Hockey Gods

pi2000

I honestly can’t believe I didn’t remember this thread until just now.

Ironically enough, I revived a dying bat tonight. I’m totally serious.

When I showed up at my buddies house to watch the game (I’m in NJ and don’t have cable), he was at the door and there was a bat on the sidewalk. It was flying around in his house and he had just stunned it trying to get it out.

Three hours later as I was leaving, it was still there and not doing well. I asked him for a box or something and I would take it,... “meh, somethin’ll get it.”

I walk to my truck and turn the key,... then turn it off. Screw that. I’m either going to end him quick or try to help him. So I got a plastic cup and a shovel, collect the bat and head home. I held the cup to the heater the whole way home (only about 10 minutes.) Nothin’. Leave the truck running with the warm air blowing on him for another 10 minutes in the driveway. Nothin’.

And then he starts scratching at the cup. I get out of the truck and fling the cup in the air. Away he flew.

I’ve done my part.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2021 at 10:52 PM, SwampD said:

I honestly can’t believe I didn’t remember this thread until just now.

Ironically enough, I revived a dying bat tonight. I’m totally serious.

When I showed up at my buddies house to watch the game (I’m in NJ and don’t have cable), he was at the door and there was a bat on the sidewalk. It was flying around in his house and he had just stunned it trying to get it out.

Three hours later as I was leaving, it was still there and not doing well. I asked him for a box or something and I would take it,... “meh, somethin’ll get it.”

I walk to my truck and turn the key,... then turn it off. Screw that. I’m either going to end him quick or try to help him. So I got a plastic cup and a shovel, collect the bat and head home. I held the cup to the heater the whole way home (only about 10 minutes.) Nothin’. Leave the truck running with the warm air blowing on him for another 10 minutes in the driveway. Nothin’.

And then he starts scratching at the cup. I get out of the truck and fling the cup in the air. Away he flew.

I’ve done my part.

Good man, but I think it only counts if you eat the bat.  

• Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The hockey Gods were mad at the Sabres far before the tank. 

Jay McKees injury? This might stem from Rigas. Maybe even earlier. 

I think it is very simple.....the hockey gods got pissed off when Pegula & Company had the audacity to declare Buffalo as hockey "Heaven".  The Gods took offense then and have cursed this team ever since.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I think it is very simple.....the hockey gods got pissed off when Pegula & Company had the audacity to declare Buffalo as hockey "Heaven".  The Gods took offense then and have cursed this team ever since.

I disagree. The Gods were mad far before that.

See: McKee injury and Brett Hull illegal goal. 

If you REALLY wanted to speculate, I think it’s something the Bills did to anger the football Gods, that those Gods passed over to the hockey Gods. 

Obviously, Tampa Bay of all cities has some good JuJu with the sports Gods somehow. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

3 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I disagree. The Gods were mad far before that.

See: McKee injury and Brett Hull illegal goal. 

Perhaps, but at least we were blessed with seeing some really high quality hockey in Buffalo back then.  The Gods gave us something to be thankful for....admittedly tearing our hearts out in the process.  Now, the Gods are teaching us a very painful lesson of humility with an extended penance.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Perhaps, but at least we were blessed with seeing some really high quality hockey in Buffalo back then.  The Gods gave us something to be thankful for....admittedly tearing our hearts out in the process.  Now, the Gods are teaching us a very painful lesson of humility with an extended penance.

I still disagree. The Gods can be angry at the teams for whatever they did, but I’m just a peon of a fan. Don’t punish me. I wasn’t part of whatever the rich people decided to do. 

BUF even strength shooting pcnt is currently 5.26%.

That's the worst EV sh% going back at least the past 13 years... worse than any 2014-15 tank team.  

Their scoring chance shooting % is 8.42% (historically league average is around 13%).    PHI is currently >22%.  

I'm not sure how else to explain this other than they're cursed.    

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 6:47 PM, pi2000 said:

A 2 week interruption due to a covid outbreak.

Top pairing Risto and McCabe having career years, one out indefinitely with long haul COVID symptoms, the other a season ending knee injury.

Borgen, a shining light in an otherwise dark season, suffers a broken arm.

Eichel possessed by the spirit of Ville Lieno.

Microscopic shooting % (historically low at even strength).

Goal post after goal post after goal post.

What can we do to appease the gods?   Burnt offering?  Blood sacrifice?   

Something needs to be done. 

I always thought sending Tasker over the falls in a barrel might appease the football Gods.

Hockey?  How about hanging Rob Ray upside down by his little toe until he cries or his toe falls off?

I'm just saying...

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I always thought sending Tasker over the falls in a barrel might appease the football Gods.

Hockey?  How about hanging Rob Ray upside down by his little toe until he cries or his toe falls off?

I'm just saying...

No, you're right. I wouldn't mind that atoll.  Perhaps we hang him upside down and send him acrost the Falls on a wire and see what happens?  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LTS said:

No, you're right. I wouldn't mind that atoll.  Perhaps we hang him upside down and send him acrost the Falls on a wire and see what happens?  

I like it,

Sacrificing Hutton to the hockey Gods in some way, shape or form would also be most advantageous to all concerned,

Well, besides Hutton, but hey, he can take one for the team. Lord only knows he's let enough pucks slip by to be so deserving of such an honor bestowed upon him.

(although they might spit him back and become even more angry)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.