Mental????

Radar

https://apnews.com/article/nhl-ralph-krueger-buffalo-archive-buffalo-sabres-1e2b5990708adc8eafa24bb66722938e

“One of my biggest takes out of that game yesterday was the fragile psychological state of the team right now,” Krueger bluntly said Friday, a day after a 3-1 loss at Washington.

“They’re fragile right now. They don’t believe in themselves and they don’t see themselves celebrating.” he added. “They see themselves missing the net, hitting the shaft of the goalie, not finding the hole between the legs that they usually find.”

We're right back to Ryan Miller proclaiming that the team is a collection of fragile little kids again.

• Like (+1) 4

I don't expect The Instigators to understand sports psychology.  In fact, I don't expect Peters to be able to add his uniform numbers together and come up with anything other than 15,* or maybe he just refuses to add and comes up with 76.  Rivet, I do think, could do basic addition.  

I do know that for the first time I've heard, Marty Biron had some strong words for the team.  He's not a believer anymore.  Perhaps he realizes that he's got a better future at RDS than he does with MSG/WGR.  (He'd likely be correct.)

Now, to the point.  If Kruger thinks the problem is mental, then he needs to fix the problem.  The whole point in hiring him was that he is supposedly some Svengali motivator, right?  So if he can't do his Mesmer act, then what's the point of having him here?  Certainly, it isn't because he can put lines together or evaluate defensemen.  

*Yes, it's wrong; that's the point.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't expect The Instigators to understand sports psychology.  In fact, I don't expect Peters to be able to add his uniform numbers together and come up with anything other than 15,* or maybe he just refuses to add and comes up with 76.  Rivet, I do think could do basic addition.  

I do know that for the first time I've heard, Marty Biron had some strong words for the team.  He's not a believer anymore.  Perhaps he realizes that he's got a better future at RDS than he does with MSG/WGR.  (He'd likely be correct.)

Now, to the point.  If Kruger thinks the problem is mental, then he needs to fix the problem.  The whole point in hiring him was that he is supposedly some Svengali motivator, right?  So if he can't do his Mesmer act, then what's the point of having him here?  Certainly, it isn't because he can put lines together or evaluate defensemen.  

*Yes, it's wrong; that's the point.

2006197667_Nolan7RESIZED(1).thumb.jpg.b5aadcd85f44941d6fe75c1aa67a5eba.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sports, like life, requires confidence to succeed.  They do play like my 6 year old before he learned how to swim.  He was deathly afraid of going under water.  Then he did it (3 days ago).  Now he’s practically a fish.  

These guys need something to push them over the ledge.  I’d personally make a couple of roster moves that would shake them up.  Trade a vet, waive another.  Get busy living or get busy dying. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Sports, like life, requires confidence to succeed.  They do play like my 6 year old before he learned how to swim.  He was deathly afraid of going under water.  Then he did it (3 days ago).  Now he’s practically a fish.  

These guys need something to push them over the ledge.  I’d personally make a couple of roster moves that would shake them up.  Trade a vet, waive another.  Get busy living or get busy dying. 

Biron today (I am paraphrasing):  Just wreck it and rebuild again.  It's been ten years, what's the difference if it's another two or three?

I am having a very hard time disagreeing.

• Like (+1) 6

Maybe Ralph "the motivator" also needs a pep talk too.  Maybe this guy is available...."We must begin by asking it…”What is losing?”  Losing is a disease…as contagious as polio.  Losing is a disease…as contagious as syphilis. Losing is a disease…as contagious as bubonic plague... attacking one…but infecting all.  But curable.”

image.png.f6d72791a3205e487cd2960319d5b4b9.png

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

https://apnews.com/article/nhl-ralph-krueger-buffalo-archive-buffalo-sabres-1e2b5990708adc8eafa24bb66722938e

We're right back to Ryan Miller proclaiming that the team is a collection of fragile little kids again.

Yup. Cause really we have not left it. It's been that way for a decade and still is. 

Maybe RFK needs to take the boys out on a little boat excursion.  Seemed to work for R.P. McMurphy.  Billy Babbit, Martini, Tabor, and the rest of the boys came back to the asylum with a renewed energy. 

Although, it could result in Charlie Cheswick telling Kim, errrr Nurse Ratched

“Rules?! Piss on your ***** rules, Nurse Ratched”

AF8C25C2-7FEB-42E6-B8F5-72C26B840D7E.thumb.jpeg.4e6660bd5862fa71fd3c4b299dd7c952.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

Biron today (I am paraphrasing):  Just wreck it and rebuild again.  It's been ten years, what's the difference if it's another two or three?

Any use of “rebuild” is a bad omen. If we allow them a grace period, they’ll willingly take it. 

Any liquidation for picks is a colossal mistake 

• Like (+1) 3

So I was thinking, if RK is saying the problem with the team is mental, isn't that an admission of failure on his part?  I mean wasn't that the whole sales pitch on him that he would build them up psychologically and get them believing in themselves yadda yadda...............so I guess he's asking them to fire him. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So I was thinking, if RK is saying the problem with the team is mental, isn't that an admission of failure on his part?  I mean wasn't that the whole sales pitch on him that he would build them up psychologically and get them believing in themselves yadda yadda...............so I guess he's asking them to fire him. 

Fully agree.

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

Biron, whether I agree or not, at least I like. Rivet? Total waste and acts like his simple jock talk is profound. Peters the opposite of Rivet for me. Didn't care for him as a player but kind of like him on the Instigators. Like Rivet as a player... can't stand him on the Instigators.

Edited by Radar

“The problem is mental”.  What a dumb thing for a coach to tell the press. I’m sure the rest of the division will like this bit of information.  That comment really should stay in the locker room.  I don’t  get how a coach lets any notion of team confidence and self doubt out of that locker room.   

What would McDermott say after a loss. - “ It’s starts with me, I have to coach better, we have to prepare better, and work harder and earn the right to win”.   He may sound like a robot but he believes what he preaches.  
What would Allen say -“ I have to be better for my team.  I just have to work harder, I can’t have games like this, I can’t wait to get ready for the next game to put this behind us ...”

Every guy on that Bills team would talk about their accountability first, and then about getting better and their role and commitment to team.   This is what you hear from winning teams.  

Sabres players after a loss typically spew some stuff on how the played good a few  minutes, then something bad happened, then they fell apart.  Some pout and others clearly just accept losing.    When do any of these guys put it on themselves and doing anything about it   

I thought Ralph was supposed to be smart?  Is this comment some kind of reverse psychology that is meant to challenge them?  What happened to hard work, self respect, and playing the right way for the team?   Normally I’m a huge fan of stability.  If this comment does not lead to a change - meaning wins and intensity and hard play - I’m going to join the fire RK gang. 

Cant wait for football to start.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

“The problem is mental”.  What a dumb thing for a coach to tell the press. I’m sure the rest of the division will like this bit of information.  That really should stay in the locker room.    

I thought Ralph was supposed to be smart?  Unless this is some kind of reverse psychology to challenge them?  What happened to hard work, self respect, and playing the right way for the team?  

Cant wait for football to start.  

How dare you challenge a man of RK's superior intellect!  😉

image.thumb.png.699aae5177759fc7fb28dbd0f99644ee.png

• Like (+1) 1

Psychological.  They need to win a few in a row and not go on prolonged losing streaks before they can believe in themselves again.

IMHO, this goes back to GMJB bad-mouthing their winning streak after the 2017-8 TDL.  Some part of their subconsciously believes if that wasn't good enough, then nothing will be, so who cares?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Norcal said:

Mental health. Psyche. Culture. They all need work IMO but if these players can't handle a little coaching and tough love they shouldn't be professionals. The term professional doesn't just mean talented, it's the total package. 

I agree with you in principle, but I wonder if they're receiving "a little coaching and tough love" to begin with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.