Pegulas Subleasing 716 To Southern Tier Brewing/Draft Room to Re-Open as well

Brawndo

9 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

"Waiter, there's a Pegula in my soup!" 

You blew it.  It goes like this ...

“Waiter, what is this Pegula doing in my soup”? 

Waiter:  “Sir, I think that is the backstroke”. 

43 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You blew it.  It goes like this ...

“Waiter, what is this Pegula doing in my soup”? 

Waiter:  “Sir, I think that is the backstroke”. 

A man goes into a restaurant, and he sits down. He’s having a bowl of soup and he says to the waiter, “Waiter, come taste the soup.” 
Waiter says, “Is something wrong with the soup?”
“Taste the soup.” 
Waiter says, “Is there something wrong with the soup? Is the soup too hot?” 
“Will you taste the soup?” 
Waiter says, “What’s wrong, is the soup too cold?” 
“Will you just taste the soup?!” 
Waiter says, “Alright, I’ll taste the soup – where’s the spoon?”
Aha. Aha! …

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

A man goes into a restaurant, and he sits down. He’s having a bowl of soup and he says to the waiter, “Waiter, come taste the soup.” 
Waiter says, “Is something wrong with the soup?”
“Taste the soup.” 
Waiter says, “Is there something wrong with the soup? Is the soup too hot?” 
“Will you taste the soup?” 
Waiter says, “What’s wrong, is the soup too cold?” 
“Will you just taste the soup?!” 
Waiter says, “Alright, I’ll taste the soup – where’s the spoon?”
Aha. Aha! …

great scene

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SDS said:

Got that new owner all lined up? Every knows the city has deeeeeep pockets of wealth.

if I had the money I would be interested, even if I weren't a Sabres fan.  You have a large, geographically dispersed fan base from a city that is dying for a championship of any kind.  Owning the Sabres and properly running it should be able to make you money and definitely get your ego stroked by fans who would adore you for bringing back a competitive, fun team that had a chance at winning.  I wouldn't move the team from Buffalo, the market has proven how insane it is for hockey and you only need to fill the arena.  Even in a city the size of Buffalo that was possible, I recall not too long ago when they had to put STH on a waiting list.

11 hours ago, billyudi said:

Southern tier has been opening brewpubs recently, I know there is one in Pittsburgh, so I think if they do the same here it would be a step up from my experience at 716.

The new model.  Bars themselves are seeing reduced traffic, store sales, while up, are more competitive than ever. However, the traffic at micro-breweries, and targeted brewpubs is through the roof.  Those are popping up all over and they need to open their own locations to remain relevant and to support the size of brewing operation that they have.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

if I had the money I would be interested, even if I weren't a Sabres fan.  You have a large, geographically dispersed fan base from a city that is dying for a championship of any kind.  Owning the Sabres and properly running it should be able to make you money and definitely get your ego stroked by fans who would adore you for bringing back a competitive, fun team that had a chance at winning.  I wouldn't move the team from Buffalo, the market has proven how insane it is for hockey and you only need to fill the arena.  Even in a city the size of Buffalo that was possible, I recall not too long ago when they had to put STH on a waiting list.

The new model.  Bars themselves are seeing reduced traffic, store sales, while up, are more competitive than ever. However, the traffic at micro-breweries, and targeted brewpubs is through the roof.  Those are popping up all over and they need to open their own locations to remain relevant and to support the size of brewing operation that they have.

A rabid Fanbase with no money isn’t a great non-NFL investment prize. Buffalo is always near the bottom for what they will pay for tickets. Gate revenue is everything to the Sabres. 

C74EF694-EB3D-407A-A80D-5976D17F2905.png

39 minutes ago, SDS said:

A rabid Fanbase with no money isn’t a great non-NFL investment prize. Buffalo is always near the bottom for what they will pay for tickets. Gate revenue is everything to the Sabres. 

C74EF694-EB3D-407A-A80D-5976D17F2905.png

This would suggest very wealthy people buy hockey teams to make money year over year. What has happened to the value of the Sabres franchise since Terry bought it?

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This would suggest very wealthy people buy hockey teams to make money year over year. What has happened to the value of the Sabres franchise since Terry bought it?

Minus operating loss. 

14 hours ago, Weave said:

I seem to recall hearing the PSE has the restaurant half of the brewhouse and Labatt USA operates the brewery half.

Regardless, I doubt Southern Tier needs additional brewery space to run 716.  Frankly, I don't know why Southern Tier would be interested in that location.  It's a bit outside of what they normally do.

That sounds right, although I would imagine that Labatt USA, as PSE's tenant, would have asked PSE for assurances that PSE would not enter into a sale, lease, etc. that would allow another brew pub to compete within a certain distance. But maybe not. Do I recall correctly that PSE moved its headquarters into that building where the Labatt brew house is?

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Hockey teams right now are all losing money with no fans.  The TV money isn't nearly enough to make profit.  Then you have to factor in whether they'd be interested in moving to somewhere else.  Some Canadian billionaire could move them to toronto or something.

Am I the only person who didn’t have a problem with 716?  Went a couple of times. Enjoyed it each visit.  

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

So - a taproom. That seems to imply that they'll brew on-site (?).

We have several breweries in Rochester that don’t make the beer in the location they serve it.  

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Am I the only person who didn’t have a problem with 716?  Went a couple of times. Enjoyed it each visit.  

We have several breweries in Rochester that don’t make the beer in the location they serve it.  

I loved the 716. It was my 3rd favorite place in the Buffalo area. I was willing to overpay for drinks and settle for mediocre food for an atmosphere like that. By far the greatest Sports bar I had ever been to

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

Right. I hear you. I guess taprooms are typically (?) connected to nearby brewing activities, but not always.

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

The facility was (is) pretty sweet. My experience with the food and service was fairly mixed.

Edited by That Aud Smell

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Right. I hear you. I guess taprooms are typically (?) connected to nearby brewing activities, but not always.

The facility was (is) pretty sweet. My experience with the food and service was fairly mixed.

It was always an event when I went.  Driving an hour or so with family or friends, grabbing a bite and drink before the game and then watching what was at the time a decent brand of hockey.  

I’m fairly picky about service but as a former food service employee, I understand their plight.  That place gets bananas before and after games.  

A place I didn’t enjoy as much was Pearl St. Just too much of a college bar atmosphere.  Waiting 20 minutes to get to the bar for a drink, underwhelming food, much less than desirable service. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

It was always an event when I went.  Driving an hour or so with family or friends, grabbing a bite and drink before the game and then watching what was at the time a decent brand of hockey.  

I’m fairly picky about service but as a former food service employee, I understand their plight.  That place gets bananas before and after games.  

A place I didn’t enjoy as much was Pearl St. Just too much of a college bar atmosphere.  Waiting 20 minutes to get to the bar for a drink, underwhelming food, much less than desirable service. 

I'm glad to hear that you had good experiences there. I will add: The times when I was most disappointed at (716) was on a day/evening when there was no hockey game going on.

I have little to no use for Pearl Street. I will go there in a pinch, but I know what to expect. Shoot - even the beer they brew there isn't anything to celebrate, and I'm not overly fussy about the house craft brew.

I ate at 716 only once.

The food was mediocre, and we had a party of like 10, so I got to taste  and see a lot of stuff.

Service was fine. 

A place like that is all about the atmosphere, which is cool.  I guess that TV screen is the largest in any restaurant in America or something like that.

I'd be happy to drink beer with friends in there with various games on in the background.

More than that is not the place's forte.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.