GDT Sabres at Rangers 7PM 3-2-21

spndnchz

25 minutes ago, SDS said:

Oh. I am absolutely claiming the moral high ground. I will own that all day long. It is 2021 and every year that passes it becomes a worse abomination in my eyes. I’m not trying to be edgy. I’m stating an opinion that should be on the Classic Rock channel by now. WNY is cheering a guy that barely has hair on his nuts for getting in a fight. A fight I bet he felt pressured into. It’s embarrassing.

I am also well aware that my style absolutely sucks. I own that too. 

Cozens is a Yukon boy. He ain't skeered of no hockey fights. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SDS said:

Side story.

Someone mentioned beer league a few pages back. During a tournament I got a penalty and was sitting in the box. Someone cheap shotted our captain and I jumped over the boards and tackled the guy. The raft looked at me and asked, incredulously, did you just come out of the box? Lol

I’m pretty sure I got thrown out of the game. Maybe out of the tournament. And I paid for that privilege.  It was not money well spent. No one was taught a lesson. We got our ***** kicked. And all I got is this ***** story 12 years later.

So you learned your lesson not to fight while playing in a beer league?  Then to overcome your shame and the lost investment you started a crusade against hockey fights and all of the old men from WNY who don’t think like you?   

Edited by Pimlach

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

Side story.

Someone mentioned beer league a few pages back. During a tournament I got a penalty and was sitting in the box. Someone cheap shotted our captain and I jumped over the boards and tackled the guy. The raft looked at me and asked, incredulously, did you just come out of the box? Lol

I’m pretty sure I got thrown out of the game. Maybe out of the tournament. And I paid for that privilege.  It was not money well spent. No one was taught a lesson. We got our ***** kicked. And all I got is this ***** story 12 years later.

So you've felt this lifeblood coursing through your veins, and you still get all nerdy about it?? 😝

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

The fight was a short-term release and reprieve. Fighting is being legislated out of the game; kids are growing up without fighting in the first place, AHLers are not having to fight to make it. These are good things because the talent level of hockey is off the charts at this level and watching a goalie make an amazing save and wondering how in the world...  or seeing the tape to tape from 80 feet away while player X is moving 10 mph at this angle and player Y is accelerating to 22 mph... and they snare the wobbling puck out of the air and turn their head up ice... It's a thing of beauty.

But all team sports or 1:1 sports (heck, even golf but it's internal) are about human confrontation. What will you do when are pushed? Will you defend yourself or will you capitulate? Will you lose the battle for the puck? Will you stand up for your teammates or are you going to skate back to the bench? Will you continue to knife through the defense and force them to take a penalty on you lest they give up a goal, or will you let the puck roll away to the corner and go for a change?

We saw it 2 nights ago at the end of a drubbing -- a Flyers guy docked Dahlin in the head and they confronted each other and Dahlin backed down, gave up, folded, and turned away. And the Rangers had won. Dahlin didn't have to fight, he had to stand up for himself. As long as a team or a player tries to intimidate you and you fold, you've lost. The greatest finesse teams might be able to win a game, but I have yet to see a finesse team win that didn't also intimidate the hell out of the opposition. And often those finesse teams are surprisingly gritty (at least the ones that win). This team has been being pushed around since Miller got ran by Lucic, and financially they were operating out of fear before that.

A spark of toughness in standing up for yourself is cathartic, and Cozens provided that tonight. It may not amount to anything, but I'm reminded of that @ Arizona game back in Eichel's rookie year with the brawl to close the game. Eichel, Reino, Bogosian walking back to the dressing room and laughing/smiling. They didn't back down. And that team had hope --- they came back from 3rd period deficits a bunch. It didn't carry over to the next season, regrettably, but it was a team that started to come together down the stretch. 

This team needs that. This franchise needs that. They need to stand up for themselves. It doesn't have to be a fight, but it has to be the willingness to fight if it comes to it.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, SDS said:

Side story.

Not to be a dick, but the fact that you can tell that story now? You got every penny's worth of that tourney.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, SDS said:

Side story.

“And all I got is this ***** story 12 years later.”

But just think, if you hadn’t done it, you wouldn’t even have that!

15 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Not to be a dick, but the fact that you can tell that story now? You got every penny's worth of that tourney.

Yes. I was born in WNY and grew up with all the WNY attitudes. This was also 2007.

I only mentioned it to state that I also once believed all this tough guy stuff and how the game was played. Thankfully I didn’t hurt the guy, who was an adult, poorly skilled, amateur athlete like me, who I’m sure has a job (and probably a wife and maybe kids) that he needed to go to on Monday morning. 

“But that’s the way the game is played.“

Nah. That’s what a bunch of people marketed to us over the years. And now it’s going away. I was wrong then. I don’t think I’m wrong now.

26 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

So you've felt this lifeblood coursing through your veins, and you still get all nerdy about it?? 😝

Nah. I had a learned behavior and I  learned to question the underlying attitudes over time. It’s OK to challenge orthodoxy.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

Yes. I was born in WNY and they grew up with all the WNY attitudes. This was also 2007.

I only mentioned it to state that I also once believed all this tough guy stuff and how the game was played. Thankfully I didn’t hurt the guy, who was an adult, poorly skilled, amateur athlete like me, who I’m sure has a job (and probably a wife and maybe kids) that he needed to go to on Monday morning. 

Nah. That’s what a bunch of people marketed to us over the years. And now it’s going away. I was wrong then. I don’t think I’m wrong now.

When he cheapshotted your captain, he knew whatever came next was his fault. I give you permission to be guilt free.

Every time I got my ass whooped, while angry at first, upon reflection, I deserved every bit, and am angry that I didn't realize it real time.

And none of this has anything to do with how NHL players view what happened tonight.

It's their job. Both guys would have no problem having beers at the hotel bar together tonight, that is, if Cozens was old enough.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

When he cheapshotted your captain, he knew whatever came next was his fault. I give you permission to be guilt free.

Every time I got my ass whooped, while angry at first, upon reflection, I deserved every bit, and am angry that I didn't realize it real time.

And none of this has anything to do with how NHL players view what happened tonight.

It's their job. Both guys would have no problem having beers at the hotel bar together tonight, that is, if Cozens was old enough.

It’s not actually their job to punch people. 

If I was tell the story more carefully, I guess I don’t actually really remember what sparked the incident. I do remember there were three guys standing around him shoving him from person to person. Honestly, given the reaction it was probably his fault. Lol (I apologize for the sloppy retelling of the story). 

Regardless, I was completely in the wrong. And I spent a decade playing with amateur dickheads reliving their Ty Domi dreams. It was an eye-opener and it changed my opinion over time. 

3 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Can someone explain to me why I would be wrong to consider these stats near meaningless because I'm not sure how much of Fox and Shesterkin Skinner saw.

Their top pair dismantled our top line and Skinner had a nice night against the bottom pair.  If you consider not scoring a nice evening.  

I don't need advanced stats to tell me this.  

What am I missing?

3 hours ago, Curt said:

These stats show that Skinner’s line played very well in the role they were deployed in this game.  That’s all.

If you watched the game and saw the same thing, that’s cool.  If someone didn’t watch and just checked these numbers, they could learn something they wouldn’t otherwise know.

Just because the numbers show something that you already believe to be true doesn’t mean they are meaningless.

You know, there is a lost truth in all the Skinner vs Krueger nonsense our tribal storytelling testosterone-fuelled selves would rather wallow in (I missed Flagg): that line would be ridiculously effective if Jeff could ever cash in on even 1/10th of the chances he gets.

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Not a revelation, but when an analyst for another NHL team says this on their post game show, it's pretty bad IMO.

I mean he really threw us under the bus!
LOL

I dunno man, right or wrong, I’d like to punch that ***** in the face. Why are you so happy about it?
It’s like the Sabres are your ex-wife or something.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

We get it, you don't like fighting. Pretty sure you're a minority view. As for it "going away" you've got to be joking. Tampa finally won last year because they beefed up with grit (even Bogo) and finally fought back. St. Louis Boston was a war. Even Toronto added grit this year. You're dreaming if you think it's going away any time soon, and I am glad for that. 

Sabres on the other hand are a soft joke. "lowest penalty minutes in the league" like it's a badge of honour lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Got home late from work and just watched Cozens fight.  He held his own that’s for sure.  Been watching him closer as the season goes on.  He definitely comes to play and i can’t wait to see how he develops.  

Check out my new avatar.

37 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

They lost.  Don't care about the fight, don't care about Skinner's game... it's a loss.   

Do Better.

If you are going to take no joy in even the little things, it's going to be an even longer season for you.

😂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Don't know where we will find a goalie though unless 6K makes a massive leap,  Ullmark is a good 1B option but not our future 1A.

Good to see Cozens showing some spirit, didn't have to fight to show it though.

Ullmark has been great thus far, he keeps growing and improving each season. He gonna be a beast one way or another. 

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

can you waive somebody in the middle of game?

Our goaltending isn't an issue, though..

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I know I'm in the minority but I think brain dead moves like that turnover by Montour are the biggest problem.

The most egregious use of a first wasn't from Murray, it was Botterill shipping one and Guhle for Montour.

What an absolute dunce of a GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.