10 years ago today(Pegula era begins)...

LabattBlue

• LabattBlue changed the title to 10 years ago today(Pegula era begins)...

A serious of misfortunate events. I’ve always given Pegula a pass. We can sit here and look back in hindsight of all the bad mistakes that were made but at the end of the day, I have to imagine that it’s not easy running a professional sports team. The biggest blunder to me has to be the LaFontaine bungle. That’s something that still can be and needs to be fixed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Terry boldly announces that he not only doesn't know what Twitter is, but he is totally computer illiterate.

And then he fires general managers for "not knowing how to communicate".   🙄

And who knew that he had so many children, some of them "huge" Sabres fans?  I've only heard about the tennis player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

A serious of misfortunate events. I’ve always given Pegula a pass. We can sit here and look back in hindsight of all the bad mistakes that were made but at the end of the day, I have to imagine that it’s not easy running a professional sports team. The biggest blunder to me has to be the LaFontaine bungle. That’s something that still can be and needs to be fixed

Absolutely. Which is why an owner shouldn't be "running" anything without the hockey chops necessary to do so.

49 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

Terry boldly announces that he not only doesn't know what Twitter is, but he is totally computer illiterate.

And who knew that he had so many children, some of them "huge" Sabres fans?  I've only heard about the tennis player.

When asked how long he intended to own the team, Terry motioned toward his children in the front row and said something like, "You're looking at the answer right here." (Very unsure of the wording, but that was the gist of it.) Two of his kids were adults then and are now 10 years older. Let's go.

How did it get here?

By choosing Murray over LaFontaine.

By not listening to or utilizing alumni properly (and even alienating  some of them).

By choosing inexperienced people to run the franchise (based on some sort of idea about a new era and new ideas over old) rather than experienced hockey people.

By (the owners) thinking they know how to win and succeed in hockey better than hockey people do.

By embracing a superstar model for success (top down) rather than a bottom up model that builds on hard work and effort. 

By not understanding the city and fanbase and their working class views. 

That's enough.

MAYBE, given that the Bills have now had success building on a tough hard work model they will finally get it and go a similar route. One can only hope. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

I recall one of his daughters being the big Sabres fan.

As you'll recall, early into Pegula's ownership, she developed a habit of leaking inside information out of the organization via social media and they quickly shut her up.

Haven't really heard much about her since.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

That is a very depressing list of team stats.  😞

It succinctly shows what we have all felt for a very long time now.

The team isn't just bad, they are completely irrelevant.

When was the last meaningful game the Sabres played, in which we were trying to WIN (and not lose for draft position)?

It would probably have to be some time towards the end of Lindy Ruff's career as HC.

That was a while ago! 

4 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Worst decade in Sabres history.  And counting.

If the sabres miss the playoffs this year (likely), it will be 10 full seasons and 10 missed playoffs for Pegula as owner)

The franchise has only missed the playoffs 11 other times in the teams history Before Pegula, dating back to 1970.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Whenever I think about the Pegula era, I think about how half the teams make the playoffs each year, and wonder how the heck have they missed the playoffs the last 10 years.  You would think luck enough would allow you to make it once in 10 years.  

From a strictly basic statistical model, the odds of any one team, who has a 50% chance each year to make the playoffs....missing it for 10 straight years is about 1 in 1024 odds....yet it looks like the Sabres are going to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s hard for me to continue on like this. I stopped writing for DBTB a couple years ago because it got old writing about how bad this team was. I gave up seasons years before that because of how bad they were. Now I’m perilously close to giving up Fubo and not watching at all. 

The Sabres are important to me, but I’m ready to check out. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2021 at 2:56 PM, Kruppstahl said:

I recall one of his daughters being the big Sabres fan.

As you'll recall, early into Pegula's ownership, she developed a habit of leaking inside information out of the organization via social media and they quickly shut her up.

Haven't really heard much about her since.

Based on the times when I and others I know have spoken with them at the KBC, the daughters are bigger fans than their parents.  The eldest said explicitly to me that she hopes the Pegulas were a dynastic ownership of generations of Cup winners with the Buffalo Sabres.  There are times when I think they want to win a little *too* badly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.