Matt Moulson Update

LabattBlue

I know his two seasons in the AHL with Ontario he played under his Sabres contract, but last season and this one, he is playing for Hershey at an AHL vet type salary at the age of 37.  He must really love playing professional hockey when after spending a decade in the NHL living the dream, has gone back to riding buses.  Don't get me wrong, if he is making 500-700k(or more), its definitely more than he would be making in the real world.  Just not a choice you see many established NHL'ers make as their careers come to an end.

17 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I know his two seasons in the AHL with Ontario he played under his Sabres contract, but last season and this one, he is playing for Hershey at an AHL vet type salary at the age of 37.  He must really love playing professional hockey when after spending a decade in the NHL living the dream, has gone back to riding buses.  Don't get me wrong, if he is making 500-700k(or more), its definitely more than he would be making in the real world.  Just not a choice you see many established NHL'ers make as their careers come to an end.

Found his love for the game again. They named him captain this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

Could lead to a career in coaching/scouting/player development.  

Good point.  He is taking the honest way to a career in Hockey(post playing).  

Didn't he realize that going to work for the Academy of Hockey will get him an NHL role much quicker?  😂

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Yeah he either loves to play or mismanaged the money he made in his NHL days.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Ran into him at Toyota Center in LA (Kings practice facility) a couple years ago.    He loves the game, it's that simple.

No doubt he loves to play.  I've always been curious if he, like so many other hockey players (from PeeWee to the NHL) just got burned out after an entire life of training.

Here's an article from 2013 about him and Dumba and the "sacrifices" their parents made:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-roulette-why-some-parents-devote-everything-for-the-infinitesimal-chance-of-getting-their-kid-into-the-nhl

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

I hear Marty Biron say how he never plays goal anymore and rarely skates. That strikes me so weird. Mind you it's just beer league but I played until I could barely walk anymore because I couldn't bear to stop playing goal myself. (Knees were shot.) Maybe when it's your job you can't wait to get away from it?

After surgeries I'm finally skating again over a year and a half later, but no more goaltending. Even if I could do it you lose so much of that skill after just a few months.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.