Jim Lorentz’s Grandson to make NHL debut on Thursday

gilbert11

7 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Steven Lorentz, grandson of former Sabre fan favorite Jim Lorentz, will make his NHL debut with Carolina on Thursday.

As one that actually watched Jim play, I’m feeling old. 

"My God, I'm old" is the first thing that ran through my mind when I saw your thread title.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Steven Lorentz, grandson of former Sabre fan favorite Jim Lorentz, will make his NHL debut with Carolina on Thursday.

As one that actually watched Jim play, I’m feeling old. 

I remember when we got Batman.  I remember my younger sister being in 1st grade with his son.  Bloody hell, am I old.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I can remember Jim Lorentz as a Blue.   Sabres got him from the Rangers for a draft pick and he fit in right away.  He went right to 2nd line and although not much of a skater, he had nice hands and could score goals. 

Looking at his grandson in the video, the kid is a Lorentz alright.  He picks up a loose puck in that dirty area in front of the net and he finds the back of the net - of course he scores while falling down.  Classic Lorentz move.  Love it.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I can remember Jim Lorentz as a Blue.   Sabres got him from the Rangers for a draft pick and he fit in right away.  He went right to 2nd line and although not much of a skater, he had nice hands and could score goals. 

Looking at his grandson in the video, the kid is a Lorentz alright.  He picks up a loose puck in that dirty area in front of the net and he finds the back of the net - of course he scores while falling down.  Classic Lorentz move.  Love it.  

You remind me of one of goals Batman scored in Buffalo.  One of them he spun around and hit the puck into the net off the back of his skate and fell over. 

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You remind me of one of goals Batman scored in Buffalo.  One of them he spun around and hit the puck into the net off the back of his skate and fell over. 

So many times he got knocked on his butt when scoring.  He went to the net and took a beating.  Sometimes he would skate full speed and you could see his ankles wobbling and you wondered if he could do a hockey stop.  - or so it looked like it.  My Uncle and I would laugh.   Jim Lorentz was a character on a team and in an era filled with many characters.

We talk a lot about the current Sabres not having grit.  Lorentz was no fighter, but his desire to score and play in the slot was commendable.  Fans really appreciated his courageous play.   

I meet him several times in Buffalo and he was quite a gentleman.    

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.