How questionable is Rasmus Dahlin's executive functioning and how suspect is his work ethic?

PASabreFan

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I don’t know if it was here or somewhere else where I read that Dahlin never played defense before he was ~15. If that is true, how could he have been predicted to be the best defenseman drafted since Potvin?  Based on only playing the position for 3 years or so?

I know I’m being critical of him, but my expectations drop lower every time I watch him.  From thinking he will be a perennial Norris candidate and down the road HoF’er, to really good all-star, to good top pairing damn, to...

I don’t have a clue where his career is going...kind of like him skating from a dead stop...moving, but not going anywhere fast. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/five-questions-with-rasmus-dahlin/c-298865894

He says here that he played quite a bit of C until he was 13-14.  If I remember correctly, even before that he was playing D at times.

He’s looked a bit better lately. Interestingly, the fact he seems to have gone somewhat backwards since his objectively excellent (for a rookie) rookie season seems to be the greatest source of angst. Makes sense  - it is worrying. I have my doubts sometimes. 

I still come back to the fact that people said the same things about a guy like Hedman, probably the best D man in the league, at Dahlin’s age - in fact Dahlin is ahead of him. Of course it’s a lofty comparison, what gives it’s a helping of merit beyond draft analysis/hype is the fact we *did* see relative greatness year 1. 

So in terms of perception that first year is a bit of a double edged sword. If Dahlin has stagnated, maybe he ends up the Sam Reinhart of top picks. But there’s still plenty of evidence to suggest it could break the other way. 

So I guess I understand the doubt and worry but not those who have spoken with finality. 

20 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He is 20 years old.

20!!

He will be the best Dman since Potvin, at least.

I’m having serious  doubts.  

Dahlin is now 20 and has 2 years of experience.  He is not on any kind of pace to match the 17 goals and 54 points that Potvin had in his first year.   He needs 12 goals in this season to be on pace.  He needs one goal every 4 games.   Good luck. 

Different eras yes, Potvin also had 117 penalty minutes that year - great players prove they belong, he proved that as a rookie.   Just this year Dahlin took a punch in the mouth against Philly, he left the game with no response, and had then no response the next night against the same team.   Potvin would have responded immediately which is why Potvin became a leader and a difference maker right away.  

This is year 3 for Dahlin.  He is on pace for about 4 or 5 goals and he is not even a top 25 defenseman in the league.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I’m having serious  doubts.  

Dahlin is now 20 and has 2 years of experience.  He is not on any kind of pace to match the 17 goals and 54 points that Potvin had in his first year.   He needs 12 goals in this season to be on pace.  He needs one goal every 4 games.   Good luck. 

Different eras yes, Potvin also had 117 penalty minutes that year - great players prove they belong, he proved that as a rookie.   Just this year Dahlin took a punch in the mouth against Philly, he left the game with no response, and had then no response the next night against the same team.   Potvin would have responded immediately which is why Potvin became a leader and a difference maker right away.  

This is year 3 for Dahlin.  He is on pace for about 4 or 5 goals and he is not even a top 25 defenseman in the league.  

This is fair.

His rookie season, he was good (extremely good for an 18 yr old D).  Year two he struggled early and then really came on and played very well the rest of the season, improving statistically from year one.  Now in year 3 he has been pretty bad.

Im much less optimistic on him right now than I was before the season.  However, I also am trying to keep in mind that he is 20 and the whole team has struggled, so I don’t want to make any definitive declarations off of these just 13 games.  Trending down right now though.

51 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is fair.

His rookie season, he was good (extremely good for an 18 yr old D).  Year two he struggled early and then really came on and played very well the rest of the season, improving statistically from year one.  Now in year 3 he has been pretty bad.

Im much less optimistic on him right now than I was before the season.  However, I also am trying to keep in mind that he is 20 and the whole team has struggled, so I don’t want to make any definitive declarations off of these just 13 games.  Trending down right now though.

Agree.  Which is why I say  I have serious doubts.  To reach Potvin level, as some think he can, he needs to string together a few Norris Trophy’s and win a Cup.   There are many defenseman he needs to pass to get there. 

This article speaks volumes.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-top-players-top-20-defensemen/c-319546918

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Today's version of Dahlin was a good version

I don’t know. His play at the 10:00 minute mark in the third was a real head scratcher for me. What should have been a routine breakout turned into a puck battle for no reason. The puck goes to the end boards and with a guy right behind him, he peels off leaving it for two other Sabres who aren’t close enough to get it and the Devil gets it. Makes me wonder if they even talk on the ice.

58 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don’t know. His play at the 10:00 minute mark in the third was a real head scratcher for me. What should have been a routine breakout turned into a puck battle for no reason. The puck goes to the end boards and with a guy right behind him, he peels off leaving it for two other Sabres who aren’t close enough to get it and the Devil gets it. Makes me wonder if they even talk on the ice.

I mean, his overall game today was a step up from anything we've seen in the last several weeks I thought. Was it perfect, no.

I did think he played with a little more urgency and was much more active in the offensive zone though.

• Like (+1) 1

• PASabreFan changed the title to How questionable is Rasmus Dahlin's executive functioning and how suspect is his work ethic?
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.