GDT: 2/28/21, 3pm ET, Philadelphia @ Buffalo, MSG & ESPN+

jsb

Eichel completely took this game off.  Yeah, maybe he's still hurt, but then he shouldn't be playing.

His half-assed defense on Philly's first goal was embarrassing.

If your captain is going to mail it in like this, you have no chance at success. 

None!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Eichel completely took this game off.  Yeah, maybe he's still hurt, but then he shouldn't be playing.

His half-assed defense on Philly's first goal was embarrassing.

If your captain is going to mail it in like this, you have no chance at success. 

None!

This is how angry fanbases set up the situation. If a guy plays injured, then he has no business being out there and it was a mistake. If the guy takes the game off he’s a ***** and a bad leader who doesn’t care about his teammates.

The end opinion is always the same.

• Like (+1) 1

Losing back to back 3-0 games is disgusting.  The really sad thing is giving up only 3 goals per game means that both games were winnable despite starting your backup and 3rd string goalies.  

What is even sadder is that we as fans knew in both games once Philly scored the 1st goal that all was lost because the offense has no clue how to score. Hard to believe these are NHL players.

The Sabres actually feature 8 players who have scored 20 or more goals in a season including 2 40 goal scorers in Skinner and Staal, and 30 goal scorers Eichel and Hall.  How did nearly 3 lines of 20+ scorers all literally forget how to score in the same season at even strength?  

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, SDS said:

This is how angry fanbases set up the situation. If a guy plays injured, then he has no business being out there and it was a mistake. If the guy takes the game off he’s a ***** and a bad leader who doesn’t care about his teammates.

The end opinion is always the same.

I agree, but, were fans, emotionally vested in the team, and that will bring out the inner child temper tantrum in most of us.

I do try to use humor to mask my own disappointment lately, although I have espoused changing both management and the players, a fresh slate.

Is it the analysis of the past 6 or seasons that drives that view I have? Sure, I can admit to that. 

Is there a less deconstructing way? Anything is possible. But some of these players will have to be jettisoned to make it happen, again, in my opinion.

6 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I’m in Vegas and to be honest with you I don’t think either of those coaches could fix this squad long term. Gallant was let go easily twice and Beaudreau is much worse. 

Jack is not a leader... great player but not a leader.  

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

With all due respect Punch this isn’t the Bills. Clearly the Pegulas used a different formula with the Bills. Their track record with the Sabres is littered with bad decisions going back 10 years. I agree they need toughness and heart. To accomplish that they’ll have to move some out that don’t appear to have any. 

I don’t think they have a formula at all.  They just got more help from the NFL than they are getting from the NHL.   The Pegula’s heard about McDermott years before they hired him - Brandon was they guy that led them to Rex Ryan instead.  The NFL provides all teams with information on coaches and front office people to provide opportunities and keep balance.  The NFL protects their brand and wants to succeed in every market they are in.  The NHL pales in comparison.  

Pegula got off to a bad start with the NHL.  His “reason for existence...” quote probably didn’t go over well either.  In the NFL circles Kim Pegula is becoming more influential and she brings diversity that the NFL welcomes.   At NHL meetings I seriously doubt Kim is treated as well. 

I just think they got lucky with the Bills and they haven’t found that yet in the NHL.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bunomatic said:

With all due respect Punch this isn’t the Bills. Clearly the Pegulas used a different formula with the Bills. Their track record with the Sabres is littered with bad decisions going back 10 years. I agree they need toughness and heart. To accomplish that they’ll have to move some out that don’t appear to have any. 

No, they just got lucky taking a chance on McDermott, Also, even though Pegula hired Beane it was McDermott that brought him in . Remember, Pegula hired Rex Ryan.

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

Jack is a young man. Young men cannot be leaders unless guided to how to become such. 

Fair enough but some are too arrogant to know better and won't become one til they are humbled.  Jack is in the process of being humbled.

Edited by North Buffalo

8 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I agree, but, were fans, emotionally vested in the team, and that will bring out the inner child temper tantrum in most of us.

I do try to use humor to mask my own disappointment lately, although I have espoused changing both management and the players, a fresh slate.

Is it the analysis of the past 6 or seasons that drives that view I have? Sure, I can admit to that. 

Is there a less deconstructing way? Anything is possible. But some of these players will have to be jettisoned to make it happen, again, in my opinion.

Can they petition to be included in the expansion draft with Seattle?  Vegas has maintained a very good team with what they started with in the expansion draft, trades and free agency.

This franchise needs to start over from scratch.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, gilbert11 said:

Can they petition to be included in the expansion draft with Seattle?  Vegas has maintained a very good team with what they started with in the expansion draft, trades and free agency.

This franchise needs to start over from scratch.  

Not with the current owner and GM. Can we bring back Punch?

4 hours ago, nucci said:

No, they just got lucky taking a chance on McDermott, Also, even though Pegula hired Beane it was McDermott that brought him in . Remember, Pegula hired Rex Ryan.

Yeah they got lucky. I don’t follow Football. That much is probably obvious. I don’t post in the Bills thread.  So the Pegulas are probably not only bad at hockey ownership but also bad at football ownership. Get out of sports team ownership Terry. Ya smuck.

Edited by bunomatic
Felt like it
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Losing back to back 3-0 games is disgusting.  The really sad thing is giving up only 3 goals per game means that both games were winnable despite starting your backup and 3rd string goalies.  

What is even sadder is that we as fans knew in both games once Philly scored the 1st goal that all was lost because the offense has no clue how to score. Hard to believe these are NHL players.

The Sabres actually feature 8 players who have scored 20 or more goals in a season including 2 40 goal scorers in Skinner and Staal, and 30 goal scorers Eichel and Hall.  How did nearly 3 lines of 20+ scorers all literally forget how to score in the same season at even strength?  

Ralph Kruger has to be the problem.  Nothing else makes sense. 

58 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Agreed. If you can’t score 5 on 5 with a top 6 of guys mostly known for their goal scoring ( plus Skinner ) then its got to be systems. Or they’ve simply tuned you out in which case the coach generally goes. Its coaching. I’m not sure I’ve actually seen him coach during the games. He stands there much like Housley.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The scarier aspect is always: the worse Krueger looks, the more ridiculous it looks that the higher-ups brought him in at all. It reflects as poorly on those doing the hiring and it's more dire because it means more similar decisions may be coming. 

• Like (+1) 1

With this marathon stretch of games you'd think the older vets would need a break here and there, guys like Okposo or Staal.... but no, he sits a fresh young Cozens instead, a kid who has legs for days and has been playing well.   

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

With this marathon stretch of games you'd think the older vets would need a break here and there, guys like Okposo or Staal.... but no, he sits a fresh young Cozens instead, a kid who has legs for days and has been playing well.   

He already said yesterday - the system is infallible. Only the execution can be questioned.

The plan to sit Cozens was put into affect weeks ago, it's a proven plan, you don't question it now or attempt to adapt to real-time information on the fly. If you question the information, you don't believe. And if you don't believe, you don't have confidence. And with no confidence, there can be no synergy. 

It's organizational. They said they know a little something the fans don't. They already *know* their strategies are the right ones. We just haven't had our eyes opened yet. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

He already said yesterday - the system is infallible. Only the execution can be questioned.

The plan to sit Cozens was put into affect weeks ago, it's a proven plan, you don't question it now or attempt to adapt to real-time information on the fly. If you question the information, you don't believe. And if you don't believe, you don't have confidence. And with no confidence, there can be no synergy. 

ok coach <sad cozens noises>

• Haha (+1) 1

It's like the Sabres are my cigarettes and you guys are the guys I chain smoke with while driving around aimlessly on a Friday evening - I didn't even notice the rest of the NHL playoffs last fall, only heard of offseason moves at the dinner table, and have only seen a combined ~15 periods of Sabres hockey since this "season" began - solely because it's the only hobby I share with my sister, and I like to spend time with her. 

I've been hit by the massive club that is shifting priorities in your mid-20s - it's a shame the Bills couldn't have put that run together one season earlier, because I didn't enjoy it the way I would have on the other side. It barely moved the needle actually, and the Sabres are likewise occupying about 3% of my brain and 0% of my emotional state.

Nevertheless I reached out to Taro last week, and just like that, I found myself watching both Sabres games this weekend, and then listening to GR this morning (wow!). The pull was nonexistent for months, but for some reason it came back. The Sabres aren't actually cigarettes, and the only negative thing I'm doing to myself in returning is cementing my image as one of those guys who leaves in a temper tantrum only to come crawling back...twice now! Good lord. I promise I'm not like this in real life.

Luckily I bet circumstances around the team and "season" in general mean I'm far from the only one slinking in and out from/for long hibernations, so maybe it'll go unnoticed..

Not a fan of the jerseys. Other than that, we've all seen this game on repeat for the last decade, so nothing to add. I don't even think it bothers me that they're bad whatsoever. I miss the community of watching sports with the bros more than anything else. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

It's like the Sabres are my cigarettes and you guys are the guys I chain smoke with while driving around aimlessly on a Friday evening - I didn't even notice the rest of the NHL playoffs last fall, only heard of offseason moves at the dinner table, and have only seen a combined ~15 periods of Sabres hockey since this "season" began - solely because it's the only hobby I share with my sister, and I like to spend time with her. 

I've been hit by the massive club that is shifting priorities in your mid-20s - it's a shame the Bills couldn't have put that run together one season earlier, because I didn't enjoy it the way I would have on the other side. It barely moved the needle actually, and the Sabres are likewise occupying about 3% of my brain and 0% of my emotional state.

Nevertheless I reached out to Taro last week, and just like that, I found myself watching both Sabres games this weekend, and then listening to GR this morning (wow!). The pull was nonexistent for months, but for some reason it came back. The Sabres aren't actually cigarettes, and the only negative thing I'm doing to myself in returning is cementing my image as one of those guys who leaves in a temper tantrum only to come crawling back...twice now! Good lord. I promise I'm not like this in real life.

Luckily I bet circumstances around the team and "season" in general mean I'm far from the only one slinking in and out from/for long hibernations, so maybe it'll go unnoticed..

Not a fan of the jerseys. Other than that, we've all seen this game on repeat for the last decade, so nothing to add. I don't even think it bothers me that they're bad whatsoever. I miss the community of watching sports with the bros more than anything else. 

Whoa. 

31 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

FLAGG!!!

Good to hear from you.

Told you guys the low point was yesterday. With Flagg back, we're making' the playoffs!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.