GDT Sabres at Rangers 7PM 3-2-21

spndnchz

Just now, Cal Naughton Jr said:

It blows my mind how some people can’t see it as a positive. Even if you don’t like fighting, you can still see it as a positive. I can agree with this 1000000%. And I like the fighting. We’ve lacked toughness for years. Is it a coincidence that we’ve been terrible for years? I don’t think so but that’s probably a different argument 

I grew up in the era of bench clearing brawls so when younger I liked it and it would be great if this was an up and coming team growing together.  To me it's a one time incident that won't matter but I did enjoy it a bit. I just don't think it will make a difference

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

It blows my mind how some people can’t see it as a positive. Even if you don’t like fighting, you can still see it as a positive. I can agree with this 1000000%. And I like the fighting. We’ve lacked toughness for years. Is it a coincidence that we’ve been terrible for years? I don’t think so but that’s probably a different argument 

If by toughness you mean heart, than I agree. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

I grew up in the era of bench clearing brawls so when younger I liked it and it would be great if this was an up and coming team growing together.  To me it's a one time incident that won't matter but I did enjoy it a bit. I just don't think it will make a difference

I think it depends on how far gone the locker room is. Does Jack care that Cozens fought somebody? I have no idea. I think it’s a big deal and a lot of other fans do as well, but if the players don’t give a ***** then obviously it was for nothing 

1 minute ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I think it depends on how far gone the locker room is. Does Jack care that Cozens fought somebody? I have no idea. I think it’s a big deal and a lot of other fans do as well, but if the players don’t give a ***** then obviously it was for nothing 

Why is it a big deal that cozens did it? 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Why is it a big deal that cozens did it? 

He’s the only one that has. It could have been anyone else. But the fact that it was Cozens is big in my eyes. Was fighting even allowed in his junior league? I haven’t ever heard of him fighting anybody. That’s why, to me, it’s a big deal. It’s not like he’s some goon like John Scott just fighting people for no reason

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

They were decidedly neutral. Their corsi is just over 50%. xGF% is 50.3, HDCF% is 59 so that is interesting and they started in the o zone or neutral zone most of the time with only 4 def zone starts. 

Right but watching the game they generated chances, didn't seem trapped in the defensive zone a ton.  

Eakin to me is more of a problem than okposo at this point.  The line had a goal, but they can't get it out of their zone.  And yet they continue to start in the d zone. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

This seems like a lot of revisionist history regarding the Eichel fight.

I do remember Jack getting the only penalty because the other guy never dropped his gloves.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Did it elicit and emotional response from the team? 

Yes. They didn’t score, but it did elicit an emotional response.

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't get it. I was happy Cozens didn't back down and he showed emotion but in the grand scheme of this season and this team, it doesn't mean *****. 

I was happy, too. Then a bunch of people told me I shouldn’t be and called me a boomer (of which I am not.)

21 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

He’s the only one that has. It could have been anyone else. But the fact that it was Cozens is big in my eyes. Was fighting even allowed in his junior league? I haven’t ever heard of him fighting anybody. That’s why, to me, it’s a big deal. It’s not like he’s some goon like John Scott just fighting people for no reason

But again, what does it actually mean? What did it even accomplish? The Sabres aren't losing because their big names don't punch ppl. 

People want to be excited about the fight, that's fine, but don't act like it was some big important milestone for this team. 

11 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Right but watching the game they generated chances, didn't seem trapped in the defensive zone a ton.  

Eakin to me is more of a problem than okposo at this point.  The line had a goal, but they can't get it out of their zone.  And yet they continue to start in the d zone. 

They also played the Rangers, a team that isn't good. 

Edited by LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I do remember Jack getting the only penalty because the other guy never dropped his gloves.

I was happy, too. Then a bunch of people told me I shouldn’t be and called me a boomer (of which I am not.)

Cool you were happy. Now again, someone tell me what that fight matters at all outside of the 1 minute when it occurred. 

You are conflating the idea that people are dismissing the fight in the cold light of day with the idea that you weren't allowed to enjoy it in the moment and they are not the same thing. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But again, what does it actually mean? What did it even accomplish? The Sabres aren't losing because their big names don't punch ppl. 

People want to be excited about the fight, that's fine, but don't act like it was some big important milestone for this team. 

They also played the Rangers, a team that isn't good. 

Do you come here just to argue with people?

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cool you were happy. Now again, someone tell me what that fight matters at all outside of the 1 minute when it occurred. 

You are conflating the idea that people are dismissing the fight in the cold light of day with the idea that you weren't allowed to enjoy it in the moment and they are not the same thing. 

I already said why it matters. You don’t want to hear why it matters because it can’t be quantified, so to you, it doesn’t.

4 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Do you come here just to argue with people?

But again, what does it (the fight) actually mean? What did it even accomplish? The Sabres aren't losing because their big names don't punch ppl. 

Just now, SwampD said:

I already said why it matters. You don’t want to hear why it matters because it can’t be quantified, so to you, it doesn’t.

Why did it matter?

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Cozens did something meaningful last night, you felt it, most of this thread felt it, Kyle Okposo certainly felt it and had to gush about it, Rob Ray felt it, Paul Hamilton felt it, etc. 

Snark from people sitting on their butts and texting on their phone should change nothing about your recognition of this 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I'll ask you the same question. Why did Dylan Cozens throwing some punches matter? 

Common sense would say it shows that he actually has a pulse, which most of the team lacks.  I mean, duh, it didn't affect the score, obviously.  And honestly, who gives a flying f what the data says about fighting and the outcome of a game.  Bottom line, most of the fans appreciate the fact that he tried to fire up his team, even if for a brief moment.  Unfortunately, this collective group of idiots can't be fired up because they lack the fortitude to do so.  Why can't the likes of you just leave it alone?  Why does it matter so much why it matter?  To some it does.  To some it doesn't.  Who cares.  Move along.  

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll play. I didn't watch any of the game, and and only saw the fight (actually, the beat down) on Twitter. I think it may matter because Cozens showed remarkable energy, heart, and bravery when, as a 19 year old rookie, he scrapped with a young veteran who apparently plays a physical style and can presumably handle himself. The fact that Cozens opened up a can of whoop ass only adds value. Those are intangible things, but I'd say they're important -- especially to a hockey team (maybe even more so than to other sports teams).

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I know it’s common place to rag on Okposo, but I thought he has played much better recently than he has in a very long time. I mean, he’s equally as ineffective as anyone else on the ice, but not more so. What you just posted doesn’t surprise me at all.

But reading this board, Cozens has been one of the Sabres few bright spots and Okposo needs to be punted into the Lake Erie with a train locomotive tied to his ankle.

And that was even before Dylan went all Mike Weber on some guy.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

But again, what does it (the fight) actually mean? What did it even accomplish? The Sabres aren't losing because their big names don't punch ppl. 

None of us are in the locker room, so we don't know.  Perhaps it means that a young kid is willing to show the rest of the locker room that he is willing to do whatever it takes to win.  Whether the rest of the room cares?  Many may not, so it may not accomplish a better result going forward.  

I don't think Cozens is expecting the other stars to throwing punches, but maybe his intent is to inspire the other players to break out of their complacent comfort zones and do something different than they are now to try and win.  I for one am not confident it will work with this bunch of players.

Regardless, I think Cozens took some initiative that much of the Sabre fan base appreciates.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, John Tucker said:

Common sense would say it shows that he actually has a pulse, which most of the team lacks.  I mean, duh, it didn't affect the score, obviously.  And honestly, who gives a flying f what the data says about fighting and the outcome of a game.  Bottom line, most of the fans appreciate the fact that he tried to fire up his team, even if for a brief moment.  Unfortunately, this collective group of idiots can't be fired up because they lack the fortitude to do so.  Why can't the likes of you just leave it alone?  Why does it matter so much why it matter?  To some it does.  To some it doesn't.  Who cares.  Move along.  

Well I learned 2 things. First why you think it matters which I don't question. It certainly mattered in the moment to see some Sabre show a sign of being alive. 

and...

Second that you feel so threatened by my questioning that fights overall importance that you had to lash out. Move along indeed. 

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'll play. I didn't watch any of the game, and and only saw the fight (actually, the beat down) on Twitter. I think it may matter because Cozens showed remarkable energy, heart, and bravery when, as a 19 year old rookie, he scrapped with a young veteran who apparently plays a physical style and can presumably handle himself. The fact Those are intangible things, but I'd say they're important -- especially a to a hockey team (maybe even more so than to other sports teams).

I am not playing a game. I desperately trying to find some reason to give a ***** about this abomination of a team. Cozens might be the only bright spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

None of us are in the locker room, so we don't know.  Perhaps it means that a young kid is willing to show the rest of the locker room that he is willing to do whatever it takes to win.  Whether the rest of the room cares?  Many may not, so it may not accomplish a better result going forward.  

I don't think Cozens is expecting the other stars to throwing punches, but maybe his intent is to inspire the other players to break out of their complacent comfort zones and do something different than they are now to try and win.  I for one am not confident it will work with this bunch of players.

Regardless, I think Cozens took some initiative that much of the Sabre fan base appreciates.

I think this is really well put - especially the bolded bit above.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

Thank you. This is at least a response I can read and understand outside of "kid punch ppl, he do good." I hope you are right about the bolded. 

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'll play. I didn't watch any of the game, and and only saw the fight (actually, the beat down) on Twitter. I think it may matter because Cozens showed remarkable energy, heart, and bravery when, as a 19 year old rookie, he scrapped with a young veteran who apparently plays a physical style and can presumably handle himself. The fact that Cozens opened up a can of whoop ass only adds value. Those are intangible things, but I'd say they're important -- especially a to a hockey team (maybe even more so than to other sports teams).

Yeah but why did it matter? Just kidding. Spot on assessment. Sadly it won’t be enough for him

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Well I learned 2 things. First why you think it matters which I don't question. It certainly mattered in the moment to see some Sabre show a sign of being alive. 

and...

Second that you feel so threatened by my questioning that fights overall importance that you had to lash out. Move along indeed. 

I am not playing a game. I desperately trying to find some reason to give a ***** about this abomination of a team. Cozens might be the only bright spot. 

To that, we can agree.  He appears to be the bright spot that hopefully doesn't get tainted by the rest of this putrid roster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.