guy becomes an NHLer at all it’s a good pick.  His prospect status did get pretty pumped up for a while though, at least in the public sphere.  Seems like Botterill sold high on him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.