GDT Sabres at Rangers 7PM 3-2-21

spndnchz

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's funny the way metanarratives evolve - these views have lost a lot of their shine now that they no longer possess the edginess inherent to countercultural thinking. They stand rather nakedly, with not much to offer beneath the layer of smugness that cakes them

I didn't watch the game, but I heard a lot of callers, hosts, former hockey players, and current hockey players buzzing with energy afterwards because of Dylan Cozens. Being honest, I thought they had won the game when I started listening. Actually, it was so jarring that I was wondering why one close win against a bad team could make everyone sound like this given the context of this season (and decade). 

Almost exactly two years ago, Brandon Montour, Evan Rodrigues, and Conor Sheary combined to produce a goal with less than 3 minutes remaining. They won the game in overtime. I'd bet that less than 5% of the posters on this board can tell me anything else about the game I've just described. The reality is, had the Sabres tied and won tonight, Sabres players and fans wouldn't think about it again for the rest of their lives by the time this coming Islanders series is over. But there is a nonzero chance that Sabres fans talk about this Cozens fight a decade from now, and they certainly will remember it 3 years from now. It so obviously meant something to the players, fans, former players, and radio hosts that watched it - this was immediately self-evident. Humans use storytelling to drive their entire understanding of their universe and their place in it, to carry cultures and civilizations, and if Cozens works out the way he has a shot at working out, that fight will without a doubt kick off the Cozens chapter of Buffalo Sabre lore. The ugly context that depreciates the value a 3rd period tie will have to this season and our lasting memory of it also serves to amplify what he just did. It was so stark, fresh, invigorating, and you're the only one I've come across tonight that hasn't felt that. 

I certainly agree that the role of a strict enforcer does not serve the ultimate current goal that keeps people employed in the NHL, and so it will remain extinct (maybe forever, certainly for now). But I cannot deny the ballet of raw violence and passion that is competitive major sports, nor the role that these play for building and guiding males in societies spanning continents and millenia, and that these things will create moments like tonight time and time again. Particularly in our beloved ice hockey. To deny this is to ignore nature itself.

Oh, and while the mention of the potato was certainly out of context, it's pretty disingenuous to imply that the rapidly-accelerating descent into clown world implanting one of its more baffling developments into a sane & normal guy's mind is a more unnatural/contemptable instance of "being bothered" than a toy company feeling compelled "remove the gendered nature" of, or "de-gender," or whatever you want to call it, a toy they made 70 years ago called Mr. Potato Head, which spent that entire span of time firmly embedded in our pop culture, but that's probably for another board

Lol. I didn’t realize it was circle jerk time. 

I completely understand that I am fighting a one person battle here, but it’s much less an indictment on me as it is on the lingering attitudes of the WNY fanbase reminiscing about days gone past.

Do you think all those words you wrote speak ill of me or do you think (if true) that maybe it says something more about someone who remembers a game, not for the sport that’s actually played, but for a dying performative sideshow act after the whistle? Why yes... Our hockey memories should be filled with things that aren’t actually hockey. 🙄 Nicely written does not mean it was a great analysis.

Maybe you can explain to me like I’m five about this ballet of raw violence in competitive sports because you pluralized the word “sports”. It only happens in one. It’s not accepted anywhere else. It’s been on the decline for 40 years and the removal pace is accelerating.

As for a plastic potato. You’re the second person in this topic that has no idea what was actually announced. I suggest you go to the Company website to read what happened.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It's not just WNY.

And Randall's like 14 years old. He doesn't remember the good ol' days of fighting.

😂

It’s just my feeling, but it felt more contrary than anything. No one is remembering this game for any reason. There are way bigger fish to fry.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

I completely understand that I am fighting a one person battle here, but it’s much less an indictment on me as it is on the lingering attitudes of the WNY fanbase reminiscing about days gone past.

Sadly, it is indeed an indictment on you as your posts on this topic have been speaking from a viewpoint that presupposes you have the moral high-ground.  That is a fallacy.  You are entitled to your opinion as we all do.   Just not entitled to position your opinion as if it is more enlightened and implies that those who think fighting is OK, or dare I say it, good, in the physical sport of hockey are somehow neanderthals that go way back to the 70's.  I'm fine with your argument, just think about how you present it and you will receive less guff.  Heck, you may even convince one of us unenlightened neanderthals. : )

Seriously though, thank you for all you do to make this site possible and God bless freedom of speech (albeit greatly eroding).

Edited by Jävə Keith

It was just a single fight that riled up a fanbase for a couple of minutes. You could have let us have that for the night but noooooo.

You had to be all self righteous and educate us on why fighting is bad and should be outlawed. 

Learn how to read the room, stop trying to be an authority and move on.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KC Scouts said:

It was just a single fight that riled up a fanbase for a couple of minutes. You could have let us have that for the night but noooooo.

You had to be all self righteous and educate us on why fighting is bad and should be outlawed. 

Learn how to read the room, stop trying to be an authority and move on.

I think he did.

It only made me dig my heels in deeper and feel even better about myself.

SDS is no dummy.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It's not just WNY.

And Randall's like 14 years old. He doesn't remember the good ol' days of fighting.

😂

I forgot to mention this in my other comment. Did you read the ESPN article I linked? I think there’s a solid argument that the only reason fighting isn’t banned is quite simply it’s kept on life support for this older generation that demands that of their hockey and they want the eyeballs. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I forgot to mention this in my other comment. Did you read the ESPN article I linked? I think there’s a solid argument that the only reason fighting isn’t banned is quite simply it’s kept on life support for this older generation that demands that of their hockey and they want the eyeballs. 

I will admit that fighting being allowed is weird and would have no problem if they abolished it.

I will also admit that at times,… I absolutely love it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

Sadly, it is indeed an indictment on you as your posts on this topic have been speaking from a viewpoint that presupposes you have the moral high-ground.  That is a fallacy.  You are entitled to your opinion as we all do.   Just not entitled to position your opinion as if it is more enlightened and implies that those who think fighting is OK, or dare I say it, good, in the physical sport of hockey are somehow neanderthals that go way back to the 70's.  I'm fine with your argument, just think about how you present it and you will receive less guff.  Heck, you may even convince one of us unenlightened neanderthals. : )

Seriously though, thank you for all you do to make this site possible and God bless freedom of speech (albeit greatly eroding).

Oh. I am absolutely claiming the moral high ground. I will own that all day long. It is 2021 and every year that passes it becomes a worse abomination in my eyes. I’m not trying to be edgy. I’m stating an opinion that should be on the Classic Rock channel by now. WNY is cheering a guy that barely has hair on his nuts for getting in a fight. A fight I bet he felt pressured into. It’s embarrassing.

I am also well aware that my style absolutely sucks. I own that too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, SwampD said:

I think he did.

It only made me dig my heels in deeper and feel even better about myself.

SDS is no dummy.

No not a dummy..... he doesn't know when to quit (I appreciate that) and that is the part of the point I've been trying to make about Dylan Cozens dropping the gloves tonight. The Sabres need to develop the "never quit" / 'do whatever it takes" personality. I would prefer it in the pure hockey sense (Scoring, Defense, Forecheck , Etc)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I will admit that fighting being allowed is weird and would have no problem if they abolished it.

I will also admit that at times,… I absolutely love it.

This is pretty much where I’m at too Swamp. But for one night in a season where the team has seemed uninterested most nights One of our better youngsters showed that at least he has a pulse. And as fans we needed to know that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Oh. I am absolutely claiming the moral high ground. I will own that all day long. It is 2021 and every year that passes it becomes a worse abomination in my eyes. I’m not trying to be edgy. I’m stating an opinion that should be on the Classic Rock channel by now. WNY is cheering a guy that barely has hair on his nuts for getting in a fight. A fight I bet he felt pressured into. It’s embarrassing.

I am also well aware that my style absolutely sucks. I own that too. 

This is a game day thread.

Can you please take your little fight with whomever to PM or another thread?

Thank you.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

Thank you.

We're talking about the game. Blow it out yer ***.

😂

It's a good convo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Thank you.

Oh. Am I getting in the way of your 10,000th post on why the Sabres suck? Were you going to dazzle us with a fresh new take on suckiness?

• Haha (+1) 1

Side story.

Someone mentioned beer league a few pages back. During a tournament I got a penalty and was sitting in the box. Someone cheap shotted our captain and I jumped over the boards and tackled the guy. The raft looked at me and asked, incredulously, did you just come out of the box? Lol

I’m pretty sure I got thrown out of the game. Maybe out of the tournament. And I paid for that privilege.  It was not money well spent. No one was taught a lesson. We got our ***** kicked. And all I got is this ***** story 12 years later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

Lol. I didn’t realize it was circle jerk time. 

Do you think all those words you wrote speak ill of me or do you think (if true) that maybe it says something more about someone who remembers a game, not for the sport that’s actually played, but for a dying performative sideshow act after the whistle? Why yes... Our hockey memories should be filled with things that aren’t actually hockey. 🙄 Nicely written does not mean it was a great analysis.

Maybe you can explain to me like I’m five about this ballet of raw violence in competitive sports because you pluralized the word “sports”. It only happens in one. It’s not accepted anywhere else. It’s been on the decline for 40 years and the removal pace is accelerating.

As for a plastic potato. You’re the second person in this topic that has no idea what was actually announced. I suggest you go to the Company website to read what happened.

Haha, what? 

I'm not trying to speak ill of you at all. But your train of thought through this topic has not been compelling, and you aren't going to fix that by digging deeper into arXiv. 

We have ridden many technological waves in throughout history, and this one is the most massive one yet - but not one of these surges of advancement has changed human nature an ounce (at least since we started farming). That you see a rapid march toward a "progress" (in this case, the end of fighting in the NHL) does not mean that we suddenly discovered and changed something about ourselves (we will no longer engage in such unpractical, pointless and dangerous proceedings! How could we not have seen this earlier!). Any surge in civilization is accompanied by the belief that we finally got something right we had been missing for previous millennia, and that we are ready for a glorious, modernized, empathetic, equitable etc. future. Then things fall apart, and it is unveiled that humans are, after all, only human, and the cycle repeats itself indefinitely. Worldviews you think we have finally come to our senses with, that WE are the ones providing the much needed fine-tuning to after thousands of years, worldviews that have conquered the modern ideological landscape, will be disregarded at some point in the future, and worldviews you see with contempt and disdain will one day rise in their place again. I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't tell you which specific views these will be, and which ones have better staying power, but this cycle is essentially the essence of humanity.

No reason for hockey to be exempt from it. Don Cherry and his ilk no longer dominate hockey culture, and what was once an energized opposition to them are now firmly planted in leadership, executive and PR positions of the sport. They will grow stale and complacent just like Cherry did, and elements of the game they overlook will become appealing, we will discover that their initial existence within the sport isn't solely because 40 years ago we were dull cavemen incapable of putting together a coherent thought, whereas now we are enlightened and superior.

The type of fighting a hockey enforcer engages in is quite unique yeah, but there is a broader implication to this shift in the game than just 1v1 scraps, it's not just about those, it's about the danger of elements of the game that include scraps. Other sports also have that danger, and have much hand-wringing over it. Sports will not logarithmically approach a concrete value of "integrity" or "safeness" or whatever word you'd ascribe to this shift, as t goes to infinity. That just won't happen. It might for the entire duration of MY lifetime, but we haven't wrapped up this issue in a neat little package for good. Sports will be a part of the same cycle described above.

I am loath to dig into something as farcical as this, but I see that Mr. Potato Head is merely "receiving a rebranding" to this new name, along with a change to family packs which will allow for a more enriching experience of creating zombie potato families, rather than what I ascribed to him - something I admittedly only picked up through water cooler talk. This massive difference clearly paints a less-nonsensical picture to the entire situation, I am SO relieved. It no longer appears mind-numbingly contrived, fake, forced, inauthentic, pointless, hopeless, bleak, empty, vapid, meaningless, dumb beyond all reason etc.. phew.

36 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

I hope I'm not being too much of a jerk here, i was just picking up on that same moral thing, and felt compelled to offer my own resistance. I share the same appreciation and admiration to SDS, as creating and maintaining this board is something I have neither the determination nor skill to do. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.