Our Defensive Depth Is Very Good!

bob_sauve28

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Think you mean right siders. The NHL team has righties but the pool does not or at least not with the same potential. 

Bryson, Samuelsson, Johnson are all lefties. 

Laaksonen and Borgen are the only 2 righties I might think will be NHL guys. Also you have to add in that Dahlin is stapled to the left side while Jokiharju is clearly struggling. 

Dahlin - Bryson - Samuelsson - Johnson

Jokiharju - Borgen - Laaksonen

Good point, you are looking further down the road than I was.   Now that you mention it, I also wonder if we might lose another RH potentially to Seattle?

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:Goaltending

DR: Ullmark 6th rd 2012

TM: Johansson 3rd rd 2014

Jbot: UPL 2nd rd 2017 & Portillo 3rd rd 2018 UFA Hutton

KA: UFA Togarski 

I don’t understand why any NHL franchise wouldn’t draft a goaltender every single season. Makes no sense. Take a flyer for Christ’s sake!

4 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

The singular constant in all of those names is rightfully Kevin Devine, who's been involved in Sabres scouting and draft prep since 1998.

I remember seeing footage of him talking to GM Darcy about drafting Zadorov just before they made the pick.  Devine said something like "Do you want to be hard to play against" or something like that.  He was pushing for drafting Zadorov because of his size and aggression.  Darcy agreed on the video and the rest is history.

19 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I remember seeing footage of him talking to GM Darcy about drafting Zadorov just before they made the pick.  Devine said something like "Do you want to be hard to play against" or something like that.  He was pushing for drafting Zadorov because of his size and aggression.  Darcy agreed on the video and the rest is history.

That wasn’t really a bad pick.  Go look at the players drafted between 16-30 that year.  Only 3-4 of them are better than Zadorov.  Majority of them are not even NHL players.

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

That wasn’t really a bad pick.  Go look at the players drafted between 16-30 that year.  Only 3-4 of them are better than Zadorov.  Majority of them are not even NHL players.

I've always been a sucker for big mean defensemen who took care of business, so that draft (Risto and Zadorov) made me very happy at the time.  They did not play together for long, but seeing both of them on the ice together was still fun to see.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I'd like to see Tim Murray's forward acquisition list.

I have a strong suspicion we need to somehow get Botterill and Murray to have a "complete roster" love child.

Just a hunch......

It starts with Jack Eichel, Ryan O'Reilly, Sam Reinhart, Evander Kane and Victor Olofsson...which is pretty damn good.

Certainly better than Botterill bringing in Jacob Josefsson, Benoit Pouliot and Jordan Nolan.

I still wish Murray and Bylsma were given one more year to fix the defense.

27 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

It starts with Jack Eichel, Ryan O'Reilly, Sam Reinhart, Evander Kane and Victor Olofsson...which is pretty damn good.

Certainly better than Botterill bringing in Jacob Josefsson, Benoit Pouliot and Jordan Nolan.

I still wish Murray and Bylsma were given one more year to fix the defense.

Lol, he traded for Gorges, Kulikov and Bogo, brought in Franson plus added depth of Falk and Fedun.  

He traded away Myers, Zadorov, Pysyk and McNabb.

Those moves were him fixing the defense.  He created the slowest most over paid group in the NHL.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lol, he traded for Gorges, Kulikov and Bogo, brought in Franson plus added depth of Falk and Fedun.  

He traded away Myers, Zadorov, Pysyk and McNabb.

Those moves were him fixing the defense.  He created the slowest most over paid group in the NHL.  

Bogo won a cup last year and may win another this year.

• 2 months later...

I don't think the Defensive Depth is "very good" just that it's gotten back to normal or average and that seems 'very good" because it was a disaster when JBot arrived. So he gets some credit for that.

Lots of young players so plenty of potential upside. It COULD mean in a year or two (maybe three) our D is very good but a lot of things still have to go right. If I was in charge I would still keep adding to the pipeline every draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.