Forget about the idea that the Pegulas will sell the Sabres

LabattBlue

11 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

For those who think the Pegula’s will sell the Sabres in the near future, think again.  I believe the plan is still to build the Bills new stadium in the cobblestone/HSBC Atrium/Perry Projects area, and they will have their little kingdom complete...Sabres, Bills, stadium, arena, harbor center, PSE HQ, Labbatt brew house, 716, etc...

Of course from a Sabres fan perspective, none of this is good news.     Any owner who can run a hockey team so poorly over a decade, gives fans NO HOPE that there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

Your theory took a bit of a hit with the 716 news today.  Maybe they'll sell the Sabres and become the royalty of Orchard Park instead?

On 3/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, thewookie1 said:

While the Pegulas botched their first attempt at a HC hire for the Bills (which is honestly understandable based on Rex Ryan's defensive prowess coupled with what was then a great Bills defense) they set out to find a new coach. I'm not 100% sure if it was purely luck or if they had learned somewhat from their many Sabres coaches what to look for. Essentially they ended up with a coach, who while not perfect, holds all the ingredients the Sabres too could use in a head coach. McDermott is stern yet fair, a player's coach yet not to a degree which he's buddies with everyone but that team trusts in his decision making and that he has their best interest in mind. Additionally while conservative by nature, seems very open to new ideas and a willingness to aggressive play. Not to mention the competitive approach among the players fostered through a culture that is enforced and practiced by the group at large. Additionally bringing in Beane was a literal coup for the organization. Again he is business-like but definitely has a competitive edge to him and shows willingness to both play the short and long game simultaneously. Even when he screws up, you still feel confident that he's doing his due diligence and desires the Bills to have Super Bowl Rings. As such the Pegulas have mostly kept out of their business in terms of decision making yet there is a definite trust between them. Kim Pegula gets to be a darling of the NFL ownership and the team continues an upward climb.

The Sabres have certainly become a headache for them as it seems like everyone they hire is either inept or unwilling to play with others. My best guess is that they are desperately hoping Kevin Adams can be a loyal yet still competent GM who can handle the job as their faith in the NHL's suggestions and behavior has been outright terrible. 

If they watched any football, they would never have hired a castoff from their division rival who was run out of NY. It was only understandable that it was a 'Big Name' hire that they thought would get them media attention and look good attracting a name to make it look like Buffalo could attract big names.

On 3/1/2021 at 3:10 PM, nucci said:

They actually hired the coach first. It was McDermott who brought in Beane

I think it only worked out that way because they were able to get McDermott in first and had to wait for Beane to be available to be signed.

They appeared to be a package deal the whole time, I don't think the Pegulas needed any lobbying from McDermott to bring Beane in, I think it was all set up from the beginning that they would both be eventually hired

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, Thwomp! said:

Your theory took a bit of a hit with the 716 news today.  Maybe they'll sell the Sabres and become the royalty of Orchard Park instead?

His theory did not take a hit. They leased the space 716 is in from my understanding. They own that building so a business in that space succeeding is in their best interest and still aligns with the plans to build a stadium where the Perry St Projects are. 

• 5 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.