GDT Sabres at Rangers 7PM 3-2-21

spndnchz

52 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Paul said that Kyle also said he was proud of Dylan. IMO, that's no hockey cliche. Dylan showed Kyle something Kyle hasn't seen around these parts.

Agree. 

Speaking of Okposo’s words being respected:

“Okposo said Sabres center Jack Eichel, an early-season MVP candidate, possesses the qualities to become a “top-tier captain.”

“He’s only going to continue to grow in that leadership role, and he’s done that,” he said. “He demands a lot out of teammates, out of everybody, because he puts in everything he’s got.””

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-kyle-okposo-understands-frustrations-i-know-people-are-mad/

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It's true that he's playing well, but at $6m/yr he needs to be scoring and creating more. 

It sucks... but that was 2 GMs ago.  I don't think he should be benched when you have cody eakin just dragging an entire line down.  No offensive zone ability, and can't pass or skate.  I guess he's good defensively, but he's living in the defensive zone anyway.  

Put a new center out there, give those minutes to casey.  

5 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Rib injury?  What's your source for that information?  Joe Micheletti?

😂

I forgot, he’s not “certainly playing injured” anymore, I guess. Tide’s turned 

2 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I have no idea what your post means, so there you have it, move along

The central premise of the most prominent arguments on this board supposing we may need to trade JE is the belief he has “given up”. That Jack himself may be beyond convincing. 

We have no idea if he’s emotionally checked out. Even thought it’s repeatedly purported as fact around here 

Edited by Last Eichel Fan

3 minutes ago, Last Eichel Fan said:

I forgot, he’s not “certainly playing injured” anymore, I guess. Tide’s turned 

The central premise of the most prominent arguments on this board supposing we may need to trade JE is the belief he has “given up”. 

I have no idea why that was sent to me, as Jack is my favorite player, and I believe he is the "franchise"

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck

3 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I have no idea why that was sent to me, as Jack is my favorite player, and I believe he is the "franchise"

Ah ic the crossed wires. Was more using your post as a launch pad because you mentioned the idea of hubris in the context of this convo, quotes won’t necessarily = disagreement (disclaimer) 

Edited by Last Eichel Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

This quote is pretty damning to the fight club crowd in the interpretation of last night. It’s readily apparent that Cozens is actually not Braveheart. He doesn’t live by a hockey code. He didn’t go out there to defend his space and do what’s necessary.

Contrary to his natural playing style and inclination, he deliberately had to think about starting a fight sometime in the future. He had to wait for the right time because, I’m guessing, players don’t actually just throw the gloves down and start pounding on peoples faces because it’s your job and that’s what hockey players do in 2021.

Last night was performative. Manufactured. He forced himself to do it once. You probably won’t see it again for the rest of the season. 

His teammates then gave performative responses to his performative fight. All the while, each and everyone of them could start a fight at any time for any reason and none of them do it. Why? Because it’s all performative words for a microphone stuck in their face. They don’t believe it. If they believed what they said they would do it themselves.

I think your assessment, especially the bold,  is incorrect.  He said he had been thinking of getting into a fight, that is true. Recall he set the screen on one of the goals already and he was again battling in front.  Now he is scrapping away in front of the net, he was challenged - the opportunity came, and he took it. He fought for the reasons many people thought, to try to spark this lifeless and morbid team.   He didn’t back away from the challenge, which is the norm for this team.

It didn’t seemed to help as all they did was muster 4 shots after that.   That is our team.  

Your righteous position on Hockey fights is well documented.  I am not going to argue that fighting is not a thing of the past, it is.  But it happens, and when it does you need players to respond, and not back down.  There are many ways to respond, and we do none of them.  We have too many that back down, or worse, that play without passion and even refuse to play the body.  The losing and the soft play has this fan base upset.  Even the Rangers color announcer understands it, he stated he spends time in Buffalo and knows the fan base.  

I think the  Cozens for Captain rhetoric last night was a huge over reaction but I understand why many in this abused fan base loved what he did and came to that emotional assessment.  

Most disappointing to me is the open discussion by some members on this board, and started by you, that baby boomers from WNY, who watched hockey in the 70’s, are not capable of understanding that the game has changed.   I thought such generalizations would be discouraged on this forum but apparently not.  

Of course, my feelings on this matter are tainted by my baby boomer status, my WNY upbringing, and the fact that I started watching hockey in 1965.  Clearly, these circumstances must mean that I, and others like me, just don’t understand the modern game.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

We have a 19 year old who, in his own words, said he was trying to do something to spark our team. Can that not be enough for everyone? Nobody has done jack ***** to provide a spark and our young guy went for it. Be happy we have someone who wants to fire up his team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Genuinely confused because I don't think I ever got into any major disagreements with you, at least like I have with SwampD (Bylsma) and Hank (I don't even remember what, I'm sorry Hank), triumphcommunes (about anything and everything) etc. ? 

I agree that it was a very well-thought-out post, but again, literally everyone engaging from that side of the issue has said essentially the same thing haha, nobody is grug the caveman here 

Grug is a decent enough guy once you get to know him. 

11 minutes ago, #freejame said:

We have a 19 year old who, in his own words, said he was trying to do something to spark our team. Can that not be enough for everyone? Nobody has done jack ***** to provide a spark and our young guy went for it. Be happy we have someone who wants to fire up his team. 

Yeah I get it... it speaks well for his character, as a rookie he's letting his teammates know what he's about.     

That's nice, but it doesn't move the needle wrt fixing what's wrong with the organization as a whole.

Guys that I'd like to see fight in the next few games in no particular order...

• Reinhart
  • VO
  • Skinner
  • Hall
  • Eichel
  • Dahlin
  • Hutton
  • Jokiharju

13 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Yeah I get it... it speaks well for his character, as a rookie he's letting his teammates know what he's about.     

That's nice, but it doesn't move the needle wrt fixing what's wrong with the organization as a whole.

• Reinhart
  • VO
  • Skinner
  • Hall
  • Eichel
  • Dahlin
  • Hutton
  • Jokiharju

Reinhart was ready to go a few games ago. The other guy didn't bite.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

• Reinhart
  • VO
  • Skinner
  • Hall
  • Eichel
  • Dahlin
  • Hutton
  • Jokiharju

The fact that he did drop his gloves before all those players you mentioned is part of the reason he’s being celebrated so to speak today. It shouldn’t have been him, but the fact that he’s willing to shows what the kid is made of. If you would have told me there was a fight last night and asked me to guess who it was, Cozens might have been the last person I guessed

54 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Most disappointing to me is the open discussion by some members on this board, and started by you, that baby boomers from WNY, who watched hockey in the 70’s, are not capable of understanding that the game has changed.   I thought such generalizations would be discouraged on this forum but apparently not.  

Of course, my feelings on this matter are tainted by my baby boomer status, my WNY upbringing, and the fact that I started watching hockey in 1965.  Clearly, these circumstances must mean that I, and others like me, just don’t understand the modern game.  

Amen to this.  And done so most fervently by our most often “victimized” poster.

34 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

• Reinhart
  • VO
  • Skinner
  • Hall
  • Eichel
  • Dahlin
  • Hutton
  • Jokiharju

You aren’t wrong to the bolded, but that is also a bit different argument. 

With regards to the other argument, if fighting in hockey still has a place among the players then fighting in hockey still has a place in the game. 

7 hours ago, Kristian said:

Pretty soon to be followed by "lowest number of W's in the league".

No relation, just pointing out that we're quite good at leading in dubious categories.

I'm not disagreeing, but I think they are related a little. We're not lowest in penalty minutes because we're some great Lady Byng laden finesse team that plays clean disciplined hockey, we're lowest in penalty minutes because we simply DON'T DO ANYTHING. 

You don't get many penalty minutes when you don't go into the tough areas, you don't fight/push back, you don't give'er as they say on the prairies. 

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not disagreeing, but I think they are related a little. We're not lowest in penalty minutes because we're some great Lady Byng laden finesse team that plays clean disciplined hockey, we're lowest in penalty minutes because we simply DON'T DO ANYTHING. 

You don't get many penalty minutes when you don't go into the tough areas, you don't fight/push back, you don't give'er as they say on the prairies. 

Agree 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

• Reinhart
  • VO
  • Skinner
  • Hall
  • Eichel
  • Dahlin
  • Hutton
  • Jokiharju

Id pay good $ to see Ralph fight someone. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Same here.

Unlike many of you I'm not a life long hockey/Sabre fan and got hooked in the Hasek era. If its one thing I've learned about hockey, without sufficient goaltending its all for not. The better the goaltending, the better your chance of success. I realize much more goes into the success of a hockey team then good goaltending. On the other hand its practically impossible to succeed without it IMO. I'm sure most would agree. I believe If Buffalo had not lost Ullmark for a long duration the Buffalo Sabres had ample time to right the ship. At this point Hutton in net is a team let down before the game begins IMO.

Without Jack the entertainment level of the Buffalo Sabres hits rock bottom IMO. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.