GDT Sabres at Rangers 7PM 3-2-21

spndnchz

I’m certainly not going to debate anybody on the importance of fighting in hockey. The game is going away from it but it still has a place. To me Cozens dropping the gloves was absolutely huge. Did we win the game? Obviously not. But I know he earned respect in the locker room. Hell he earned a newfound respect with a lot of people here. It shouldn’t have had to be him but he did it anyways. And he looked great doing it. Bravo Dylan, bravo...

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

You think the GM and Ownership should call a press conference or put out a public statement, why exactly?  Because the team lost 3 in a row?

Because history has shown us that ownership and/or GM press conferences are chock full of good information, straight talk, 100% truths, and make fans feel all warm and comfortable like an old sweater. They leave no stone unturned, and answer every question so no one has any more doubts or skepticism about their ability to lead and fix any issues. Press conferences are a very useful tool to calm the clenched buttholes of restless fans. 

Edited by Zamboni
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, BuffalOhio said:

Da heck is wrong with RK?  How do you NOT put Cozens back on the line with Hall and Staal.  That's been the best line we've had lately.  They pass the eye test!  Maybe RK needs his eyes checked.

Because Ralph is more concerned with veterans that he likes as opposed to winning hockey games. He plays favorites. 

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

You think the GM and Ownership should call a press conference or put out a public statement, why exactly?  Because the team lost 3 in a row?

EDIT: whoops, it’s 4 in a row.  I lose track.

You are aware multiple sports reporter's have been asking our GM for interview time with no response.

What is KA supposed to say?  All you're going to hear is "It's been an unprecedented season with the long layoff and lack of a proper training camp the team hasn't been able to come together yet on the ice but we feel we have the right mix and are 100% behind Ralph and the coaching staff who are doing everything they can to uh blah blah blah. "

1 hour ago, Last Eichel Fan said:

Just got to this. I'm glad I reposted a couple times since your post here got Zero likes and all the posts about needing a real leader got like 10 each. 

What Eichel did last year wasn't a fight, it was an assault on an unwilling individual.  At the time he was pissed that everyone kept calling him out for not leading by example so he dropped the gloves with a guy that he knew wouldn't return any punches.  That's not leadership, that's a spoiled little brat's attempt at showing he's worthy of the "C".  His "fight" obviously had nothing to do with the outcome or the rest of the season.  The team around him sucks and I'm sure the one's that do care saw his hollow attempt for exactly what it was.  Leaders lead.  He's too busy circling around the perimeter and praying for the best.  The rest of the team follows his leadership.  It's pretty obvious that Cozens has jam to his game and that's the type of leader this team needs.

• Like (+1) 3

Trying to measure fighting and its impact by using goals for/against in the next five minutes strikes me as almost complete hubris about the ability to measure things. The use of the tactic of being able to define and measure everything is becoming laughable to the point that the misuse is blatantly absurd. The example is about like looking to see the temperature outside and whether it was a good day or not.

• Like (+1) 1

Well it’s the day after the Cozens fight.  The sun is up, the sky is blue, etc.  

The standings show the Sabres with 15 points in 20 games.  They are on a 4 game losing streak.   Last in the division and currently last in the league.  A place they are familiar with and seemingly accepting off.  Even with the new guys, including a Hart Trophy winner and a former Captain of a SC champion, we just can’t get better.  

Dahlin said we needed some spark, perhaps a fight.  Eichel agreed.  We got the fight, but still only managed 4 shots on goal after that.  

Change is one thing that Pegula can do.  Many think it’s the reason for the prolonged bad performance,  Doing nothing won’t help and it’s likely something changes soon.    

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

This is from the NYR post game show.

Listen to Steve Valliquette ream out the Sabres!

Loved it.

That guy summarized the Sabres team perfectly.  We're a joke and everyone knows it all across the league and certainly our division.

3 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

That guy summarized the Sabres team perfectly.  We're a joke and everyone knows it all across the league and certainly our division.

Yeah I mean he’s just seeing what we see on a nightly basis. This is why Krueger needs to go. He’s lost the team and it’s painfully obvious 

This quote is pretty damning to the fight club crowd in the interpretation of last night. It’s readily apparent that Cozens is actually not Braveheart. He doesn’t live by a hockey code. He didn’t go out there to defend his space and do what’s necessary.

Contrary to his natural playing style and inclination, he deliberately had to think about starting a fight sometime in the future. He had to wait for the right time because, I’m guessing, players don’t actually just throw the gloves down and start pounding on peoples faces because it’s your job and that’s what hockey players do in 2021.

Last night was performative. Manufactured. He forced himself to do it once. You probably won’t see it again for the rest of the season. 

His teammates then gave performative responses to his performative fight. All the while, each and everyone of them could start a fight at any time for any reason and none of them do it. Why? Because it’s all performative words for a microphone stuck in their face. They don’t believe it. If they believed what they said they would do it themselves.

53 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

You are aware multiple sports reporter's have been asking our GM for interview time with no response.

I didn’t know that.  But I can not imagine what they would say that changes anything, so it doesn’t bother me.  What interesting information do you think you are going to get from the GM or ownership right now?

44 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

What Eichel did last year wasn't a fight, it was an assault on an unwilling individual.  At the time he was pissed that everyone kept calling him out for not leading by example so he dropped the gloves with a guy that he knew wouldn't return any punches.  That's not leadership, that's a spoiled little brat's attempt at showing he's worthy of the "C".  His "fight" obviously had nothing to do with the outcome or the rest of the season.  The team around him sucks and I'm sure the one's that do care saw his hollow attempt for exactly what it was.  Leaders lead.  He's too busy circling around the perimeter and praying for the best.  The rest of the team follows his leadership.  It's pretty obvious that Cozens has jam to his game and that's the type of leader this team needs.

This seems like a lot of revisionist history regarding the Eichel fight.

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

This quote is pretty damning to the fight club crowd in the interpretation of last night. It’s readily apparent that Cozens is actually not Braveheart. He doesn’t live by a hockey code. He didn’t go out there to defend his space and do what’s necessary.

Contrary to his natural playing style and inclination, he deliberately had to think about starting a fight sometime in the future. He had to wait for the right time because, I’m guessing, players don’t actually just throw the gloves down and start pounding on peoples faces because it’s your job and that’s what hockey players do in 2021.

Last night was performative. Manufactured. He forced himself to do it once. You probably won’t see it again for the rest of the season. 

His teammates then gave performative responses to his performative fight. All the while, each and everyone of them could start a fight at any time for any reason and none of them do it. Why? Because it’s all performative words for a microphone stuck in their face. They don’t believe it. If they believed what they said they would do it themselves.

Are you mad that Cozens dropped the gloves? Your agenda is starting to get weird now 

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Not a single person said anything about fighting every shift, every night.  Quite contrary to your interpretation of the quote, the fact that he WANTED to spark the club with a fight speaks to the importance of it.  Again, you may be giddy over watching pond hockey but there is still a very large portion of every market's fan base that gets excited over this.  You're correct, it will eventually go away due to public pressure but that doesn't make it a good thing.  Checking will eventually be outlawed too.  There's a reason why nobody watches the NHL All-Star game.  20 goals a game with no intensity isn't exactly interesting.  I can do that on my xBox.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

This seems like a lot of revisionist history regarding the Eichel fight.

I mean... It was pretty clear why he fought.

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

All I’ll add is that just because an act is performative, does not mean that it is void of or unable to elicit an emotional response in others.

23 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I thought the line played well with okposo on it

They were decidedly neutral. Their corsi is just over 50%. xGF% is 50.3, HDCF% is 59 so that is interesting and they started in the o zone or neutral zone most of the time with only 4 def zone starts. 

It can be debated whether it elicited any response from the team.  The stats would say NO, meaning no perceived "lift" in the play of the other players....disappointing. 

I would say though that if this were a home game last night in front of a full arena, the response from the crowd might be deafening....which still may or may not inspire this current team, but at least the fans in the stands would be charged-up.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

It can be debated whether it elicited any response from the team.  The stats would say NO, meaning no perceived "lift" in the play of the other players....disappointing. 

I would say though that if this were a home game in front of a full arena, the response from the crowd might be deafening....which still may or may not inspire this current team, but at least the fans in the building would be charged-up.

Who the hell gets excited watching a team that can't score, can't keep the puck out of it's own net, and shows no visible display of life.  The only reason I'm still in this forum is because I have a sliver of excitement in maybe, possibly, seeing them carry this over into the next game.  Otherwise, like I keep saying, I have no interest in watching a lifeless team of incompetents play pond hockey!!  I mean, who does?!?!?!  🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.