Jeff Skinner - The Poll

IKnowPhysics

The Jeff Skinner - Ralph Krueger Quagmire  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who is at fault for the current Jeff Skinner - Ralph Krueger situation (Jeff Skinner mostly playing on the 4th line and being benched 2+ games so far)?

• Jeff Skinner is at fault. Ralph Krueger is doing what is best for the team.
    • Ralph Krueger is at fault. Jeff Skinner is being mismanaged/misused.
    • Other (current GM, former GM, assistant coaches are at fault for creating this situation)
  2. 2. What is the best course of immediate action regarding Jeff Skinner?

• Jeff Skinner should play for the Buffalo Sabres as a top six forward.
    • Jeff Skinner should play for the Buffalo Sabres as a bottom six forward.
    • Jeff Skinner should ride bench for the Buffalo Sabres.
    • Jeff Skinner should be traded to another team.
    • Jeff Skinner should be bought out or buried.
  3. 3. What is the best course of immediate action for Ralph Krueger?

• Ralph Krueger should remain the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres.
    • Ralph Krueger should be moved/promoted to another role in the Hockey Department of the Buffalo Sabres.
    • Ralph Krueger should no longer work for the Buffalo Sabres.

This poll is closed to new votes

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because it hasn't been bad. The only that's been bad is his goal scoring. Every single other underlying stat is the same.

Basically I find your argument surface level bad. It ignores his usage and deployment. 

I don't think the benching is really about Skinner playing poorly.  I think it is about how he plays relative to how the coach wants him to play.  Howver, if Skinner were putting up points it would be tolerated more.

Whether or not he agrees with the how, I think it is imperative that the team as a whole is on the same page, and if one player is not on that page it affects the other players overall.  And we get the situation that exists now.

I said it Jack's 1st and 2nd year, and I'll say it regarding Skinner.  You do what the coach tells you to do.  If it doesn't work he gets fired and you move on.  You don't go rogue. 

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jsb said:

Tage played the right side........... SKINNER PLAYS THE LEFT, you didn't notice that and how many goals has Skinner scored this year??

Maybe you should sit down before you hurt yourself. I've noticed Skinners absence on 2 of the last 3 games. 

But hey, you didn't so no one did.

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Maybe you should sit down before you hurt yourself. I've noticed Skinners absence on 2 of the last 3 games. 

But hey, you didn't so no one did.

151290452_2432992786834343_5589408794139895324_n.thumb.jpg.8ae6af635d66ede7f1ddedd30a860d1b.jpg

To the bolded, as for the rest, I'm not the analytics guy that you are but I see things thru the production and eye test. The guy who's replaced him the past 3 games has 3 times the points in 1/3 the games played and he's not playing with Jack either. Also if I offended you, it was unintentional besides how it may have sounded/read. Maybe you could expound on why you thought he was missed even with the recent absences of key personnel and they still came out with 3 points in 3 games.

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

And here is the Ralph interview about Skinner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb3y4oVLOVY

Sounds just like it is, Coach don’t think Skinner is that into it. 

What message would that send to all those players working their butts off if a guy gets more playing time just because he makes so much money? 

So, we now have growing circumstantial evidence (both the Krueger and Skinner interviews today) that indeed, there is a rift on player personnel decisions, at least, between 1 player and Krueger. Yes, I understand it's merely "reading tea leaves", but, if you watched that Skinner interview, when combined with the complete obtuse denial type attitude by Krueger, and there can be little doubt there is serious friction.

With that, once again, humbled opinion, yet widely shared I am sure, opening salvo, when one reviews the entirety of the product on the ice under Krueger's tenure in conjunction with the personnel information bubbling to the surface, there is, again, in my most humbled opinion, only 1 recourse of action.

Fire the Prick, ASAP!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Because it hasn't been bad. The only that's been bad is his goal scoring. Every single other underlying stat is the same.

Basically I find your argument surface level bad. It ignores his usage and deployment. 

Usage and deployment colour results, they don’t dictate them. And you and I both know that Jeff Skinner was not being force fed tough defensive minutes against the other team’s best players last year.

Last time I checked goals for and against is the measurement for winning hockey games. If you can produce some arcane chart that “proves” no goals, three assists and -17 over 22 games was actually good, I think you’re missing the point of hockey.

Putting all your stock into theoretical measurements while dismissing actual results is the epitome of ivory tower thinking.

The emperor has no clothes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

So, we now have growing circumstantial evidence (both the Krueger and Skinner interviews today) that indeed, there is a rift on player personnel decisions, at least, between 1 player and Krueger. Yes, I understand it's merely "reading tea leaves", but, if you watched that Skinner interview, when combined with the complete obtuse denial type attitude by Krueger, and there can be little doubt there is serious friction.

With that, once again, humbled opinion, yet widely shared I am sure, opening salvo, when one reviews the entirety of the product on the ice under Krueger's tenure in conjunction with the personnel information bubbling to the surface, there is, again, in my most humbled opinion, only 1 recourse of action.

Fire the Prick, ASAP!

Fire the coach because a player making so much money he just doesn’t have the passion anymore? 

No thanks 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Fire the coach because a player making so much money he just doesn’t have the passion anymore? 

No thanks 

Your right.

The player should give all of the money to me, the passion shall return, the coach will keep his job, and I will get a new side by side, all is right with the world 😉

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It would be nice if one of the reporters was blunt with Ralphie and asked...”What exactly is it that Jeff Skinner isn’t doing correctly”?

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Now THAT would be an interview I would listen to.

He's answered this before by not answering.  He's said more than once that the decision is more about the group of 12 skaters that's on the ice and how they accomplish what the coaches are looking for and not about what individuals aren't doing.  In short, they see it as more of what they like the group that doesn't include Jeff more than what they don't like about Jeff.

What does he mean by this?  Who knows, maybe it could be something like, "we like our bottom six and how they've improved the PK, and we know adding Jeff doesn't make our PK better" or some *****.

7 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Edit:  it is a real link from the Sabres youtube page.  I just don't know how to get it to show the thumbnail...

You used the link that has youtu.be instead of youtube.com.  I think it's maybe the difference between mobile and desktop versions of the links?  Or something like that?

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Your right.

The player should give all of the money to me, the passion shall return, the coach will keep his job, and I will get a new side by side, all is right with the world 😉

I love that when thinking about acquiring millions of dollars, your first thought is of a new side by side.  Lol.

11 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

He's answered this before by not answering.  He's said more than once that the decision is more about the group of 12 skaters that's on the ice and how they accomplish what the coaches are looking for and not about what individuals aren't doing.  In short, they see it as more of what they like the group that doesn't include Jeff more than what they don't like about Jeff.

What does he mean by this?  Who knows, maybe it could be something like, "we like our bottom six and how they've improved the PK, and we know adding Jeff doesn't make our PK better" or some *****.

This is like “it’s not you, it’s me”.

It’s not that we don’t like Jeff Skinner, it’s just that we like the team better when he isn’t on it.  Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

It would be nice if one of the reporters was blunt with Ralphie and asked...”What exactly is it that Jeff Skinner isn’t doing correctly”?

The reason I like Mike H. is that he's most likely to ask that very question (but hasn't as far as I know). The rest are so weak and timid and feeble. I don't know why they're there, honestly. Young, untrained, overally deferential — possibly looking to look for Terry some day. See Kilgore, Ed. (I guess I'd put Wawrow up there with Mike; John's no shrinking violet.)

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The reason I like Mike H. is that he's most likely to ask that very question (but hasn't as far as I know). The rest are so weak and timid and feeble. I don't know why they're there, honestly. Young, untrained, overally deferential — possibly looking to look for Terry some day. See Kilgore, Ed. (I guess I'd put Wawrow up there with Mike; John's no shrinking violet.)

John’s had an unhealthy chip on his shoulder on here, but he seems to be a pro at his job.

He seems to strike the right balance between asking the tough questions but not being an ass about it.

Harrington seems to have reined himself toward that line recently after a long stretch of being a dick, although my only exposure to his work these days is recognizing his voice in a presser.

Edited by dudacek

• 11 months later...

The Ralph Krueger effect on Skinner is remarkable.

Skinner's best two seasons in Carolina were 63 pts (31 and 37 goals in those seasons)

First year in Buffalo was 40 goals and 63 pts.

83 games under RK 16g 10a  including 2g 1a in 25 games last year.

This season 20g 14a in 45 games thus on pace for 36 goals 62 points.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Pulling out this museum piece.

Ralph Krueger was fired and top-line Jeff Skinner is currently on pace for a 36 goal season.

I personally hate “on pace for” discussions because they almost never line up with exactly what happens by the time the season ends. That being said … he’s having a good season so far (key word). He needs to continue it without going cold in order to finish the season and consider it a “good season”.  IF he gets injured for a few games, or IF he goes cold for 10 games, it will most likely be viewed as another “bad season” for Skinner.

20 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I personally hate “on pace for” discussions because they almost never line up with exactly what happens by the time the season ends. That being said … he’s having a good season so far (key word). He needs to continue it without going cold in order to finish the season and consider it a “good season”.  IF he gets injured for a few games, or IF he goes cold for 10 games, it will most likely be viewed as another “bad season” for Skinner.

Regardless, he is still playing much better than year, currently leading the team in points. Should he miss the rest of the season, he still would have outproduced his time under Krueger.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.