Casey Mittelstadt - Here to Stay?

GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

22 year old Mitts, 20 year old Cozens, 18 year old Beniers😀

And a 24-year-old Eichel.

Casey is suddenly looking every inch the player we thought he’d become in three years, three years ago.

Cozens tonight went from good for a rookie, to good. That kid was made to be a hockey player.

I’ve conditioned myself to not expect things like this to ever happen, but I’ll be goddamned if I don’t enjoy a moment like this when it’s here.

• Like (+1) 6

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Casey’s confidence is growing each game.  Do we finally have the ROR replacement?  Granato is now using him in all situations, 5 on 5, PP, Pk and end of game.  Keep it up kid! 

I think that'll more so be Cozens, with his to-be-dominant 200 foot play. Not that Casey is bad on D I just see Cozens as more in that role. I'm picturing what Casey might do in the Roy role circa 05-06

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think that'll more so be Cozens, with his to-be-dominant 200 foot play. Not that Casey is bad on D I just see Cozens as more in that role. I'm picturing what Casey might do in the Roy role circa 05-06

Speaking of...

This is just abuse of the Caps best players

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Casey’s confidence is growing each game.  Do we finally have the ROR replacement?  Granato is now using him in all situations, 5 on 5, PP, Pk and end of game.  Keep it up kid! 

No, Cozens is the 2nd line center I think going forward. 

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Cozens was so good last night: fast, strong, smart and committed.

I think it was his best game as a pro.

ROR didn't have the speed to make some of the plays I've seen Cozens make defensively, and then be at the center of a chance at the other end right after. I've never seen a Sabre forward quite like cozens. 

• Like (+1) 2

The 2017 draft was so weird. It will be interesting to see how it all settles out in 5 or 6 years.

Did you know Casey sits 7th in his class in goals, and 10th in points? I wonder if the internet experts are still talking him up as a bust and Gabe Villardi, Morgan Frost, Cody Glass as studs-in-the-making?

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The 2017 draft was so weird. It will be interesting to see how it all settles out in 5 or 6 years.

Did you know Casey sits 7th in his class in goals, and 10th in points? I wonder if the internet experts are still talking him up as a bust and Gabe Villardi, Morgan Frost, Cody Glass as studs-in-the-making?

Cody Glass is still good, just buried in Vegas. Morgan Frost is injured and has been the entire year. 

Vilardi is interesting though. I wonder about him and why he isn't better. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Cozens was so good last night: fast, strong, smart and committed.

I think it was his best game as a pro.

Cozens is an underrated passer. 

Maybe it's not always the s!ck sauce variety but just look at the goal to BJORK yesterday - simple little feed but it was just the awareness to find him.

He's a good set up man. Reminds me a little of Jeff Carter. 

But there's more of a relentlessness to his game. The temperament is where I see a bit of Bergeron, who people have mentioned. Cozens is bigger than him, stylistically different, but that drive is there with both

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

And a 24-year-old Eichel.

Casey is suddenly looking every inch the player we thought he’d become in three years, three years ago.

Cozens tonight went from good for a rookie, to good. That kid was made to be a hockey player.

I’ve conditioned myself to not expect things like this to ever happen, but I’ll be goddamned if I don’t enjoy a moment like this when it’s here.

Also consider that Mitts is driving a bus consisting of his Rochester linemates, and Cozens is driving a bus of two very mature (one might say overripe even) prospects.  One of the things IHCDG appears to be very good at is line composition, and I think he catalyzes the chemistry in those lines with his video sessions (apparently he does each line separately).

We've had coaches that have mishandled young talent for so long that we can't get our heads around a coach that develops and deploys his players properly.

• 1 month later...

So, he had a nice year. Not mind blowing, but much better then anyone thought he’d have I would think …

Did he EARN a multi-year deal?

I’d commit to a 3 to 5 year deal on him.

In the neighborhood of 2.5 to 3.5 mil. per. That way if he completely regresses it wouldn’t be another albatross of a contract.

39 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So, he had a nice year. Not mind blowing, but much better then anyone thought he’d have I would think …

Did he EARN a multi-year deal?

I’d commit to a 3 to 5 year deal on him.

In the neighborhood of 2.5 to 3.5 mil. per. That way if he completely regresses it wouldn’t be another albatross of a contract.

I'd go 2 year bridge, keep him hungry. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Bridge deals work out so good like with Reino, eh?

I would argue they worked beautifully with Reinhart. He played at or below market value every year and we could have moved him for value at any point in time. And he improved each season. 
The problem isn’t Reino (he’s fine). The problem is that the franchise is in only slightly better a place and with only a touch more stability than it was when Reinhart was drafted. And when he was drafter we were intentionally jettisoning out NHL-caliber players and stripping the AHL to the bones too. And he’s seen no continuous improvement of the organization for his entire career that might lead him to re-sign here. 

(Edit: phone autocorrected to a misspelling) 

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.