Hockey Inexplicable — plays that drive you batty

PASabreFan

I'll open with three:

1. The coast to the bench. I know the rule about the exiting player needing to be three feet from the bench is not strictly applied, but still you're losing a second or two for the entering player. The optics are terrible. That said, it's an established and accepted way of leaving the ice.

2. Same issue — coasting on the backcheck. See Gilmour, Doug and one of the worst days of our hockey lives. Also well established and seemingly accepted.

3. This one will probably stroke me out some day if the Sabres ever get back into the playoffs — four seconds left in a period, the puck down below the Sabres' goal line, defenseman grabs the puck, unchallenged, and rings it up the boards onto the stick of an opposing player for a screaming shot at the Buffalo net.

Go ahead. Unburden yourself. You are amongst friends.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Not getting it deep during your teams shift change instead trying a move with two defenders around you... getting puck stripped and it going the other way.  Especially during second period

People hate on okposo (justifiably), but this is one thing he's always doing if he has the puck on a change.  He dumps, and depending on the length of shift, he'll chase to give everyone time, then hit the bench after.  

• Like (+1) 4

1) Physically getting near the net with the puck but choosing not to shoot and instead passing the puck away to a location much further away (typically the point) and then a shot comes from there.  I.E., trading prime shooting real estate for a shot from an area of much lesser value.   This happens many times in every game.

2) Something Dahlin just did the other night: dumping the puck into the offensive zone before making it to the red line, thus creating an icing call.  It's just stupid lack of attention to detail; a mistake a pro should never make; happens all the time.  

3)  Passing the puck on a 2 on 1 out of a feeling of obligation.  Sometimes the pass is just not there and it is often NOT the right play; I think the shot is probably the right call on many 2 on 1s, but most guys feel obligated to pass, even when everyone knows the pass is coming and the defender is in a position to break up the pass.

4) A forward with a wicked shot getting near the net, but choosing not to shoot b/c it's a 1 on 1 type scenario with the goalie and no one is in front of the net.  Forwards at the NHL level, particularly with modern stick technology, straight up beat NHL goalies 1 on 1 in every single game I watch.  These guys should be shooting the puck way more than they do.

They often say "at this level, a goalie is going to stop the puck if he can see it."  Oh yeah?  I see goalies get burned one-on-one in every single game, where the goalie's catching hand is simply not quick enough to stop a fast snap or wrist shot.  Many guys these days have ungodly shots!   

Shoot the puck more often! 

• Like (+1) 3

The sticks of today allow a harder shot compared to the olden days and the wooden sticks.  To get that extra though it seems players strive for that whippiness in the shaft in order to get better shot speed.

The thing that aggravates me as a viewer is that too many times they sacrifice release time in order to get that harder shot.  The extra speed on the shot is very often not worth the delay in release.  It has been many years since I played but it still holds today that allowing the goalie to square up is going to cost you goals.  Fire the damn puck !! ... is what I yell at the TV.  Hasn’t helped so far

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

1) Physically getting near the net with the puck but choosing not to shoot and instead passing the puck away to a location much further away (typically the point) and then a shot comes from there.  I.E., trading prime shooting real estate for a shot from an area of much lesser value.   This happens many times in every game.

2) Something Dahlin just did the other night: dumping the puck into the offensive zone before making it to the red line, thus creating an icing call.  It's just stupid lack of attention to detail; a mistake a pro should never make; happens all the time.  

3)  Passing the puck on a 2 on 1 out of a feeling of obligation.  Sometimes the pass is just not there and it is often NOT the right play; I think the shot is probably the right call on many 2 on 1s, but most guys feel obligated to pass, even when everyone knows the pass is coming and the defender is in a position to break up the pass.

4) A forward with a wicked shot getting near the net, but choosing not to shoot b/c it's a 1 on 1 type scenario with the goalie and no one is in front of the net.  Forwards at the NHL level, particularly with modern stick technology, straight up beat NHL goalies 1 on 1 in every single game I watch.  These guys should be shooting the puck way more than they do.

They often say "at this level, a goalie is going to stop the puck if he can see it."  Oh yeah?  I see goalies get burned one-on-one in every single game, where the goalie's catching hand is simply not quick enough to stop a fast snap or wrist shot.  Many guys these days have ungodly shots!   

Shoot the puck more often! 

2 - I feel like they let you get away with this quite a bit if its close.  

3 - Depends on the player, Jack with the long stick and the quick shot needs to be positioning his body to pass and ripping the shot though.  You should have your eyes on the goalie though to see what hes doing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

When players on a PK get the puck, have nobody around them and still can't get it out of the zone.  How freaking hard is it to just lift the puck high into the air down the middle of the ice?  

Borgen had a beautiful of this twice in his most recent game... then later in the game he was clearing easily.

The one I always grumble at myself is when a PKer gets the puck, the PPers are in a change and back defensively, and the PKer just whips it to the opposition defense. Instead, skate a circle at center ice, pass back to your own D...  then go for your change while they make a pass and launch it down ice. Maintain possession, maybe go for a long pass to the other forward for a short-handed goal attempt... and if the pass is missed it's not an icing.  But at least burn 5-10 more seconds off the clock. Instead it's right to their D and they're making the pass to their forwards coming off the bench. There's nothing wrong with carrying/holding the puck when you're on the kill.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Shot wide on the PP that clears the zone

I'll simplify this.   Shooting wide from 15' and in.  Drives me crazy.  I realize you don't want to be aiming for the jersey crest, but you also don't have to aim for a 3" x 3" target along the inside of the goalposts/cross bar.  I don't know if there is a fancy stat on this, but Jack seems to be a common offender of this.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

The sticks of today allow a harder shot compared to the olden days and the wooden sticks.  To get that extra though it seems players strive for that whippiness in the shaft in order to get better shot speed.

The thing that aggravates me as a viewer is that too many times they sacrifice release time in order to get that harder shot.  The extra speed on the shot is very often not worth the delay in release.  It has been many years since I played but it still holds today that allowing the goalie to square up is going to cost you goals.  Fire the damn puck !! ... is what I yell at the TV.  Hasn’t helped so far

This drives me nuts.  Back into the early 1980's, some top scorers could shoot a wrist shot with essentially a stick-handling grip.  This meant that the goaltender and defencemen had to always be alert because they could shoot the puck at any time.  Yes, the shot isn't as hard, but they caught players slightly out of position because they didn't telegraph when they were going to shoot.  Just not wasting the second getting wound up would almost certainly help.

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, coasting in any situation really, but also  taking a shot on goal from outside the slot when there's no one in front rather than driving the net. Easy pickings for the goalie and a loss of possession. Can anyone say Tage? Also not pursuing rebounds and just watching and admiring your play/shot. 

Pominville used to always do that and it was infuriating.  Kane would as well... and theyd miss the net entirely.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

When guys slow down in a puck race to try to "get body position" when they really just don't want to get hit.... just go get the damn puck and take the hit!

It depends. A lot of times. the play is to tie them up so that your teammate can get the puck.

2 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

Good post. Totally agree.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

The extra move at the blue line that causes your line mates to go offside when they are at top speed.

Absolutely (Jack). Or even worse, not passing to the teammate already at the blue line with speed, causing him to either have to stop or go offside (again, Jack).

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Borgen had a beautiful of this twice in his most recent game... then later in the game he was clearing easily.

The one I always grumble at myself is when a PKer gets the puck, the PPers are in a change and back defensively, and the PKer just whips it to the opposition defense. Instead, skate a circle at center ice, pass back to your own D...  then go for your change while they make a pass and launch it down ice. Maintain possession, maybe go for a long pass to the other forward for a short-handed goal attempt... and if the pass is missed it's not an icing.  But at least burn 5-10 more seconds off the clock. Instead it's right to their D and they're making the pass to their forwards coming off the bench. There's nothing wrong with carrying/holding the puck when you're on the kill.

I've been thinking this same thing. They work so hard to get the puck, then just waste the possession.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.