2021 Buffalo Bills

Brawndo

On 1/16/2022 at 7:19 PM, The Ghost of Yuri said:

That last play was the stupidest call in NFL playoff history. 

Living in the Dallas market, I've been hearing McCarthy's defense of the QB draw play.  He basically said that he still thinks it was the right thing to do and the only reason it didn't work was because it took too long for the umpire to set the ball.  That is just such a gross miscalculation on his part; I really think he should be fired over that.  It's not like the team has been wildly successful under him anyway.  It's more like the Cowboys are squandering Dak and Zeke's prime years while McCarthy screws up.  In my mind, McCarthy is a half step up above Rex Ryan.  A buffoon who doesn't know what he's doing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

That is just such a gross miscalculation on his part; I really think he should be fired over that. 

Absolutely on the first piece -- a huge (and bad) risk given how much time was on the clock. But, of course, time management has always been one of McCarthy's principal weaknesses. In terms of whether he should be fired over that, I'm less sure. I do think that the Cowboys can, and should, do better at the HC position.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

No thank you, I'll take another 40 point blowout over KC 😂😘

KC has Mahomes. The advantage of play McCokel Jones is he doesn't have the talent to make a comeback of say 3 scores but Mahomes, he'll torch you. Gonna be a hard game. 

Mac Jones is gonna be an excellent QB

That pass that Hyde picked off was underthrown. Lets not get silly enough where we think that was any more than a grade B minus.

Brilliant job by Hyde to swoop in there for the intercept .--But he wouldnt have had a chance to do that with the right throw, The WR had to slow down

for that ball. 

6 hours ago, calti said:

Mac Jones is gonna be an excellent QB

That pass that Hyde picked off was underthrown. Lets not get silly enough where we think that was any more than a grade B minus.

Brilliant job by Hyde to swoop in there for the intercept .--But he wouldnt have had a chance to do that with the right throw, The WR had to slow down

for that ball. 

What do you mean by excellent?

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/18/2022 at 11:18 AM, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Living in the Dallas market, I've been hearing McCarthy's defense of the QB draw play.  He basically said that he still thinks it was the right thing to do and the only reason it didn't work was because it took too long for the umpire to set the ball.  That is just such a gross miscalculation on his part; I really think he should be fired over that.  It's not like the team has been wildly successful under him anyway.  It's more like the Cowboys are squandering Dak and Zeke's prime years while McCarthy screws up.  In my mind, McCarthy is a half step up above Rex Ryan.  A buffoon who doesn't know what he's doing.

No doubt McCarthy is a buffoon and I know I’m in the minority but I don’t think it’s a horrible call. If Dak  slides five yards sooner they are at the 25 yard line with a chance to win and everyone is talking about how SF’s defense let them get that close, that easily.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

No doubt McCarthy is a buffoon and I know I’m in the minority but I don’t think it’s a horrible call. If Dak  slides five yards sooner they are at the 25 yard line with a chance to win and everyone is talking about how SF’s defense let them get that close, that easily.

Nope.  It was a horrible call, period.  Throw a pass to the sideline, the clock automatically stops when the receiver goes out of bounds.  If the pass fails, the clock stops also.  AND the Cowboys still have time for one more play at least, guaranteed, and with 14 seconds going into that play, probably two more after that.  It is just terrible, awful, inexcusable clock management.  The Cowboys literally lost any chance of winning by trying a run.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/18/2022 at 3:40 PM, That Aud Smell said:

Absolutely on the first piece -- a huge (and bad) risk given how much time was on the clock. But, of course, time management has always been one of McCarthy's principal weaknesses. In terms of whether he should be fired over that, I'm less sure. I do think that the Cowboys can, and should, do better at the HC position.

Nah. Let them languish. Dig that barb-wire wrapped toy in a little deeper on them and give it some twists, since they’ve done it to us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

22 hours ago, tom webster said:

A youngish NFL beat reporter - for NBC? Yahoo? I can't recall - said he informally polled 20+ offensive coaches in the NFL to ask, in essence, how much time is needed to run that play in that situation. The answers varied a little, but the absolute minimum was 17 seconds (most said 19 is the magic number). McCarthy (or Kellen Moore?) blew it.

Actually, having typed Moore's name, it occurs to me that McCarthy, in steadfastly saying it was a good call at the time and in that situation, could just be taking a bullet for his OC.

More likely: Moore called it; McCarthy didn't override it; and the Cowboys needlessly lost a chance to win the game.

20 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Nope.  It was a horrible call, period.  Throw a pass to the sideline, the clock automatically stops when the receiver goes out of bounds.  If the pass fails, the clock stops also.  AND the Cowboys still have time for one more play at least, guaranteed, and with 14 seconds going into that play, probably two more after that.  It is just terrible, awful, inexcusable clock management.  The Cowboys literally lost any chance of winning by trying a run.

This is the only correct take, IMO.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

A youngish NFL beat reporter - for NBC? Yahoo? I can't recall - said he informally polled 20+ offensive coaches in the NFL to ask, in essence, how much time is needed to run that play in that situation. The answers varied a little, but the absolute minimum was 17 seconds (most said 19 is the magic number). McCarthy (or Kellen Moore?) blew it.

Actually, having typed Moore's name, it occurs to me that McCarthy, in steadfastly saying it was a good call at the time and in that situation, could just be taking a bullet for his OC.

More likely: Moore called it; McCarthy didn't override it; and the Cowboys needlessly lost a chance to win the game.

This is the only correct take, IMO.

I heard at least two “front office” people say it’s a ten yard play and that’s as vital of factor as actual time. Again, I completely understand the opposite take but clearly no one can deny if he slides five yards earlier he has time to spike it. As it was, the clock only expired as the snap happened.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I heard at least two “front office” people say it’s a ten yard play and that’s as vital of factor as actual time. Again, I completely understand the opposite take but clearly no one can deny if he slides five yards earlier he has time to spike it. As it was, the clock only expired as the snap happened.

McCarthy said that they regularly practice that play, and practiced it extra during preparations for the wildcard game. The implication being (or at least my inference being): They ran it exactly as they practice it (including the distance). So I wouldn't even blame Prescott for a lack of SA - he ran the plan that was called and ran it precisely as it was practiced. 

Only because the ref came absolutely flying in there in an apparent effort to give the Cowboys a chance to get the play off. Why would such a razor-thin margin ever be part of an acceptable play call in a do-or-die situation? 

Listening again to Romo's colour: A shot to the end zone on that play with :14 to go might have been a really good idea -- if the 49ers had defenders skewing towards the sidelines, the middle may have been more open.

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

McCarthy said that they regularly practice that play, and practiced it extra during preparations for the wildcard game. The implication being (or at least my inference being): They ran it exactly as they practice it (including the distance). So I wouldn't even blame Prescott for a lack of SA - he ran the plan that was called and ran it precisely as it was practiced. 

Only because the ref came absolutely flying in there in an apparent effort to give the Cowboys a chance to get the play off. Why would such a razor-thin margin ever be part of an acceptable play call in a do-or-die situation? 

Listening again to Romo's colour: A shot to the end zone on that play with :14 to go might have been a really good idea -- if the 49ers had defenders skewing towards the sidelines, the middle may have been more open.

It wouldn’t have been that razor thin if he slides at ten yards and hands the ref the ball as every offensive player should be aware to do. Like I said before, I’m not defending McCarthy, I believe he’s a buffoon, but it could have worked if properly executed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.