GDT: 3/4/21 Sabres at NY Islanders 7pm ET

jsb

9 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

If Punch Imlach had had that kind of talent to pick from, the Sabres would have won a Cup before the Flyers could start gooning it up.

I didn’t though.  I had really nothing much to work with so I brought in a good damm goalie first. You need a goalie to ever have a chance.   I put a scrappy and tough cast of characters out there while I drafted and acquired top talent.    I made a lot of trades to continually upgrade and added savvy veteran help to teach the younger players, I made some shrewd trades, and I hit on my draft picks.  Perreault, Martin, Ramsay, Hajt, Schoenfeld, Gare, Edwards ...  Three years to the playoffs and five to the Cup with a great talent base accumulated before another heart attack, or two.  It was time to go.  When I left the Aud was loud, and proud, and packed to capacity and hockey was fun.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

Sunday’s game is national on NBC.  Could an embarrassment on national TV finally result in some changes?

Maybe.  But we are already past the point of "having to do something" with nothing happening!

Eichel, Reinhart, and to a slightly lesser extent Hall were total no-shows tonight.

Jack is officially not trying.  He isn't close to trying.

I'm beginning to think he asked for a trade last off-season and was told "keep this under wraps while we work on it" and he's losing patience now.

16 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Maybe.  But we are already past the point of "having to do something" with nothing happening!

Eichel, Reinhart, and to a slightly lesser extent Hall were total no-shows tonight.

Jack is officially not trying.  He isn't close to trying.

I'm beginning to think he asked for a trade last off-season and was told "keep this under wraps while we work on it" and he's losing patience now.

I just think he’s sick of playing RK’s “system”.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Imagine if fans were paying to see them play ?? Can you imagine? 

Blow it up

Blow what up? We are in last place every year....how much worse can you get?  Hire an experienced , quality GM and let him run the team.

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

Blow what up? We are in last place every year....how much worse can you get?  Hire an experienced , quality GM and let him run the team.

What we should have done in 2017 instead of a first timer. Same with the coaching decisions. Catalogue of errors. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nitro60 said:

Risto has not bounced back from his Covid scare.  The mental aspect to his game is not sharp.

9 hours ago, jad1 said:

Remember when the Sabres traded one of their best players for a bunch of trash because they believed that player lost his love for the game, and then that player led his new team to the Stanley Cup and won the Conn Smythe trophy?

And remember when the Sabres decided to top that move by hiring a new coach who spent the last six years in the English Premier League? I mean the English Premier League isn't even a hockey league.  It's a soccer league!

(Sorry, sometimes I just need to repeat this s### to remind myself that it actually happened.)

^Whatever Dahlin's faults - his development looked a heck of a lot more on track under Housley. The franchise really, really screwed the pooch handing over his development at such a crucial time, to the NHL-inexperienced Krueger. Shameful.

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Surprised this isn't getting more play! This is a fireable offense on its own. He expected a dip? But he didn't rest him?! And he's been loading up his minutes, in back to backs, since he came back? Yet a rookie Cozens gets sat for "rest?"

He may actually be a con-man. 

I think he does get canned in the coming days, actually. This is hella embarrassing and Krueger is a big part of it, and justifiably the face of it. 

• Like (+1) 3

As much as I want RK gone, firing him and bringing in a new coach might only be a short term correction.  The real fix is a series of moves and an organizational structure change.  

Hockey Operations on this team should be run by an experienced hockey person. One that is respected throughout the NHL. To help change the culture, this person may be tasked with trading some valuable assets that are now looking a bit tainted.  So we really need to fix the traditional GM role first.  Make this person accountable to pick the coach,  and let them both work the roster.   In this way the new coach has accountability too.  

Adams should move to a business position and be the buffer that talks to the Pegula’s.  Adams is sharp and should be effective at the financials, sales/marketing, and most importantly isolating the hockey side from the ownership. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

As much as I want RK gone, firing him and bringing in a new coach might only be a short term correction.  The real fix is a series of moves and an organizational structure change.  

Hockey Operations on this team should be run by an experienced hockey person. One that is respected throughout the NHL. To help change the culture, this person may be tasked with trading some valuable assets that are now looking a bit tainted.  So we really need to fix the traditional GM role first.  Make this person accountable to pick the coach,  and let them both work the roster.   In this way the new coach has accountability too.  

Adams should move to a business position and be the buffer that talks to the Pegula’s.  Adams is sharp and should be effective at the financials, sales/marketing, and most importantly isolating the hockey side from the ownership. 

I agree 100% we also must get an experienced, veteran NHL man to oversee everything. The GM/Coach need to be attached at the hip accountabliity wise

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I tend to agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm sure he wants another opportunity, but do you really think any coach with past success wants to take over this team....that looks like it might take YEARS to get to the poing of being a cup contender?  I think most of the 'bigger names' would rather just sit out..relax..do tv and radio work....and wait for a better job to open up.

Hate to say this (as I love Gallant) but you are probably right on with this.

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I didn’t though.  I had really nothing much to work with so I brought in a good damm goalie first. You need a goalie to ever have a chance.   I put a scrappy and tough cast of characters out there while I drafted and acquired top talent.    I made a lot of trades to continually upgrade and added savvy veteran help to teach the younger players, I made some shrewd trades, and I hit on my draft picks.  Perreault, Martin, Ramsay, Hajt, Schoenfeld, Gare, Edwards ...  Three years to the playoffs and five to the Cup with a great talent base accumulated before another heart attack, or two.  It was time to go.  When I left the Aud was loud, and proud, and packed to capacity and hockey was fun.  

Behind every great man is a great woman. How much did Dodo help? I've always wanted to ask. She was a great hockey fan.

EJsPep6XYAAZgq_.png

In the process of finding that image, I found another one that accompanied it in the paper. It's too good not to share. One of the greatest moments in the early days of the franchise and a portent of today...

EJsPep6XkAAa-CC.png

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Behind every great man is a great woman. How much did Dodo help? I've always wanted to ask. She was a great hockey fan.

EJsPep6XYAAZgq_.png

In the process of finding that image, I found another one that accompanied it in the paper. It's too good not to share. One of the greatest moments in the early days of the franchise and a portent of today...

EJsPep6XkAAa-CC.png

she used to throw a hat on the ice after every hat trick. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.