Ullmark: Maybe a bright spot in the darkness?

Eleven

Ullmark has been incredible lately.  I know, he had the "Jersey flu" today, and so he's likely out until 2022 or whatever.  But he, omigosh, has been making amazing saves and just covers everything.  The Sabres would have won tonight had he been able to continue.  

I think the Sabs finally have their man in goal.  He's not Hasek, but he might be Miller?

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ullmark has been incredible lately.  I know, he had the "Jersey flu" today, and so he's likely out until 2022 or whatever.  But he, omigosh, has been making amazing saves and just covers everything.  The Sabres would have won tonight had he been able to continue.  

I think the Sabs finally have their man in goal.  He's not Hasek, but he might be Miller?

After watching him in the first tonight, I thought to myself “he’s not Hasek, but he could be a Miller.”

• Like (+1) 2

Short term outlook:  At 5-4-2 2.44GAA and 0.919SV, he is by far the best goalie in the system right now and maybe the only NHL-caliber goalie we currently have.  But...

Sabres' accelerated schedule doesn't slow down, with six games in the next ten days.  At 1-4 3.24GAA and 0.889SV%, Hutton simply can't hang.  If Ullmark is out for even ten days, and they decide to ride Hutton, you might as well put a bullet in the season now.

JJ doesn't look ready, but hasn't gotten enough time.  Tokarski and UPL have good enough numbers to get look in Buffalo, however, but they're unproven and likely not ready for long term action... yet.  All three combine for only six games of NHL or AHL action under their belts in 2021.  Not a lot of prep means bigger risk.

If Ullmark is out, get ready for the AHL goalie rotating showcase and expect it to be better than Hutton but worse than Ullmark.

• Like (+1) 4

We discussed this back in May, June, July, etc... Number 1 priority for KA was to shore up the goaltending by replacing Hutton.   

That was it... We all saw it coming and it was a foregone conclusion that Hutton would be upgraded with a bonafide starter, and then let Ullmark and him compete for the starting spot.   There were many goalies available.

They chose to stick with Hutton and now it's going to bite them in the ass.   I don't have any sympathy for any of them.   And if I'm Eichel, it's these types of blunders over and over and over again that would make me want out.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Ullmark has been trough alot lately but still shown up when its game time. Can't even imagine how it is to have your father dying and you cant even get to the hospital to say good bye. 

But Linus just keep improving, and his positive way of living might actually be what will save him from following this club down the drain with Ralph cupcake in the front. He might just save us all from disaster, who knows. 

But if we would turn this around (most unlikely with Ralph running the show), but if we somehow does Linus will be one of the reasons, hell he might even be the reason.

• Like (+1) 1

Linus was playing great last night before he got hurt.  If I recall, he was starting to play pretty well last season too before getting hurt in late January.  Hopefully he is back real soon

To the negative though, he really shouldn’t have had to stand on his head against NJ.  We were handing out scoring chances like Halloween candy

Edited by Bob in Mich
  • Like (+1) 1

Ullmark is showing that he is probably a starting level goalie going forward.  Possibly one of the top-15 goalies in the league.

It’s been really nice to watch his continued development over the past few years.

I hope Buffalo keeps him. I think he could provide some stability moving forward.  I really like his personality too.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That sequence in the first period last night was unbelievable. Whose memory is good enough to rank such things, but it would have to be up there in team history.

Sadly, Dan did not pay proper homage to it. "Hischier!" Silence.

The red light went on.  I think that's why he stopped.

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

We discussed this back in May, June, July, etc... Number 1 priority for KA was to shore up the goaltending by replacing Hutton.   

That was it... We all saw it coming and it was a foregone conclusion that Hutton would be upgraded with a bonafide starter, and then let Ullmark and him compete for the starting spot.   There were many goalies available.

They chose to stick with Hutton and now it's going to bite them in the ass.   I don't have any sympathy for any of them.   And if I'm Eichel, it's these types of blunders over and over and over again that would make me want out.

100% AGREE. If this team is serious about winning this season then Hutton can not spend another minute in the line-up. He needs to be relegated to the Taxi squad or out right released.

The worst part is that this is something thats not new to them. He was the worst goalie in the league last season and they came back with him. Why sign Hall to 1 year deal and come back with Hutton? it makes no sense.  

For all the good Adams may have done this off-season, it totally negated by him not improving the goalie tandem.

I would like to add that there are a few bright spots this season. Borgen, Ullmark, Cozens. The much improved play of McCabe and Risto. Hopefully Mitts will be officially added to this category. I think Dahlin has improved a lot and with Borgen we really started to see  him break out.  The PP and PPK have been decent. The PP is the league's best.

It was always going to be a tough year playing in this division.  

Next year Hutton is gone. Could we see a Ullmark and UPL tandem? either way the goaltending wil be improved.

There will be a lot of eye-rolling on this statement but I forecast a top 10 team next year  Definite playoff team in their actual division...and yes i know we are all tired of next year.

The PP is a huge bright spot. Might be the best I have ever seen. Makes the PK look silly and runs them ragged all over the ice for the entire PP at times with sublime puck movement. First unit, second unit, no Eichel, no Skinner...doesn't matter they just are an unstoppable machine.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

That Ullmark sequence and Sam's lacrosse goal were those moments where you stop and “say how did he do that?”

It is so sad they were squandered and will vanish from our memory banks in the quicksand that is Pegula Sabres.

I won't forget Sam's goal. 

That was exceptional. 

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Ullmark is the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Watching Linus fight for the shutout the other night and the disappointment shown really won my heart over for the long haul.

Something solid to build upon...

He won my heart over when he pointed to a picture of Old Jack Eichel at the Anchor Bar in one of those Blue and Gold deals.

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He won my heart over when he pointed to a picture of Old Jack Eichel at the Anchor Bar in one of those Blue and Gold deals.

All joking aside, I'm still a big fan of Jack Eichel and could sure understand why Eichel might wish to be part of something bigger and better then he's a part of now. A little success to show for all the hard work. 

its not to much to ask for is it... 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.