2021 Buffalo Bills

Brawndo

People giving the HC of SD a tough time for calling the TO.

I think it was a tough situation.  Def a unique situation. Going thru all the scenarios

I still cant take a side on that. If they stopped LV on the 3rd you need that TO to get a shot down field and win

after change of possession.--But wait...if LV doesnt get the 3rd down then they might actually punt..Then its a tie anyway.

Brutal no win situation...But I think the coach probbly blew it...yikes

Edited by calti

I don't think it's a mystery, they were playing for tie with that time out. It was a 3rd down and they wanted to see the Raiders offense in order to prepare, so they took a timeout. That was the game for them right there and they wanted to be better prepared.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I don't think it's a mystery, they were playing for tie with that time out. It was a 3rd down and they wanted to see the Raiders offense in order to prepare, so they took a timeout. That was the game for them right there and they wanted to be better prepared.

The crazy thing is, as long as they tackled the raiders player in bounds, even if they got a first down.. at that point, the clock can run to zero. 

The Raiders, in that situation, could argue that they should just walk to the sideline. Because if they let it run to zero, they are in. If they run a play, or try to kick, a block or a scoop and score fumble could knock them out of the playoffs. But the timeout changes all that, because they can't be sure that LA isn't content to let the clock run now too. 

Then again, the Raiders, by winning, play the Bengals instead of the Chiefs 

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The crazy thing is, as long as they tackled the raiders player in bounds, even if they got a first down.. at that point, the clock can run to zero. 

The Raiders, in that situation, could argue that they should just walk to the sideline. Because if they let it run to zero, they are in. If they run a play, or try to kick, a block or a scoop and score fumble could knock them out of the playoffs. But the timeout changes all that, because they can't be sure that LA isn't content to let the clock run now too. 

Then again, the Raiders, by winning, play the Bengals instead of the Chiefs 

After what Burrow has been doing, I'd rather play the Chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

Yeah, they waited until the play clock had just about run out (4 seconds left), so it wasn't about preserving time on the clock.  The Raiders weren't in Victory Formation, but rather were setup to run a play.  The only way the Chargers could miss the playoffs was if the Raiders picked up enough on that 3rd down to kick a field goal, so if Staley didn't like what he was seeing, it made sense to call that TO to change things before that pivotal play.  Even if they managed to stop LV, the Raiders would have let play clock run to zero and then taken the delay of game (or one of their timeouts) before doing anything on 4th down.  That would have left (9 seconds - time taken on the 3rd down - time for squib kick) for the Chargers, which may still have been no time.  Had the Chargers stopped it with more time on the clock, I would have thought that they were playing to win.  Waiting so long, it definitely seemed more like playing to not lose.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, calti said:

Brutal no win situation...

No win was fine.  You just didn't want to lose.

It's a moot point.  The Raiders would have played it the same way anyway; they just wouldn't have had as long as a runoff before they called their timeout prior to the FG.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm debating if I want to get tix to the game Saturday or just watch it at home. I've never been to a bills playoff game and I found a decent price for uppers; But, it's also cold and the experience can be a little much some games. What to do! 

Single digit temps, snow likely.  No thanks. I’ll watch the game in the man cave. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.