Brendan Guhle on Waivers from Anaheim

Brawndo

Is he better than the worst LHD we have regularly playing? (actually asking) If so, we should pick him up. 

Getting a competitive advantage any way we can is what we are supposed to be doing here, right?

Edited by Thorny

Anaheim simply has younger, better defensive prospects that need ice time in San Diego.

Guhle is 25 years old with 0 points in 5GP for the Gulls.  He suffered a fluke MCL sprain in January, which I expect he's just recovered from or is still recovering from.

Nonetheless, his ceiling is a 3rd pair D and requires substantially more development to get even that far.  Anaheim is passing on that investment.  If he clears waivers, Guhle could look for success with another AHL team or perhaps try the European leagues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.anaheimcalling.com/platform/amp/2021/1/9/22221706/anaheim-ducks-brendan-guhle-out-6-weeks-knee-injury-injured-reserve-ir

6 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Is he an upgrade on Irwin?

Tought to say.  Likely not.  Irwin is not an NHL-grade defender on any sort of contending team, based on his positioning, skating, and shooting, but would probably be excellent in the AHL.  It would be debatable if Guhle would be excellent at the AHL level.

It'd be different if Guhle were 20 years old and had a potentially higher trajectory.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I wonder if the Sabres make a claim because they are short on defence and he isn't a horrible option who's still young. The article I just read about him being put on waivers said it's a bit of a surprise if he would go unclaimed because guys that aren't as good (or atleast as good) as him have been claimed. They said the move is basically that they have other options they can go with in the minors

1 minute ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Tought to say.  Likely not.  Irwin is not an NHL-grade defender on any sort of contending team, based on his positioning, skating, and shooting, but would probably be excellent in the AHL.  It would be debatable if Guhle would be excellent at the AHL level.

It'd be different if Guhle were 20 years old and had a potentially higher trajectory.

Ah OK, it's just so tough to watch Irwin play.

I'm sure they hoped he would be a taxi squad player all year but having to ice him is a bad hockey decision imo

30 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Is he better than the worst LHD we have regularly playing? (actually asking) If so, we should pick him up. 

Getting a competitive advantage any way we can is what we are supposed to be doing here, right?

This. We have one "good" LHD. I wouldn't expect much, given he can't crack the Anaheim D.

He's probably not better than Bryson or Irwin, but he certainly has a better size/skill package than either.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Nah. They have a group of young guys who need minutes.

They only had Samuelsson on the ice for like half the game last night, even more than Fitzgerald it seems.   Laaksonen gets a healthy amount of ice time too.

I can't readily find the official ice-time stats.

They are playing Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen too much. That's why Ullmark got injured; HCRK, the genius that he his, overplayed him, IMHO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.