GDT 2/25/21: 7pm ET, NJ Devils @ Sabres, local TV and Radio

jsb

image.png.b611b814f48b870c5a0b6e23587c977f.png     VS.   image.png.3dab041a29378496eca01780c8b101cf.png

Yes that is not a misprint we are playing the NJ Devils again tonight as the Sabres return home after a 4 game road trip and it's also the 3rd game in a 5 in 7 day bonanza. Have we been regulated by our recent play by having to play these guys over and over?? Is the league making sure the Devils don't infect the rest of the division and have them continuing to play us over and over?? Are we in a Ground Hog Day Loop??

Questions still abound around this Sabres team, will Terry P. fire HCRK before the season ends ala the Habs and Julien, what would Brandon Montour return if we did trade him, will Dahlin continue his very good play as of late, will Bryson, Casey M. and Asplund play again tonight after their better than expected play of late?? Will Skinner get back on the ice, the case against is Casey M. has twice as many points as him in his brief time on the ice and Asplund in 2 games has more goals, so production may be a factor?? The team has won 2 of the last 3 games and look better than they have since after the Covid break. With a win tonight the team can jump from 8th to 6th in the Eastern Division Standings. Another positive is the very recent play of L. Ullmark who hopefully will continue his very hot play in goal and can unleash a Sabres winning streak. 

SABRES at DEVILS

• This is the fifth of eight meetings between the Sabres and Devils this season having won 3 of the previous 4.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated New Jersey 4-1 in New Jersey on Feb. 23
  • Next meeting: Thursday, Feb. 25 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 6-4-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Devils; 3-5-2 on the road.
  • This is the 163rd game all-time between Buffalo and New Jersey; Buffalo has an 80-56-26 series record.
  • The Sabres are 36-28-15 on the road against the Devils all-time.

THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY

• The Sabres are 15-6-0 all-time on February 23.
  • February 23, 2011: The Sabres defeat the Atlanta Thrashers 4-1 in the team’s first game under the ownership of the Pegulas, a day after Terry and Kim Pegula announced their purchase of the team. All three members of the French Connection surprise Terry on the ice in a pre-game ceremony.
  • February 23, 2019: Sam Reinhart records his third career hat trick as the Sabres top the Washington Capitals by a score of 5-2.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

• The Sabres are 4-1-0 in their last five games against the Devils, outscoring New Jersey 24-13 in those contests. It’s the first time the Sabres have won at least four out of five games against the Devils since Buffalo won six straight matchups from Feb. 21, 2000 to Feb. 22, 2001.
  • The home team had won six straight games between these teams before each team won on the road in the two most recent games in the series. With a win tonight, the Sabres would have wins in consecutive visits to New Jersey for the first time since Oct. 23 and Nov. 10, 2010.
  • The Sabres’ special teams are plus-7 this season, with 16 goals for and nine goals against. Following last night’s game, they were tied for the third-best differential in the league.
  • I am 5-5-2 in my GDTs and I'm hoping a win tonight puts me with 8 games with points out of 13 as opposed to when I was gone @Brawndo @nfreeman and @spndnchz were a paltry 0-3 with only 2 goals scored for us and only @bob_sauve28 capable of pulling out a victory. So in case inquiring minds want to know, you now can be assured who the jinxes are for this team and why I propose a ban on mods starting GDTs. 😜😜

NHL NEWS: Julien fired as Habs coach already, they were one of the hottest teams in the league coming out of the gate, a few setbacks and he gets whacked, who would have thought the LA Kings would be the hottest team in the league after 6 straight victories and sweeping the St. Louis Blues in the process. The NHL games played outside recently although having a bit of an ice glitch had all time high tv ratings for the event. Can the NHL be finally catching on?? Zach Parise scored his 800th NHL point  in his last game, congrats on that achievement and in that game the Wild won their 4th straight game beating Colorado 6-2. In other Wild news Kirill Kaprizov is running away with the rookie scoring title with 15 points in 16 games and Dylan Cozens has 4 points and is tied for 20th. Yes there is an age difference but you have to admit that's a pretty hot start for the 23 year old Russian. Josh Norris is 2nd in scoring and Tim Stutzle is 4th who both play for Ottawa. Toronto, Florida, Boston and Vegas currently are the division leaders with lots of time for things to change but currently Colorado is 6th in the division and out of the playoff race at the moment. 

LETS GO BUFFALO

Some information was found at https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com 

Edited by jsb
last game date & score
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I think the Devils come in to this game playing mad. I'm expecting a tight affair in to overtime. All will hinge on goaltending. 

50/50 on who takes the tilt. I'll put on the homer hat and call it 4-3, Sabres in OT. 

For some reason, I hear this post in the voice of an old-timey, nasal-y radio announcer.

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Risto on the ice, will not play though

This is good news

1 minute ago, inkman said:

This is better news. I am making up all sorts of wild rumours already.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Eichel healthy scratched?

Eichel and Skinner to the Rangers for Lafreniere and their two worst contracts, confirmed.

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.