Sabres' non-celebratory goal celebration vs. Caps

PASabreFan

No reaction from Olofsson. Half-hearted stick lifts by Eichel, Reinhart and Okposo. Then fist bumps with emotionless faces and milling around before the bench routine.

There's eight and a half ***** minutes left in the third. It's now a two-goal game. That reaction is what you see (and want to see) in the final moments.

My friends, this is so much worse than we think.

Totally heartless, not to mention cruel to the fans who are clinging to this barnacled yacht of privilege.

• Like (+1) 4

Honestly i dont know what else one could expect. Its been a trying start to the season (to understate it), you finally score to make it a 2 goal game & well, I wouldnt expect the boys to be going around like its Chariots of Fire or something. Of course we'd like to see more energy or passion out there, but surely theres bigger things to focus on than how high Olofsson's teammates lifted their sticks after a goal?

Dont mean for that to sound confrontational or anything, just saying haha

Regardless we need to have some success out there quick before the whole season implodes

17 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

Honestly i dont know what else one could expect. Its been a trying start to the season (to understate it), you finally score to make it a 2 goal game & well, I wouldnt expect the boys to be going around like its Chariots of Fire or something. Of course we'd like to see more energy or passion out there, but surely theres bigger things to focus on than how high Olofsson's teammates lifted their sticks after a goal?

Dont mean for that to sound confrontational or anything, just saying haha

Regardless we need to have some success out there quick before the whole season implodes

It was the definition of resignation. "OK, we lost 3-1. Whatever." Some of these guys are broken down hockey players at a pretty young age.

And, for the record, although they had a few chances after making it 3-1, the goal hardly, in the words of Harry Neale, "went to their legs." Was anyone surprised?

I guess my question back at you is whether you would have been bothered by a robust team celly? I'm sure many would have been offended somehow. I dunno, I just feel like we needed @SwampD out there to punch-celebrate everyone and scream, "***** YEAH, WE GOT THIS! RIGHT WHERE WE WANT 'EM, BOYS! 4-3 SABRES!"

A girl can dream.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's an interesting observation, PA.  I didn't watch last night so I cannot comment directly, but a lack of "OK, let's go get em now" out of what is supposed to be a young, energetic group is not good.  It sure sounds from your description like reservation.  That is troubling.

At least with the failed core we had a race to 9th.  There wasn't any reservation there, just not enough tools.

I think you're reading too much into it PA. It was business-like but they did celebrate. The little fist bump with Sam was fine.

What I thought was interesting was that, instead of looking for a pass, he just went straight to the middle of the ice and did it himself. It felt more like a "see, this is how you do it" kind of message being sent to his teammates...if we want to try to read between the lines...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think you're reading too much into it PA. It was business-like but they did celebrate. The little fist bump with Sam was fine.

What I thought was interesting was that, instead of looking for a pass, he just went straight to the middle of the ice and did it himself. It felt more like a "see, this is how you do it" kind of message being sent to his teammates...if we want to try to read between the lines...

Absolutely. I thought the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Absolutely. I thought the same thing.

Watch the Caps defender there. He immediately goes down with his stick to cover up the pass to Sam. Teams literally don't think the Sabres will go to the middle of the ice and shoot (because, well, they don't), and they're defending like it. Just total disrespect to give Olofsson that much space to shoot.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

No reaction from Olofsson. Half-hearted stick lifts by Eichel, Reinhart and Okposo. Then fist bumps with emotionless faces and milling around before the bench routine.

There's eight and a half ***** minutes left in the third. It's now a two-goal game. That reaction is what you see (and want to see) in the final moments.

Totally heartless, not to mention cruel to the fans who are clinging to this barnacled yacht of privilege.

I noticed this the moment the goal was scored as well.  It looked very normal to me, but as the type of goal that is scored making it 6-1 with 1:32 left on the clock.  You know, the goal that means nothing to the big picture and the players scoring it already know they have lost the game.

But as you point out, there was still some decent time left and the gap was 2.

My interpretation of it, as it happened, was that we were pretty solidly out-played 5 on 5 the whole night and it was simply the response of players knowing they were going to lose to a better team.

The first 5-7 minutes of the 1st period looked pretty good for us, but for the posts we kept hitting.  In reality, Washington came out very flat and needed some time to get their legs moving.  Once they did, they took over the game and pretty much controlled it thereafter.

We definitely would have benefitted from some better puck luck, but what's new?

I just made a comment in the other thread about "culture" being an issue in Buffalo.

My comments over there relate to your comments here with that half-hearted goal celebration.

The entire situation is now bad enough that I don't know how to fix it, or what approach makes the most sense.

I am past critiquing the celebrations.  It’s known around the league that this is not a team that plays with intensity, or emotion, or for one another.  Why that is I don’t know, but clearing out the longest tenured players is a solution and it is painful and it requires a talented and shrewd hockey mind.   Are RK and KA up to the task?   

It sure looks like we will end up a bottom 6 team, we will lose Hall (among others) at the trade deadline for picks and prospects, and watch Staal retire.   Then we start over with finding a 2C, a goalie, and more scoring, all while we ponder the salaries of Skinner and Okposso, and what to do with our superstars that aren’t very super - Eichel and Dahlin.   

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I noticed this the moment the goal was scored as well.  It looked very normal to me, but as the type of goal that is scored making it 6-1 with 1:32 left on the clock.  You know, the goal that means nothing to the big picture and the players scoring it already know they have lost the game.

But as you point out, there was still some decent time left and the gap was 2.

My interpretation of it, as it happened, was that we were pretty solidly out-played 5 on 5 the whole night and it was simply the response of players knowing they were going to lose to a better team.

The first 5-7 minutes of the 1st period looked pretty good for us, but for the posts we kept hitting.  In reality, Washington came out very flat and needed some time to get their legs moving.  Once they did, they took over the game and pretty much controlled it thereafter.

We definitely would have benefitted from some better puck luck, but what's new?

I just made a comment in the other thread about "culture" being an issue in Buffalo.

My comments over there relate to your comments here with that half-hearted goal celebration.

The entire situation is now bad enough that I don't know how to fix it, or what approach makes the most sense.

The problem with blaming the culture is this.  Culture is something you make, not something that makes you.  All they need to do is change themselves, or bring in different people - the right people, probably a combination of both.  

The Bills brought in guys (McDermott and Beane) that set a culture of team first, hard work, and winning.  They teach “Earn the right to win” and they teach continuous improvement (coming from within).  They got rid of people that did not fit (Darius, Watkins, etc,) and replaced them with players that do (White, Dawkins, Allen, Diggs, etc).  It’s not magic, it not the uniform, it’s not the building, its the people that represent the team from top to bottom.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I am past critiquing the celebrations.  It’s known around the league that this is not a team that plays with intensity, or emotion, or for one another.  Why that is I don’t know, but clearing out the longest tenured players is a solution and it is painful and it requires a talented and shrewd hockey mind.   Are RK and KA up to the task?   

It sure looks like we will end up a bottom 6 team, we will lose Hall (among others) at the trade deadline for picks and prospects, and watch Staal retire.   Then we start over with finding a 2C, a goalie, and more scoring, all while we ponder the salaries of Skinner and Okposso, and what to do with our superstars that aren’t very super - Eichel and Dahlin.   

Maybe Staal can pull a Vonte Davis (Bills) and retire in between periods.

20 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Could not agree more. This is a huge problem, but to be frank Victor never show much feelings when scoring, he always been like that and he dont like to "show off"

But yes, the lack of chemistry in this group of players is insane. And that is on the sh1tcoach him self, mr totally ***** useless Ralph Kreuger.

I want him gone and replaced by a real coach, will not happen though with pegulas and adams running the show.

Edited by MODO Hockey

5 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Could not agree more. This is a huge problem, but to be frank Victor never show much feelings when scoring, he always been like that and he dont like to "show off"

But yes, the lack of chemistry in this group of players is insane. And that is on the sh1tcoach him self, mr totally ***** useless Ralph Kreuger.

I want him gone and replaced by a real coach, will not happen though with pegulas and adams running the show.

Needs to happen though Modo. How long will this s shambles be allowed to continue. Ralph out. 

36 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

You forgot to say cupcake in this one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That guy who celebrates wildly in the end zone when he scores his team's first touchdown to make it 21-6 with 7 minutes left?  I usually make fun of him.

Nothing wrong with a businesslike fist-bump when you know there's still a lot of work to do.

I agree with the sentiment but as we have seen in the NFL, 21-6 is not daunting.  42-6 is more akin to what you are conveying. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

That guy who celebrates wildly in the end zone when he scores his team's first touchdown to make it 21-6 with 7 minutes left?  I usually make fun of him.

Nothing wrong with a businesslike fist-bump when you know there's still a lot of work to do.

I wasn't asking for Victor to reprise Risto's stick-twirling masterpiece then pay homage to Miro by miming making a phone call to his agent on an old-fashioned crank Tele Phone with the earpiece, followed by a monkey hump of the puck. My commentary was more about the overall team response, which was tepid, flaccid, outrageous.

RaKru to the Buffalo News: "One of my biggest takes out of that game yesterday was the fragile psychological state of the team right now..."

And to old Pal of SabreSpace Wawrow: "They’re fragile right now. They don’t believe in themselves and they don’t see themselves celebrating.” Coach was talking about how they can't imagine themselves scoring, only missing the net, hitting posts etc.

https://apnews.com/article/nhl-ralph-krueger-buffalo-archive-buffalo-sabres-1e2b5990708adc8eafa24bb66722938e

It's interesting comments like this came up. It makes me think I'm only half-baked.

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

RaKru to the Buffalo News: "One of my biggest takes out of that game yesterday was the fragile psychological state of the team right now..."

And to old Pal of SabreSpace Wawrow: "They’re fragile right now. They don’t believe in themselves and they don’t see themselves celebrating.” Coach was talking about how they can't imagine themselves scoring, only missing the net, hitting posts etc.

https://apnews.com/article/nhl-ralph-krueger-buffalo-archive-buffalo-sabres-1e2b5990708adc8eafa24bb66722938e

It's interesting comments like this came up. It makes me think I'm only half-baked.

There's a whole thread on it 

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.