Pegulas Subleasing 716 To Southern Tier Brewing/Draft Room to Re-Open as well

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Pegulas Subleasing 716 To Southern Tier Brewing
5 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Was wondering about this place. Their last Facebook post was from July and said they’d be reopening fall of 2020. As far as I know they never reopened

There was no reason to open in the fall.  If they opened without arena events or summer time crowds, the place would die a quick death.  My guess is maybe they open in the summer...at the earliest.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The restaurant business sucks.  You're much better off being the landlord of a restaurant than the operator of a restaurant. That is compounded when you have no idea what you are doing.  You don't dabble in a restaurant.

Exactly!

33 minutes ago, SDS said:

Got that new owner all lined up? Every knows the city has deeeeeep pockets of wealth.

Not sure of your point. The Sabres haven't had Buffalo-born owners since the Knoxes.

19 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The restaurant business sucks.  You're much better off being the landlord of a restaurant than the operator of a restaurant. That is compounded when you have no idea what you are doing.  You don't dabble in a restaurant.

Knowing what you are doing....I think that is it.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes of course, but that is the impression I get. We visited 716 twice...one time about a month after it opened, and then about a year and a half later and weren't impressed.

The impression I got was....they hired people to run the restaurant who kinda knew what they were doing....but they chose to NOT go out and get someone great who knows how to open a place that was expected to be as busy as it was.

To me the food wasn't the problem..it was getting there at opening time on a Saturday morning and having the employees not ready to open....seeing dust on the handrails and chairs only a month after it opened.  Having our table handed off between 3 different servers in the hour we were there...stuff like that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Sorta sounds like another business they run doesn't it?

I haven't been to a Bills game in a while...but are there things they do running the Bills that are....subpar...that has been glossed over the last couple years because the team is better?  Seriously asking.

It almost seems like when they bought the Sabres they were new to owning a professional sports team....but by the time they should have 'figured it out', they kinda lost interest a bit in the Sabres and 716 and Harbor Center because by that time they had their shiny new (and much more expensive) toy in the Bills to play with.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Exactly!

Not sure of your point. The Sabres haven't had Buffalo-born owners since the Knoxes.

That's just word-smithing. Rigas/Golisano/Pegula all have ties. I don't care where they were born.

In engineering we call this High Risk/High Consequence of an averse event occurring. It would be shown as red on any chart shown.

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

I wonder if they are having financial issues? I'm betting cash flow is low and they're saving for Bills free agency. 

Of course they are.  

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Please move on from the Sabres next.

This is an interesting story to me.  No reason for them to be selling, at least ideally.  It's a piece of their little chunk of Buffalo.

And people don't want to believe money comes before winning with the Sabres! 

17 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The real question is before Covid hit, was 716 profitable for the Pegula’s?

I was never there besides a game day, and it was typically packed.  Food was mediocre at best.  Drinks were meh, not a great tap list.

Enjoyed the restaurant at Harborcenter much more.. their smoked manhattans were good.

Edited by Shmuffalo

12 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Make a Southern Tier Brewery.  Have food, brew some special things on site. It'll be a good time. People might actually go there when it's not a game night.

It occurs to me: The Labatt brew house is a PSE holding. It would surprise me if the Pegulas would allow Southern Tier to brew on site at the former 716.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It occurs to me: The Labatt brew house is a PSE holding. It would surprise me if the Pegulas would allow Southern Tier to brew on site at the former 716.

I don't know the details of whether they own it...own the building...whatever....but maybe the next move is the Pegulas divesting themself of any interest in the Labatt brew house also?

I seem to recall hearing the PSE has the restaurant half of the brewhouse and Labatt USA operates the brewery half.

Regardless, I doubt Southern Tier needs additional brewery space to run 716.  Frankly, I don't know why Southern Tier would be interested in that location.  It's a bit outside of what they normally do.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.