Travis Yost on WGR-550 Today; Worth Listening To

Kruppstahl

On 2/24/2021 at 6:37 PM, jad1 said:

I think it's more than just Skinner.  Eichel, Hall, Staal, Dahlin, Reinhart, and Skinner are struggling right now.  That's a lot of top six players bombing at the same time.

At the same time the bottom six is playing well, and the defense has cleaned up play in their own end.

So maybe the problem is that those skill players have seen their games erode, or they all have lousy attitudes, or they all want to be traded, or they got their paychecks and they don't care anymore.

Or maybe Ralph does a better job covering up weaknesses than optimizing strengths, and has difficulty coaching the better players in league.

The Sabres won't win many games playing not to lose. Krueger needs to prove he can maximize the skills of the top players on the roster if he's going to coach this team to a championship.  

What have they won playing the style of play that lets them open up and free wheel?

Nothing.

This team will have to learn to play defense first and then once they do RK will trust them to open it up more and not lose the defensive mindset. See the Islanders and Capitals for how to do it properly.

Do you not find it strange that some of their best hockey has come with a bunch of regulars out of the lineup? To me it says the players getting a shot to play are listening and doing what RK wants and seeing the results while the more established players are not or maybe haven't been broken of their bad habits yet.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

What have they won playing the style of play that lets them open up and free wheel?

Nothing.

This team will have to learn to play defense first and then once they do RK will trust them to open it up more and not lose the defensive mindset. See the Islanders and Capitals for how to do it properly.

Do you not find it strange that some of their best hockey has come with a bunch of regulars out of the lineup? To me it says the players getting a shot to play are listening and doing what RK wants and seeing the results while the more established players are not or maybe haven't been broken of their bad habits yet.

The only thing even remotely good about this team over the previous couple of seasons was the top line (Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Olofsson).

The first line play was playoff-quality over the last two seasons.

The Sabres didn't lose because the first line "free-wheeled." They lost because no other line could produce NHL-quality offense.

Bluntly said, if Eichel didn't have the year he did last season, the Sabres probably finish last in the league, and Krueger would have been shown the door with Botterill.

So I don't know what bad habits he needed to break for his best players, but if that's what he is trying to do, he should stop it immediately.

At least Krueger has figured out that Eichel and Reinhart need to play on the same line together.  You would think he would have learned that last year, but again this guy believes Tage Thompson is a top line foward. So, progress, I guess.

If this was the tank year, and the Sabres roster was loaded with bottom six fowards, Kruger's approach wouldn't be bad.

But a roster with Eichel, Reinhart, Hall, Olofsson, Skinner, Staal, and now Cozens should be better offensively. 

You got to believe that if Trotz or Laviolette were coaching this team (guys who can coach both offense and defense) they would be be challenging for the division lead, instead of struggling to be .500 against the Devils.

Edited by jad1

34 minutes ago, jad1 said:

The only thing even remotely good about this team over the previous couple of seasons was the top line (Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Olofsson).

The Sabres didn't lose because the first line "free-wheeled." They lost because no other line could produce NHL-quality offense.

Bluntly said, if Eichel didn't have the year he did last season, the Sabres probably finish last in the league, and Krueger would have been shown the door with Botterill.

So I don't know what bad habits he needed to break for his best players, but if that's what he is trying to do, he should stop it immediately.

At least Krueger has figured out that Eichel and Reinhart need to play on the same line together.  You would think he would have learned that last year, but again this guy believes Tage Thompson is a top line foward. So, progress, I guess.

If this was the tank year, and the Sabres roster was loaded with bottom six fowards, Kruger's approach wouldn't be bad.

But a roster with Eichel, Reinhart, Hall, Olofsson, Skinner, Staal, and now Cozens should be better offensively. 

You got to believe that if Trotz or Laviolette were coaching this team (guys who can coach both offense and defense) they would be be challenging for the division lead, instead of struggling to be .500 against the Devils.

Yes but they would still be playing the same defense first mindset RK is trying to instill.

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

I don't know.  Hall has had a couple down years in a row and is nothing close to the #1 overall pick everyone thought he would be.

Olofsson is great on the PP, but nothing 5 on 5.

Skinner is being so poorly used, it is almost impossible for him to make contributions, and he doesn't as a result.

Staal is long past his prime.  Forget the positive things you think about him and which are associated with his name.  He's just another body now. 

Cozens I like, but he's a baby and has a very long way to go; he's still learning every night.

My point is that we should not expect much of anything from any of these names 5 on 5.  Arguably the best of the group should be Hall, but he's here on a 1 year rental type situation and you can see his level of contribution.  It's not very good.

Our bottom 2 lines are total garbage. 

If you start to view this team as not nearly as good as you think they are, our position near the body of the NHL starts to make sense.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I don't know.  Hall has had a couple down years in a row and is nothing close to the #1 overall pick everyone thought he would be.

Olofsson is great on the PP, but nothing 5 on 5.

Skinner is being so poorly used, it is almost impossible for him to make contributions, and he doesn't as a result.

Staal is long past his prime.  Forget the positive things you think about him and which are associated with his name.  He's just another body now. 

Cozens I like, but he's a baby and has a very long way to go; he's still learning every night.

My point is that we should not expect much of anything from any of these names 5 on 5.  Arguably the best of the group should be Hall, but he's here on a 1 year rental type situation and you can see his level of contribution.  It's not very good.

Our bottom 2 lines are total garbage. 

If you start to view this team as not nearly as good as you think they are, our position near the body of the NHL starts to make sense.

A fall-off from a bunch of players at the same time is certainly possible. Although the fall-off from this entire group is so dramatic that it is a bit suspicious.

But it is possible, so I can see where you're coming from.

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

Don't forget Dahlin and Ristolainen are very good offensive defensmen. Not sure what RK plan is but he is neutering this offense, IMO a good coach shouldn't have to neuter something in order to make something else better. Liked the RK hire at first but he seems very stubborn and a guy forever trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

A fall-off from a bunch of players at the same time is certainly possible. Although the fall-off from this entire group is so dramatic that it is a bit suspicious.

But it is possible, so I can see where you're coming from.

Points of fact for the last 3 seasons:

Eric Staal:  81 GP, 22 G, 30 A, 52 Pts;  66 GP; 19 G, 28 A, 47 Pts;  17 GP, 3 G, 5 A, 8 Pts.

Taylor Hall:  33GP, 11 G, 26 A, 37 Pts;  65 GP, 16 G, 36 A, 52 Pts;  17 GP. 1 G, 11 A, 12 Pts

Jeff Skinner:  82 GP, 40 G, 23 A, 63 Pts;  59 GP, 14 G, 9 A, 23 Pts;  14 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 1 Pt

Sam Reinhart:  82 GP, 22 G, 43 A, 65 Pts;  69 GP, 22 G, 28 A, 50 Pts;  15 GP, 7 G, 7 A, 14 Pts

Jack Eichel:  77 GP, 28 G, 54 A, 82 Pts;  68 GP, 36 G, 42 A, 78 Pts;  16 GP, 2 G, 12 A, 14 Pts

Although there is not a statistically significant number of games yet this season, we do see a gain in points from Reinhart, small drops from Eichel, Hall, and Staal, and a fall off a cliff for Skinner.

Make of these numbers what you will.  Some advanced stats over the last 3 seasons would be interesting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.