Laaksonen - 3rd rd (89th) 2017

Samuelsson - 2nd rd (32nd) 2018

Johnson - 1st rd (31st) 2019

Kevyn Adams

Irwin - UFA

Davidson - UFA

I hope that answers the question.

• Like (+1) 2

Does that mean that we could actually go 3 pairs deep next season -- even if we lost one of the top few to Seattle?  McCabe-Ristolainen, Dahlin-Borgen, Bryson-Jokiharu, Samuelsson-Miller, Pilut-Laaksonen, Davidson.  (Assumes neither Miller nor Montour are here next season.)  There have to be at least 3 NHL-quality pairs in there somewhere.  At last, erm, At least we could competently exit the D-zone with possession.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
expected roster turnover on D
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is our D and where they came from

Darcy Regier

McCabe - 2nd rd (44th) 2012

Ristolainen - 1st (8th) 2013

Tim Murray 

Borgen - 4th rd (92nd) 2015

Jason Botterill

Jokiharju - Trade for Nylander

Miller - Trade

Montour - Trade

Dahlin - Draft 1st overall 2018

Bryson - 4th rd (99th) 2017

Kevyn Adams

Irwin - UFA

Davidson - UFA

I'd like to see Tim Murray's forward acquisition list.

I have a strong suspicion we need to somehow get Botterill and Murray to have a "complete roster" love child.

Just a hunch......

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Darcy Regier

Tim Murray 

Jason Botterill

Miller - Trade

Montour - Trade

Kevyn Adams

Irwin - UFA

Davidson - UFA

If we are talking current NHL depth we can’t really IMO count Johnson, Samuelsson, Laaksonen, as they haven’t played an NHL game. Bryson 1 game a tad pre mature. Looking promising though - can only go up for Botterill. 

I’ll give Botterill the nod but funnily enough Regier has an argument if the roster was healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I also take Borgen over everyone on Botterill’s list save Dahlin 

Maybe Ryan Johnson actually 

Samuelsson and Laaksonen should be Sabres by 2023 and possibly 2022 if they continue on their trajectory.  Both look better than Miller, Joki and Irwin.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Samuelsson and Laaksonen should be Sabres by 2023 and possibly 2022 if they continue on their trajectory.  Both look better than Miller, Joki and Irwin.  

I’ve read a lot about Laaksonnen taking steps back, actually. Last I heard he was trending the other way but maybe I missed a bounce back. 

Not sold on Samuelsson yet relative to Borgen. I like Borgen’s fit with Dahlin - that’s a component to me. 

I do think I’d go with Ryan Johnson but Botterill had to expend a 1st and Murray only a 4th for Borgen and that deserves mention too. 

But the thread is more about who contributed more and between Botterill and Murray it’s not a question. But as mentioned, Murray was more forwards focused and also, realistically, Botterill came *after* and is the more recent GM, it makes sense he’d have far more active fingerprints on the roster. 

That Darcy has a couple big names still stands out. 

Edited by Thorny

Few thoughts....first we don't have a balanced LH vs. RH pool...not enough left siders.   Second, I never liked the Montour trade...we gave up too much to get him.  Last, we lost some good talent via various deals (ex. Zadorov via trade, McNabb via trade, maybe some others that left who are still in the league (Kulikov, Pysyk).  Point is that we have some that I wish we didn't have and some that I wish we still did.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Few thoughts....first we don't have a balanced LH vs. RH pool...not enough left siders.   Second, I never liked the Montour trade...we gave up too much to get him.  Last, we lost some good talent via various deals (ex. Zadorov via trade, McNabb via trade, maybe some others that left who are still in the league (Kulikov, Pysyk).  Point is that we have some that I wish we didn't have and some that I wish we still did.

We do need to start filling in the LHD in the pipeline over the next few years as well.  For the moment, forward depth and consistent goaltending have to be our priorities.

Bryson is not an NHL defenseman, sorry to spoil the party, but he's not.    

Ryan Johnson is a much better prospect.     Jury is still out on Borgen, he's still young.     

Lots of guys look good their first week or two... the real test is consistency.     We just don't know yet on a lot of these guys.

20 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Bryson is not an NHL defenseman, sorry to spoil the party, but he's not.    

Ryan Johnson is a much better prospect.     Jury is still out on Borgen, he's still young.     

Lots of guys look good their first week or two... the real test is consistency.     We just don't know yet on a lot of these guys.

As someone who has watched 90% of Bryson’s games since he turned pro, I can’t remember a dman improving as much as he has.  If Jokiharju can play in the league, so can Jakob.  

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Think you mean right siders. The NHL team has righties but the pool does not or at least not with the same potential. 

Bryson, Samuelsson, Johnson are all lefties. 

Laaksonen and Borgen are the only 2 righties I might think will be NHL guys. Also you have to add in that Dahlin is stapled to the left side while Jokiharju is clearly struggling. 

Dahlin - Bryson - Samuelsson - Johnson

Jokiharju - Borgen - Laaksonen

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I’ve read a lot about Laaksonnen taking steps back, actually. Last I heard he was trending the other way but maybe I missed a bounce back. 

Not sold on Samuelsson yet relative to Borgen. I like Borgen’s fit with Dahlin - that’s a component to me. 

I do think I’d go with Ryan Johnson but Botterill had to expend a 1st and Murray only a 4th for Borgen and that deserves mention too. 

But the thread is more about who contributed more and between Botterill and Murray it’s not a question. But as mentioned, Murray was more forwards focused and also, realistically, Botterill came *after* and is the more recent GM, it makes sense he’d have far more active fingerprints on the roster. 

That Darcy has a couple big names still stands out. 

Laaksonen had a bad year last season.  He has been much better this season both in Liiga and AHL.

I’ve also been skeptical of Samuelsson.  Supposedly his skating looks good in the AHL.  That makes me more optimistic.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Laaksonen had a bad year last season.  He has been much better this season both in Liiga and AHL.

I’ve also been skeptical of Samuelsson.  Supposedly his skating looks good in the AHL.  That makes me more optimistic.

I’d say his skating is above average especially for a guy his size.  I don’t foresee it being an issue. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I'd like to see Tim Murray's forward acquisition list.

I have a strong suspicion we need to somehow get Botterill and Murray to have a "complete roster" love child.

Just a hunch......

On the current Sabres/Amerks?

Forwards

TM Draftees - Reinhart, Eichel, Olofsson and Asplund.  UFAs - KO

JBot Draftees - Cozens, and Mittelstadt w prospects Weisbach, Pekar and possibly Huglen, Rousek and Davidsson (although these are long shots IMHO).   FAs Lazar and Routsalainen (prospect) Trades: Thompson and Skinner

KA: Draftees:  prospects Quinn and JJP.  Trades: Staal UFAs: Hall, Rieder, Sheahan and Eakin

DR: Girgensons (IR)

Goaltending

DR: Ullmark 6th rd 2012

TM: Johansson 3rd rd 2014

Jbot: UPL 2nd rd 2017 & Portillo 3rd rd 2018 UFA Hutton

KA: UFA Togarski 

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

On the current Sabres/Amerks?

Forwards

TM Draftees - Reinhart, Eichel, Olofsson and Asplund.  UFAs - KO

JBot Draftees - Cozens, and Mittelstadt w prospects Weisbach, Pekar and possibly Huglen, Rousek and Davidsson (although these are long shots IMHO).   FAs Lazar and Routsalainen (prospect) Trades: Thompson and Skinner

KA: Draftees:  prospects Quinn and JJP.  Trades: Staal UFAs: Hall, Rieder, Sheahan and Eakin

DR: Girgensons (IR)

Goaltending

DR: Ullmark 6th rd 2012

TM: Johansson 3rd rd 2014

Jbot: UPL 2nd rd 2017 & Portillo 3rd rd 2018 UFA Hutton

KA: UFA Togarski 

You left out TM's trades. Why?

Edit: ah never mind, you said on the current Sabres/amerks.

But this current roster isnt really the full story.

Edited by Scottysabres

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Darcy Regier

Tim Murray 

Jason Botterill

Miller - Trade

Montour - Trade

Kevyn Adams

Irwin - UFA

Davidson - UFA

The singular constant in all of those names is rightfully Kevin Devine, who's been involved in Sabres scouting and draft prep since 1998.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.