OT: 1971, M-371 Bobcat refurb.

Scottysabres

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so if it's in the wrong forum, my apologies.

I picked up a 1971 M-371 Bobcat recently for $2,500, could not pass that up. Has a single piston 14hp motor. It runs, but I'm looking for a complete refurb on it, sandblasting, repaint, rebuilt hydraulic piston arms, new Predator engine install, new hydraulic lines and tires.

Is anyone aware of a shop in the WNY area that'll take on a task such as this?

Any input much appreciated, and thanks.

Something like this?  This is a cool acquisition, though I'm not sure what I would do with such a machine.

The refurbishing you speak of would be part of the fun of the purchase for me--but I realize there are limits to what you can probably do on your own.

I have no idea who would help you in the WNY area, but I would talk to some of the automotive refurbishment guys.  If they are experienced at taking things apart and sandblasting a car or bike or something like that, they can probably do the same with the Bobcat, for example.

_ON-mphu0iiaAxCsyN1TFUtti4SFF7NLLE7mPKW5

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Something like this?  This is a cool acquisition, though I'm not sure what I would do with such a machine.

The refurbishing you speak of would be part of the fun of the purchase for me--but I realize there are limits to what you can probably do on your own.

I have no idea who would help you in the WNY area, but I would talk to some of the automotive refurbishment guys.  If they are experienced at taking things apart and sandblasting a car or bike or something like that, they can probably do the same with the Bobcat, for example.

_ON-mphu0iiaAxCsyN1TFUtti4SFF7NLLE7mPKW5

Yea, I've been all over online. Caught the YouTube video of the guy in Maine that had one refurbished.

Called Bobcat of Buffalo, they even sent their guy to the house, he destroyed my brand new carb. I just replaced it 😞

called Anderson equip., RB U-REN, and several others in heavy equip locally, no go.

I've already used her, but the refurb is needed. Thanks for responding and sharing though. I thought of doing it myself, I've already replaced a bunch of electrical and starter parts. Points, coil, plug, new cables, new throttle cable, solenoid, battery. I can have the rear arm hydraulic lines, but I'd really like her all pulled apart, sand blasted, repainted, new ring seals in arms and so on.

19 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Yea, I've been all over online. Caught the YouTube video of the guy in Maine that had one refurbished.

Called Bobcat of Buffalo, they even sent their guy to the house, he destroyed my brand new carb. I just replaced it 😞

called Anderson equip., RB U-REN, and several others in heavy equip locally, no go.

I've already used her, but the refurb is needed. Thanks for responding and sharing though. I thought of doing it myself, I've already replaced a bunch of electrical and starter parts. Points, coil, plug, new cables, new throttle cable, solenoid, battery. I can have the rear arm hydraulic lines, but I'd really like her all pulled apart, sand blasted, repainted, new ring seals in arms and so on.

Not sure if there is a big enough market out there for someone to run a full business refurbing old machinery.

Usually a full refurb like you are talking about is done for a collector and i don't think many people have collections of old machinery outside of antiques & tractors.

best bet would be to find an autoshop that needs some more work and see if they would be interested.

Most people with equipment like that just repair whats broken and keep running it until they can't be run anymore, those who are wanting to refurb them are typically guys who will do it themselves.

If the repair shops won't do full refurbs and don't know of anyone that will, its likely you may have to find someone privately that may want to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.