Great rant on WGR this morning

Cal Naughton Jr

58 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I’ve been listening to WGR all day. It really does feel like that. Almost feels like someone died. Everyone is just really depressed. Paul Hamilton is mad. He called out Adams on the radio. Was speaking directly to him, asked why he won’t talk to him. 

I am going through the recorded segments from Howard and Jeremy this morning now.

I just listened to the Paul Hamilton segment...now onto Hour 1.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I am going through the recorded segments from Howard and Jeremy this morning now.

I just listened to the Paul Hamilton segment...now onto Hour 1.

I listened to the first hour of the Instigators as well. I won’t list to Schopp and the Bulldog because I’d rather listen to the sound of two opossums getting it on than listen to them for 5 mins 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I listened to the first hour of the Instigators as well. I won’t list to Schopp and the Bulldog because I’d rather listen to the sound of two opossums getting it on than listen to them for 5 mins 

I'll save you the trouble listening to the show that missed the Tiger Woods breaking news COMPLETELY 

Schoop: How does JJ Watt going to Arizona impact my fantasy draft?

Bulldog:  Aashh. Ummm, aaahh, did you know my son plays hockey?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

This stuff is not just bad for us!

It's actually damaging to the Sabres brand and reputation around the league.

Yeah for sure.  This is now the 2nd wave of "what's wrong with Buffalo".  The first being the ROR & Kane situations.   Right or wrong,  we moved on and reset again.   When this is the result,  it's significantly damaging. 

Until I see otherwise, I'm convinced this team will hold steady on the GM, coach, and likely the players.  I think that they think they have some sort of bulletproof process and that they've built some unshakeable foundation.  I think that they believe to their cores that, if given time and circumstances, it will fix this team.  I think that they think they haven't had enough time and/or the negative circumstances surrounding the team are outside of their control.

Despite losing, they are doubling down on whatever their process is.  Because why wouldn't they?  Their foundation, their process, is self-built on the principle that it will work.  If they admit that it doesn't work, even for a moment, they have nothing.  They will carry that torch to the very end, until the day they are fired, because that is what they've chosen to build- an imaginary precept of infallibility.

I'm simply hoping that their process at some point will be perceptive enough to be self-aware and flexible enough to start solving problems.  Because if it doesn't, they're going to trust the process until it eliminates them, that point will come way too late for any chance of success or opportunity to rebuild, the franchise will smolder, and the remaining invested fans will yet again be left with nothing.

As for the season, the team is in a meat grinder.  There's no hope.  No off switch.  They're being shredded.  They're not reaching to help themselves out, and when they are, there's nothing to grab.  Adams put an interesting team together on paper with some predictable strengths and weaknesses, and it's folded like a house of cards.

I'll keep watching, if only to see who digs deep, puts out the effort, and tries to fight their way out of this, even if they're by themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

What we were taught: Terry Pegula is a true fan who will spare no resources building a team that will compete for multiple cups. Hockey heaven has arrived.

What we got: a decaying arena, a broken fanbase and (consistently) the worst team in hockey over the past decade

I wanted to touch on the point of the Arena. Would a good team that wins games get the fanbase excited if they played in the worst building in the league? Yes.  But as far as the Arena goes, it really is one of the worst in the league.  From 2015 to early 2019, I had the chance to visit several other arenas across the country/league....and when you do that, you see just how 'behind' of a facility in Buffalo we have compared to others around the league.

Several other arenas built about the same time as Buffalo (Boston, Philly, Toronto, and others) have gone though extensive renovations and they are a lot nicer. The newer Arenas blow the Key bank center away.  When it comes down to it...the KBC has crumbling concrete, old and uncomfortable seats a very generic atmosphere...

I know to a 'true fan', only the team and game matter....but as a 'true fan' I can actually take in and see more of the game at home on in high def on tv.  I would go to the game for the game, the atmosphere, the total experience...and in the KBC in Buffalo that is truly underwhelming as far as the building goes.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Love the passion, even if I don't fully agree with the assessment. The thing I keyed on was just give us some competitive hockey.  Pegulas do not understand hockey but they think they do. "Bizarre" is one word for it all. I got choice other ones. 

Is 'competitive' hockey better than what we have now? Of course.  The problem I have is...the ceiling for this team seems to be competitive hockey.   What makes hockey fun, and makes being a fan fun..is when your team is competing for championships (above just competitive) and/or is a team good enough that you expect them to dominate other teams on a somewhat regular basis.

I think you need more than a coaching change....you need a roster overhaul also to get to the point I am looking for.  After all, how did they get into this situation to begin with?  They were tires of just being a 'competitive team', and so were most fans....so that is when/why the tank began.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Is 'competitive' hockey better than what we have now? Of course.  The problem I have is...the ceiling for this team seems to be competitive hockey.   What makes hockey fun, and makes being a fan fun..is when your team is competing for championships (above just competitive) and/or is a team good enough that you expect them to dominate other teams on a somewhat regular basis.

I think you need more than a coaching change....you need a roster overhaul also to get to the point I am looking for.  After all, how did they get into this situation to begin with?  They were tires of just being a 'competitive team', and so were most fans....so that is when/why the tank began.

We've had roster overhauls. We've changed coaches and GM's. Bad hiring by ownership. Hiring green inexperienced GM's  and coaches. I remember us fans calling for young fresh blood. Well, repent we need EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Radar said:

We've had roster overhauls. We've changed coaches and GM's. Bad hiring by ownership. Hiring green inexperienced GM's  and coaches. I remember us fans calling for young fresh blood. Well, repent we need EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!

Well, you have had a coach with experience (Bylsma), who had a few years experience, won a cup, and had experience dealing with star players. That still didn't work out.  You had Housley who was a former star player that was an assistant on a staff of a very good team. That didn't work.  You now have Krueger who has 'some' NHL head coaching experience but has a lot experience in other positions around the NHL and other sports.  And Krueger and Housley weren't exactly 'young'.  

My point is you have had 3 head coaches with this current core (Eichel and company), with 3 different styles...with NHL experience and playoff/cup experience...and the results are the same.  Talent of the 'core players' has to be considered as a big part of the issue.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Fans who start sentences with, "I just want..." are liars. The goal posts are always moved. It is what it is.

25 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Well, you have had a coach with experience (Bylsma), who had a few years experience, won a cup, and had experience dealing with star players. That still didn't work out.  You had Housley who was a former star player that was an assistant on a staff of a very good team. That didn't work.  You now have Krueger who has 'some' NHL head coaching experience but has a lot experience in other positions around the NHL and other sports.  And Krueger and Housley weren't exactly 'young'.  

My point is you have had 3 head coaches with this current core (Eichel and company), with 3 different styles...with NHL experience and playoff/cup experience...and the results are the same.  Talent of the 'core players' has to be considered as a big part of the issue.

Sorry, Bylsma is the only experienced coach and had a team handed him. We haven't had proven people in key positions. Period. Housley? Please he was not experienced.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Radar said:

Sorry, Bylsma is the only experienced coach and had a team handed him. We haven't had proven people in key positions. Period. Housley? Please he was not experienced.

The point still is the same. Bylsma DID have experience and started with the current core (among some other good young players no longer with the team).  Housley did have experience on the Nashville staff, not as head coach.....the point is...you have had a variety of different coaches..different ages, different backgrounds, different styles..and some with playoff success...and none have worked with this team.

What kind of coach do Sam and Jack want?  They had one that is a nice guy (Krueger). A former star player (Housley), a guy who won a cup with star players on his team (Bylsma). Nothing has worked with them..and just who are you going to get out there that will take this team and coach it into a cup contender?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

The point still is the same. Bylsma DID have experience and started with the current core (among some other good young players no longer with the team).  Housley did have experience on the Nashville staff, not as head coach.....the point is...you have had a variety of different coaches..different ages, different backgrounds, different styles..and some with playoff success...and none have worked with this team.

What kind of coach do Sam and Jack want?  They had one that is a nice guy (Krueger). A former star player (Housley), a guy who won a cup with star players on his team (Bylsma). Nothing has worked with them..and just who are you going to get out there that will take this team and coach it into a cup contender?

Experience. What's Bylsma doing these days? Housley? Ruff, oh he seems to be employed steadily and , I my opinion , the last decent coach we had. GM's, don't even want to go there. So, tell .e what you think is the problem? And I ask that respectfully.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Radar said:

Experience. What's Bylsma doing these days? Housley? Ruff, oh he seems to be employed steadily and , I my opinion , the last decent coach we had. GM's, don't even want to go there. So, tell .e what you think is the problem? And I ask that respectfully.

I think the team is not as talented as most fans think it is. I think fans in general think Eichel is better than he is.  He can be a star, but not generational at all.  I think Skinner is a below average NHL player. I think Halls best days are far behind him (his only 30 goal season of his career was 3 seasons and 1 knee surgery ago). I think Dahlin might be very good but he isn't yet, beyond him the current D-core is  well below average top to bottom.  You have an average to slightly above average goalie (who is hurt now) and a bad back up goalie. Olofsson is 1 dimensional, Reinhart can be good but not great.  Overall, I just think this team has below average talent up front...below average talent on the D-core, and the same in goal.  

To me, talent up front is when you can see a few 30+ goal seasons potentially from some of your forwards, at least rely on 25 goal season from a few of them.  Who has 30 goal talent up front (and I don't mean ONE time in their career, but something you can get a couple times in the next 5  years?)  Eichel?  Maybe, MAYBE VO or Reinhart?  thats not good enough.

You hire the best coach in the league (tell me who is available that they can get), and even then, with the teams current talent you are maybe competitive for that last playoff spot..but this this 'core' of players, you aren't going to be better than that.

I'm not saying that the coach may not be a problem..or that there aren't better ones out there. What I am saying is the talent on this team right now isn't good enough with anyone coaching for this to be a top tier team anytime in the near future.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I think the team is not as talented as most fans think it is. I think fans in general think Eichel is better than he is.  He can be a star, but not generational at all.  I think Skinner is a below average NHL player. I think Halls best days are far behind him (his only 30 goal season of his career was 3 seasons and 1 knee surgery ago). I think Dahlin might be very good but he isn't yet, beyond him the current D-core is  well below average top to bottom.  You have an average to slightly above average goalie (who is hurt now) and a bad back up goalie. Olofsson is 1 dimensional, Reinhart can be good but not great.  Overall, I just think this team has below average talent up front...below average talent on the D-core, and the same in goal.  

To me, talent up front is when you can see a few 30+ goal seasons potentially from some of your forwards, at least rely on 25 goal season from a few of them.  Who has 30 goal talent up front (and I don't mean ONE time in their career, but something you can get a couple times in the next 5  years?)  Eichel?  Maybe, MAYBE VO or Reinhart?  thats not good enough.

You hire the best coach in the league (tell me who is available that they can get), and even then, with the teams current talent you are maybe competitive for that last playoff spot..but this this 'core' of players, you aren't going to be better than that.

I'm not saying that the coach may not be a problem..or that there aren't better ones out there. What I am saying is the talent on this team right now isn't good enough with anyone coaching for this to be a top tier team anytime in the near future.

The talent on this team I believe is better than you believe it is. Certainly better than it's performance. Sorry, I just think you're under evaluating our players.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.