Is There a Path Forward for Eichel and the Sabres?

Curt

22 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

Heard a rumor about him being in rehab fwiw

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

From Adams yesterday, it sounds like there is uncertainty over the correct treatment path (I read it "is surgery necessary") and a decision about that will be made soon.

At the time of that decision, we will get an update.

So maybe they're trying therapy and if that doesn't work, surgery is the next option.

Just now, Brawndo said:

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

This a million percent. Gionta and Gorges were brought in to be role models for the young core. Kane and Bogo’s Attitude was more screw those two and hang with us.

There just isn't that level of accountability with the sabres as a team like the Bills.  I feel like there were incidents with partying and the Bills, poyer's drama, zay jones incident.  And it seems like the player almost felt like they let down their team.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I don't think the team confirmed it was a neck injury did they? Latest I saw them say was "upper body" 

I think NHL rules require simply "UBI" or "LBI" and nothing more.  Some teams are more open about how much they share; the Sabres seem to stick to the minimum.  The idea is that if you reveal too much about an injury (ribs, for instance), opposing teams can target that area and make a player's life miserable.

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

This a million percent. Gionta and Gorges were brought in to be role models for the young core. Kane and Bogo’s Attitude was more screw those two and hang with us.

Then Murray was an idiot and should have been fired even sooner.

It also further illustrates the idea that it's much more so about the specifics of how Murray went about those trades being an issue than it being an issue merely for the fact he made them (ie - he gave up too many picks)

He did, but only cause his trades weren't good/weren't made at the proper time

13 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I would bet dollars to donuts that 75% of non-married NHL players are getting after it with great regularity. Just like I would bet dollars to donuts on MLB and NFL and NBA players doing the same. Young people do drugs and imbibe. Even more so when you have the disposable income that they do. 

That's quite a stereotype. What percentage of young people do you think do drugs? Are we counting pot? I don't think a majority of young people even smoke pot, at least according to reputable surveys I've seen, let alone hard stuff.

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Then Murray was an idiot and should have been fired even sooner.

It also further illustrates the idea that it's much more so about the specifics of how Murray went about those trades being an issue than it being an issue merely for the fact he made them (ie - he gave up too many picks)

He did, but only cause his trades weren't good/weren't made at the proper time

Murray was an idiot. 

Just now, PASabreFan said:

If the rumors are false, the Sabres aren't doing themselves any favors by keeping Jack hidden away. If they're true, his disappearance makes perfect sense.

If he is in physical therapy why would he be around?

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

That's quite a stereotype. What percentage of young people do you think do drugs? Are we counting pot? I don't think a majority of young people even smoke pot, at least according to reputable surveys I've seen, let alone hard stuff.

Totally agree. Maybe in the bubble one finds themselves in, in their community and surrounding regions.... but by and large, the majority of young adults who have a decent or large amount of disposable income are not doing drugs, smoking pot, or hell even smoking cigarettes. Drinking alcohol is another story. But then there is difference between “enjoying alcohol” and getting hammered when you do. The majority of young adults who are enjoying alcohol are not getting hammered every time they partake. Only the amateurs who don’t have a “stop sign” in their brain are getting hammered. And that usually extends to adulthood, if they make it that far.

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No, it's pretty High here in Canada though. 

33% age 20-24 used marijuana last 12 months 

Edited by Thorny

11 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Totally agree. Maybe in the bubble one finds themselves in, in their community and surrounding regions.... but by and large, the majority of young adults who have a decent or large amount of disposable income are not doing drugs, smoking pot, or hell even smoking cigarettes. Drinking alcohol is another story. But then there is difference between “enjoying alcohol” and getting hammered when you do. The majority of young adults who are enjoying alcohol are not getting hammered every time they partake. Only the amateurs who don’t have a “stop sign” in their brain are getting hammered. And that usually extends to adulthood, if they make it that far.

This is pretty a critical take on those who suffer from the disease that is alcoholism. Not sure if calling them “amateurs ” is fair or even logical. 

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

This is pretty a critical take on those who suffer from the disease that is alcoholism. Not sure if calling them “amateurs ” is fair or even logical. 

And let's not forget that alcohol is a drug, too

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

In the three years I played hockey at college 100% of the team had done drugs in the last 30 days, which is how the surveys are measured. Didn’t matter how much roster turnover we had. I asked my little brother how many on his high school team do drugs and he said at least 75%. Having talked to guys having played in the NAHL and lower level juniors, those numbers would hold accurate there as well. Drugs are ingrained in sport culture. And yes, I am including pot. I would guess 10-15% of players above the high school level have done cocaine in the last 30 days as well. I would also imagine very few of them would consider cocaine a hard drug. 

27 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

43.2% of the military are classified as weekly binge drinkers and of those, 70% are classified as heavy drinkers. Having fallen in the latter category for a significant amount of time, I’m comfortable saying this person knows very little about alcoholism. 

The lifestyle and stress of the military is probably much closer to a professional athlete than whatever the majority of people here do. I am very comfortable making the claims I have made today about drug and alcohol use among NHL players. Especially when you consider that anyone with half a brain knows that cannabis and cocaine are significantly less harmful than alcohol with very few ill effects. 

11 minutes ago, #freejame said:

43.2% of the military are classified as weekly binge drinkers and of those, 70% are classified as heavy drinkers. Having fallen in the latter category for a significant amount of time, I’m comfortable saying this person knows very little about alcoholism. 

The lifestyle and stress of the military is probably much closer to a professional athlete than whatever the majority of people here do. I am very comfortable making the claims I have made today about drug and alcohol use among NHL players. Especially when you consider that anyone with half a brain knows that cannabis and cocaine are significantly less harmful than alcohol with very few ill effects. 

I’m pretty comfortable with your take as well. Anyone who doesn’t agree has never been around a hockey team.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Overall Alcohol does more harm to more areas of the body than any other recreational drug.  Cocaine does more harm to the brain especially the feeling centers and pot does more damage to the lungs... more than cigarettes but generally I agree with your statements.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Overall Alcohol does more harm to more areas of the body than any other recreational drug.  Cocaine does more harm to the brain especially the feeling centers and pot does more damage to the lungs... more than cigarettes but generally I agree with your statements.

Not to get into the weeds here, but I’m pretty sure that is not true.

And believe me, I’ve done the research.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Not to get into the weeds here, but I’m pretty sure that is not true.

And believe me, I’ve done the research.

It depends on if you’re smoking joints and blunts. My understanding is if all things are equal in terms of worse for you it goes blunts, cigarettes, joints. 

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

It depends on if you’re smoking joints and blunts. My understanding is if all things are equal in terms of worse for you it goes blunts, cigarettes, joints. 

Yeah, but blunts made with cigar wrappers, which are tobacco.

Maybe in the 70s it was worse, when weed had around 6% THC and you had to smoke a full joint or two to get high. But today, average weed is 20 or 30% THC and you only need a hit or two. Plus most people use vaporizers which only get hot enough to decarboxilate the THCA and not burn the plant matter, making it even less harmful.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.