'Voice' your opinion

PASabreFan

What voice associated with Sabres hockey annoys you the most?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What voice associated with Sabres hockey annoys you the most?

• Brian Duff
    • Marty Biron
    • Brian Koziol
    • Doug Allen
    • Jay Moran (PA announcer)
    • Rob Ray
    • Dan Dunleavy
    • Broadcast voice-over dude
    • Andrew Peters
    • Craig Rivet
    • DJ Kool

based on the sample size of my family I was expecting more votes for Marty lol. I am surprised on the hate for Dunleavy, certainly he is not RJ in his prime. But I think he is ok compared to others around the league.

I voted Doug, I just don't like his singing of the anthems. If I am being honest it is possible I am just sick of anthems before sports games. Thou I do still like hearing O Canada.

Also I didn't realize until after I voted that that the Sabres goal song was listed. My hate of that exceeds my dislike of Doug. So 1a is DJ Kool and 1b is Doug

7 hours ago, Billznut said:

Definitely an all of the above option should have been listed for this poll. So hard to limit this to one choice. 
I chose Dunleavy because that is the voice we hear the most and I’ve never thought much of his talent. Anyone following RJ would have an uphill climb in this town, but I really really wish the Sabres would look at a new play by play man when RJ retires for good. But I know it’s already a done deal that Dunleavy has the job. 

I read something on Dan(might have been wiki) that he has turned down other job offers I’m recent years.  That guarantees the full time gig is his when RJ retires.  That sucks. 😡

2 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

Gurtler was the absolute worst!  He was the main reason the Sabres decided to switch RJ from radio to the television broadcasts!!

I have a question about this person. 

I have a memory from the mid 90s, I was in middle school and without cable would listen to the radio broadcasts of the hockey games on AM radio (I was really cool). And I recall it being someone other than RJ,  that the RJ tv broadcast would be available on FM - but someone else had the call for radio only.

None of my friends or acquaintances have any memory of this, I believe because they all had cable and could just watch the games on tv, but I also cannot find anything on the internet referencing a different broadcast either. Does anyone remember this? Am I making this up? Is this "Gurtler" person the guy who would have had that call? Mandela effect?

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

I have a question about this person. 

I have a memory from the mid 90s, I was in middle school and without cable would listen to the radio broadcasts of the hockey games on AM radio (I was really cool). And I recall it being someone other than RJ,  that the RJ tv broadcast would be available on FM - but someone else had the call for radio only.

None of my friends or acquaintances have any memory of this, I believe because they all had cable and could just watch the games on tv, but I also cannot find anything on the internet referencing a different broadcast either. Does anyone remember this? Am I making this up? Is this "Gurtler" person the guy who would have had that call? Mandela effect?

Pete Weber. He called games on radio in 95-96 and 96-97. He's a terrific broadcaster and went on to do Predators games. I recall Pete saying, with a standing ovation ongoing before the final faceoff at the Aud, "This is the Aud the way everyone will remember it." Chills. He also had an awesome call of Plante's OT winner in '97.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

DJ Kool.  I have hated the goal song ever since it was announced, when most of this board was high on it.

I agree, that was my vote as well.

Didn't like it from the start, and it has been around through so many bad years and really nothing good with this team, it should be changed soon.

Maybe you don't make the change until this team starts winning though...

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree, that was my vote as well.

Didn't like it from the start, and it has been around through so many bad years and really nothing good with this team, it should be changed soon.

Maybe you don't make the change until this team starts winning though...

No no no.  Can’t be changed.  Kym has to show the stupid fan base how she is a leader in diversification by having a rap song(and a black rapper) as the teams goal song.

Kym = Smart & Fans = Stupid. 

She is such an awesome team president.    😤

On 2/21/2021 at 4:55 AM, LaPerreausek said:

John Gurtler 

15 hours ago, John Tucker said:

Gurtler was the absolute worst!  He was the main reason the Sabres decided to switch RJ from radio to the television broadcasts!!

Anyone at this forum who is too young to know John Gurtler, consider yourself fortunate.

One of the worst play by play guys at the NHL level, probably in history.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Anyone at this forum who is too young to know John Gurtler, consider yourself fortunate.

One of the worst play by play guys at the NHL level, probably in history.

Gurtler still does play by play of Buffalo Bandits games if anyone has a yearning to hear his god awful voice again. Lol 

22 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Pete Weber. He called games on radio in 95-96 and 96-97. He's a terrific broadcaster and went on to do Predators games. I recall Pete saying, with a standing ovation ongoing before the final faceoff at the Aud, "This is the Aud the way everyone will remember it." Chills. He also had an awesome call of Plante's OT winner in '97.

I remember that Weber called the games for a short time back then, but what was RJ doing?  I thought he solely had the call for radio broadcasts.

12 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

I remember that Weber called the games for a short time back then, but what was RJ doing?  I thought he solely had the call for radio broadcasts.

Rick had moved to TV. The Sabres didn't do the simulcast for those two seasons (95-96 and 96-97), although Lanny remembers Rick's TV call being available on FM radio. A Wikipedia page has Pete calling the games on WWKB-AM in 95-96 and then on WHTT-FM in 96-97.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Sabres_broadcasters

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Rick had moved to TV. The Sabres didn't do the simulcast for those two seasons (95-96 and 96-97), although Lanny remembers Rick's TV call being available on FM radio. A Wikipedia page has Pete calling the games on WWKB-AM in 95-96 and then on WHTT-FM in 96-97.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Sabres_broadcasters

I wonder how many NHL teams have separate radio and tv broadcast?  I wouldn't think this would be any issue with Mr. Drill A Well(if I need more money).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.