Dylan Cozens Appreciation Thread

IKnowPhysics

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm not arguing about what should have been the best course of action regarding the assemblage of the roster. That is what you are doing. Where we are at is where we are at. What we have to work with is what we have to work with. Because of the way the roster is currently constructed with a lot of young players and marginal players Cozens's role will be more advanced than it would be with most teams. I'm aware of that. There really isn't much difference in our views other than I'm less concerned than you are in giving Cozens an advanced role. You believe that it will be to his detriment while I'm less worried about it because of his more resilient makeup.  

The Sabres not only have no 1st line to shelter Mittelstadt nor Cozens, they don't have a legit 1st pairing D to give support, nor do they have an NHL quality netminder either.  

The kids aren't getting any favors done for them by management.  And the concerns aren't just regarding Dylan.  Mitts will likely be over his head again as well.

Textbook "How NOT to Develop the Kids."

And you may be right.  Throwing those 2 to the wolves may not damage either.  Won't believe it until we see it (presuming we have to watch it unfold as it appears set to unfold).

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The Sabres not only have no 1st line to shelter Mittelstadt nor Cozens, they don't have a legit 1st pairing D to give support, nor do they have an NHL quality netminder either.  

The kids aren't getting any favors done for them by management.  And the concerns aren't just regarding Dylan.  Mitts will likely be over his head again as well.

Textbook "How NOT to Develop the Kids."

And you may be right.  Throwing those 2 to the wolves may not damage either.  Won't believe it until we see it (presuming we have to watch it unfold as it appears set to unfold).

You are very adamant in your stance about this. How do you reconcile the current situation with Granato then? I’m assuming it would be your opinion that someone of his experience and pedigree would agree with you and disagree with the current situation. Do you the. think his concerns have been voiced and he has been ignored? Is it possible he’s on board?

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SDS said:

You are very adamant in your stance about this. How do you reconcile the current situation with Granato then? I’m assuming it would be your opinion that someone of his experience and pedigree would agree with you and disagree with the current situation. Do you the. think his concerns have been voiced and he has been ignored? Is it possible he’s on board?

He knows the roster is weak and lacking veteran leadership.  He would not draw it up this way but he has no choice.  He is taking on a huge challenge.  

He is not going to turn down an NHL HC job though. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SDS said:

Doubt his concerns have been ignored.  Believe he expected that he'd have a goaltender which makes the whole thing FAR more tenable.  Believe he also expected something useful to come back in an Eichel deal.  Should that happen, it won't be as bad.  But no indication that help now is coming and the rhetoric actually implies it won't.

Expect he's being the good soldier and sees that there will be talent here in 2 or (more likely) 3 years and has expectations that unless the wheels are completely off the tracks in year 2 that he'll be here for year 3.

But unless a goalie like Gibson is a centerpiece of the return for Eichel, he will have a very difficult task in getting a reasonable system installed as playing the right way in their own end will still result in too many goals against to have a chance in most games and going into Alamo mode will not teach them the right way to play back there.  And needing a Gibson type return reduces the chance even a poor man's 1C will come back.  IMHO.  YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Doubt his concerns have been ignored.  Believe he expected that he'd have a goaltender which makes the whole thing FAR more tenable.  Believe he also expected something useful to come back in an Eichel deal.  Should that happen, it won't be as bad.  But no indication that help now is coming and the rhetoric actually implies it won't.

Expect he's being the good soldier and sees that there will be talent here in 2 or (more likely) 3 years and has expectations that unless the wheels are completely off the tracks in year 2 that he'll be here for year 3.

But unless a goalie like Gibson is a centerpiece of the return for Eichel, he will have a very difficult task in getting a reasonable system installed as playing the right way in their own end will still result in too many goals against to have a chance in most games and going into Alamo mode will not teach them the right way to play back there.  And needing a Gibson type return reduces the chance even a poor man's 1C will come back.  IMHO.  YMMV.

So when Adams says he wants to put the youth in all situations and he doesn’t want otjer players blocking them, is it your opinion that sentiment comes from Adams or do you think that’s informed by Granato?

The point being, if we were to accept your assertion as true, it would be reasonable to an conclude that Granato already knows this and that there is now a serious disconnect between the head coach and Adams/Karmonas. There really is no other way to look at this.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

If he does 20+20 next year I'm happy, anything else is a bonus.   Same goes for casey.

You mean 20 goals and 20 assists?

I think that would be fantastic production for him.  I doubt he hits that. Mitts is more likely to get there.

45 minutes ago, SDS said:

So when Adams says he wants to put the youth in all situations and he doesn’t want otjer players blocking them, is it your opinion that sentiment comes from Adams or do you think that’s informed by Granato?

The point being, if we were to accept your assertion as true, it would be reasonable to an conclude that Granato already knows this and that there is now a serious disconnect between the head coach and Adams/Karmonas. There really is no other way to look at this.

You are making this out to be an all or nothing Granato is on board or he isn't.  That doesn't have to be the case.  Adams has admitted that he was not able to follow his plan regarding goaltending.   The plan was to have Ullmark giving the team NHL caliber goaltending.  Granato, who has more faith in his own skill than yours truly does at present, believed with NHL goaltending he could have the kids at least learning though likely not winning.  He might prove out to be as good as he believes, truly hope he is, Adams too.  But until he demonstrates that, won't expect it.  And even if he is as good as he hopes/believes he is; with no 1st liners & no goaltending this is a Herculean task.

And, there is no reason to believe that the plan wasn't to have a kid that could be in the mix with Mitts & Cozens or ideally a bit ahead of at least Cozens could come back and a serviceable 4th line to also help could be assembled without "blocking the kids" and give those other 2 kids support to make it tenable.  Though at this point, it looks like that was optimistic at minimum.

Granato could be "on board" with the plan on paper.  That at this moment, it appears Adams won't be able to execute the plan doesn't change that.  It really isn't all or nothing about them being on the same page.  And just because Don's now in a more difficult spot doesn't mean he'll bail on Adams.  He can't.  This likely is his last real shot at an NHL HCing job.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

The disconnect between myself and others who are countering my position on Cozens and how some of the other younger players will be handled revolves around their preference of how young players should normally/preferably be handled (slowly). That discussion does not completely relate to the situation in Buffalo because the course has been established by the front office for some  of the young players on this roster for the upcoming year. It's not a requirement that all the young players are going to be rushed into the NHL or play roles beyond what they are capable of. The majority of our young players will be developing in Rochester or elsewhere.

Players who demonstrate they can handle the roles assigned to them will remain in their roles. Players who don't demonstrate they can handle the roles assigned to them will be assigned a lesser role or sent down for further grooming. This isn't an ideal situation but it is the situation we are in.  

I will stick to my response that triggered an energetic counter response i.e. Cozens is not a player one needs to worry about if given an advanced role. I consider him to be an impressive youngster who is mature and resilient enough to handle whatever role that is assigned to him.

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The captaincy should be given to Okposo who has earned it. And the player waiting in the wings will be Cozens. 

Okposo is the obvious choice for captain this year. By the time he goes, hopefully his heir will be obvious.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Okposo is the obvious choice for captain this year. By the time he goes, hopefully his heir will be obvious.

No one should be ordained to be future captain. It has to be earned. However, if I had to guess who will earn that moniker in the near future my money is on Cozens. My sense is that Cozens isn't the type of person to have the loudest voice in the room. It's simply the way he carries himself. As you stated: we shall see. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The sooner we give Okposo the Captaincy, the sooner he will be gone.

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Weave said:

Thanks for posting.  He sounds like a good guy.

I like Scott too.  He actually is very articulate and is really good at interviewing people.

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

Listening now.

Unless something really changes I think this kid is going to be a good captain for this team.  IMO, the best captain since Peca.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.