2021 Buffalo Bills

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

McCarthy said that they regularly practice that play, and practiced it extra during preparations for the wildcard game. The implication being (or at least my inference being): They ran it exactly as they practice it (including the distance). So I wouldn't even blame Prescott for a lack of SA - he ran the plan that was called and ran it precisely as it was practiced. 

Only because the ref came absolutely flying in there in an apparent effort to give the Cowboys a chance to get the play off. Why would such a razor-thin margin ever be part of an acceptable play call in a do-or-die situation? 

Listening again to Romo's colour: A shot to the end zone on that play with :14 to go might have been a really good idea -- if the 49ers had defenders skewing towards the sidelines, the middle may have been more open.

Honestly, that poor official. Feel bad for him and can only imagine he’s taking a lot of flak from fans. Did everyone catch what he did when he got up to the ball? Dak hadn’t even spotted it in the right spot and the official tried to move it back a few inches - obviously he couldn’t with the line already being almost set, and he even then attempted to give Dak and the Cowboys the extra few inches with their chosen spot, so they could get the play off. 

The effort was commendable IMO

• Like (+1) 2

With that play, Cowboys fans likened Dak to Tony Romo:  Great regular season guy, won't get you anywhere in the playoffs.  Let's see if it holds true.

I might also add that Dak talked a big game in week leading up to that matchup and couldn't live up to his own words.

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

It wouldn’t have been that razor thin if he slides at ten yards and hands the ref the ball as every offensive player should be aware to do. Like I said before, I’m not defending McCarthy, I believe he’s a buffoon, but it could have worked if properly executed.

But it was executed as practiced.

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

NFL is dumb. Why the hell don't they put a hiring freeze on until after the superb owl. 

Because it’s crunch time between the end of the regular season, consolidation of scouting reports, the combine, free agency, and the draft. It’s a ton of work and logistics to accomplish in a short period, especially for a totally new staff coming in. And that compressed time window got even shorter with the extension of the season this year. It’s a disadvantage for teams in transition. The league tries to make up for it by letting teams with new staffs start camps earlier, but that does nothing to help with all the challenges on the front end. 

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Because it’s crunch time between the end of the regular season, consolidation of scouting reports, the combine, free agency, and the draft. It’s a ton of work and logistics to accomplish in a short period, especially for a totally new staff coming in. And that compressed time window got even shorter with the extension of the season this year. It’s a disadvantage for teams in transition. The league tries to make up for it by letting teams with new staffs start camps earlier, but that does nothing to help with all the challenges on the front end. 

then they need to move the rest of that stuff back further

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

NFL is dumb. Why the hell don't they put a hiring freeze on until after the superb owl. 

I would allow front office positions to be filled after the regular season, but any Coaching Position Hirings should have to wait until after the SuperBowl, thereby allowing all potential candidates an equal chance. Allow initial interviews but second interviews cannot occur until afterwards.

This may require the NFL to push the offseason time line back by a few weeks 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

then they need to move the rest of that stuff back further

Agreed. They could move things back a bit as well as move the beginning of the season up a bit, too. But I can’t see the league’s broadcast masters and the billions they spend for those rights agreeing to do that. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:24 AM, The Ghost of Yuri said:

With that play, Cowboys fans likened Dak to Tony Romo:  Great regular season guy, won't get you anywhere in the playoffs.  Let's see if it holds true.

I might also add that Dak talked a big game in week leading up to that matchup and couldn't live up to his own words.

Dak ...I dont know if he has had the time to be considered a full blooded Tony Rivers or Phillip Romo . 

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Good luck with your game Bills fans (even if your football team has one of the dumbest names in professional sports :))

Oh, I don't know about that.  Named after a legend with a blemesh due to him being a veteran of the *Indian Wars*.

GO BILLS!!

MUST WIN!!

I do have a good feeling about this one ... 35 - 21 Bills.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Good luck with your game Bills fans (even if your football team has one of the dumbest names in professional sports :))

1 minute ago, spndnchz said:

You may be the first person to say this. 

Nah, I've been saying it for decades.  It's weird.

GO BILLS!!!!!

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Oh, I don't know about that.  Named after a legend with a blemesh due to him being a veteran of the *Indian Wars*.

GO BILLS!!

MUST WIN!!

I do have a good feeling about this one ... 35 - 21 Bills.

But he was 1 guy. What did they do clone him? 

Is there another pro sports team named after an individual?

Sabres is good. Bandits is good. Bisons is a little weird as it's sort of the Bufflao buffalos but at least you can pluralize it. Bills is just odd and although I obviously know who Buffalo Bill was, the name makes me first think payment due. 

But anyway, I'd like to see them win, even though I'm not a fan.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

But he was 1 guy. What did they do clone him? 

Sabres is good. Bandits is good. Bisons is a little weird as it's sort of the Bufflao buffalos but at least you can pluralize it. Bills is just odd and although I obviously know who Buffalo Bill was, the name makes me first think payment due. 

But anyway, I'd like to see them win, even though I'm not a fan.

Legend has it a significant part of the reason the old AAFL Buffalo team ended up named after Buffalo Bill Cody was because William was such a common name in the WNY area.  So, they had that going for the name.  Always presumed Wilson went w/ naming his AFL team the Bills was in honor of that AAFL team that should've been brought into the NFL when the Niners joined.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The Cleveland Browns are named after Paul Brown, the team's first coach.

For over a decade, the Cleveland Guardians were called the Cleveland Naps, after Nap Lajoie, the team captain.

That's at least two teams.  Lake Erie bros, no less.

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

At least we’re not in the predicament that Washington is in. It was so easy for me to flip certain letters around whenever I saw WFT to where it said WTF.

Edited by FogBat
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.