Dynamic between RK and KA?

erickompositör72

I've had this notion from the beginning that KA was hired with the understanding that he and RK would almost be "co-GM's."

I have no evidence of this, it was just an assumption, based on RK's profile as a more "known" quantity, and KA's as a completely "unknown."

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight/information on the dynamic of their relationship. The relevance is that, if my suspicion is anything close to true, it means KA will not let go of RK when it is necessary.

Edited by erickompositör72

My suspicion is that they are are sort of equals on the corporate flow chart as well.

I do not think it is a traditional relationship with the GM on top of the HC.

We have a similar setup with the Bills IMO, where McDermott is at least equal to, if not superior to, Beane.  In the NFL, that is more common.

In the NHL it's kind of a weird setup.

I have been wondering about this lately, b/c I am not sure it is KA's job to fire Ralph these days.

I don't think he can!

• Like (+1) 2

No evidence, but my impression is that Adams and Ralph each run their own portion of the hockey department as partners, with the Pegulas involved in any major decisions and arbiting anything that needs arbiting.

I base this on the “flat structure” Terry has advocated in the past and my impression of how the successful Bills operate, reinforced by Ralph’s presence during the Botterill bloodbath and the less-than-forthright answers given by all three parties about this around that time.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

I agree that KA probably can’t fire RK.  It seems like they have pretty equal standing within the organization.  But, if KA feels it’s just not working out, he can probably talk to the Pegulas to encourage them to go in the direction of making a change.

5 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I have been wondering about this lately, b/c I am not sure it is KA's job to fire Ralph these days.

I don't think he can!

Agreed. Firing Ralph is a Terry decision and it won’t come easily as long as Ralph continues to be a class act and a good soldier. Terry’s ego would be naturally resistant to making the move.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I agree that KA probably can’t fire RK.  It seems like they have pretty equal standing within the organization.  But, if KA feels it’s just not working out, he can probably talk to the Pegulas to encourage them to go in the direction of making a change.

I don't even think Adams would broach the subject with the Pegula's.  I honestly believe he is in a position of "don't rock the boat, stay the course".  Now if the Pegula's are the ones initiating the topic, that is a completely different story.  Same goes for major moves such as trading Eichel or Reinhart.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No evidence, but my impression is that Adams and Ralph each run their own portion of the hockey department as partners, with the Pegulas involved in any major decisions and arbiting anything that needs arbiting.

I base this on the “flat structure” Terry has advocated in the past and my impression of how the successful Bills operate, reinforced by Ralph’s presence during the Botterill bloodbath and the less-than-forthright answers given by all three parties about this around that time.

The bills clearly don't have a flat structure. 

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The bills clearly don't have a flat structure. 

Is Beane McD’s boss, or vice-versa? Or are they relative equals? That’s what I mean by flat.

Same question with Ralph and Kevyn.

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think RK is partially in charge and KA is responsible for getting the things on RKs list. Hence Cody Eakin for example

Edited by dudacek

20 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

As fans of this team we are so ******.

critical

demanding

prone to my team makes me drink

questioning of line changes and player demotions

tired of the pain and suffering

loyal to our Sabres

desirous of any wins

tired of no grit, no heart, no retribution for a teammate, no checking

tired of absence of 2-way players

in need of a stretch of wins

(some) still stuck on "No Goal"

wishful for success...to name a few fill in the blanks

5 minutes ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

critical

demanding

prone to my team makes me drink

questioning of line changes and player demotions

tired of the pain and suffering

loyal to our Sabres

desirous of any goals

tired of no grit, no heart, no retribution for a teammate, no checking

tired of absence of 2-way players

in need of a stretch of wins

(some) still stuck on "No Goal"

wishful for success...to name a few fill in the blanks

Fixed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

I think it is a certainty that KA cannot fire RK, or vice-versa, and that either such firing would need to be approved by TP.

I also think TP is likely on the phone to KA pretty frequently, and that the topic of terminating RK has to have come up.

I also think the most likely outcome is that the Sabres are unable to pull out of this nosedive and RK is fired, but not KA.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think it is a certainty that KA cannot fire RK, or vice-versa, and that either such firing would need to be approved by TP.

I also think TP is likely on the phone to KA pretty frequently, and that the topic of terminating RK has to have come up.

I also think the most likely outcome is that the Sabres are unable to pull out of this nosedive and RK is fired, but not KA.

When???

Where does this idea that RK has so much power come from? Because he ran a soccer team? 

He's just a coach, and he's JBot's coach at that. He will be the guy they fire this year in a BS attempt to put all the blame on him and convince everyone that next year will be different. Same as every season.  They will just wait for what they see as the right timing for the optics. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

When???

April (EDIT) I mean, May (was thinking normal season)

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Where does this idea that RK has so much power come from? Because he ran a soccer team? 

He's just a coach, and he's JBot's coach at that. He will be the guy they fire this year in a BS attempt to put all the blame on him and convince everyone that next year will be different. Same as every season.  They will just wait for what they see as the right timing for the optics. 

It also may be because of what little power we assume KA has

Edited by erickompositör72

7 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I would like to think that the long term plan was KA to be GM, Krueger eventually to have a president/VP type of job with the team, and an appropriate head coach would be found to take over from Krueger.

That exactly how it will be spinned if they remove RK from head coach and move him upstairs regardless if that was the plan all along or not. 

Ok guys.  Aim your flame throwers at good old Punch and tell me to put down that nice crystal tumbler of single malt scotch.  

I can see Jim Rutherford coming in as GM and running the hockey side of the business.   If he comes in during this season you might see Adams finishing the season as head coach.  More likely, you see Rutherford come in as the GM after the season, Adams moves up to the Exec level, and Rutherford hires a head coach to report to him.    

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.