How questionable is Rasmus Dahlin's executive functioning and how suspect is his work ethic?

PASabreFan

Watching part of the game again and he just tossed the puck away at center ice and wasn't seen again until he coasted into the picture in the high slot as the third goal was scored. It wasn't quite Ovechkin with a broken controller, but not far off. Staal, Olofsson and Thompson didn't cover themselves in glory, either, but Dahlin's effort was particularly woeful.

I don't care if he had no chance to prevent the goal; act like you care. What's with these trailing guys going into spectator mode? It's not like the chance they are watching is always going to be a goal or a definitive save. There are these things in hockey called rebounds.

Edited by PASabreFan

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Watching part of the game again and he just tossed the puck away at center ice and wasn't seen again until he coasted into the picture in the high slot as the third goal was scored. It wasn't quite Ovechkin with a broken controller, but not far off. Staal, Olofsson and Thompson didn't cover themselves in glory, either, but Dahlin's effort was particularly woeful.

I don't care if he had no chance to prevent the goal; act like you care. What's with these trailing guys going into spectator mode? It's not like chance up ahead is always going to be a goal or a definitive save. There are these things in hockey called rebounds.

no accountability, RK just gives them a comforting pat on the back and keeps sending them out there

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't care if he had no chance to prevent the goal; act like you care. What's with these trailing guys going into spectator mode? It's not like the chance they are watching is always going to be a goal or a definitive save. There are these things in hockey called rebounds.

If you dont have a team around you that pushes you and makes you wanna try harder every single game, a coach that gives you the tools you need to succeed then it does not matter how talanted you really are, it's gonna fail eventually. 

Look at Jack Eichle, he is so lost and BAD it huuuurts, give the little one a break. His 2nd season and he is 20, if we somehow succeed in recruiting a real good coach then you will see what you like to see. 

Cant expect Rasmus Dahlin to play elite when the whole organisation around him is trash deluxe.

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ve been questioning his on ice demeanor for some time. I consistently see him approach on ice situations as if he’s at practice and not an actual NHL game.  He lacks any urgency at all.  Watching him is disheartening as hell.  

You could really say this about at least half the team right now. I want to see more of Cozens. He’s really the only one I saw play with any enthusiasm 

58 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Look at Jack Eichle, he is so lost and BAD it huuuurts, give the little one a break. His 2nd season and he is 20, if we somehow succeed in recruiting a real good coach then you will see what you like to see. 

It’s his 3rd season.

1 hour ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Dahin was showing great strides under Housley, under Krueger Dahlin has been a complete disaster.

He made great strides over the course of his first season?

I don’t know if it was here or somewhere else where I read that Dahlin never played defense before he was ~15. If that is true, how could he have been predicted to be the best defenseman drafted since Potvin?  Based on only playing the position for 3 years or so?

I know I’m being critical of him, but my expectations drop lower every time I watch him.  From thinking he will be a perennial Norris candidate and down the road HoF’er, to really good all-star, to good top pairing damn, to...

I don’t have a clue where his career is going...kind of like him skating from a dead stop...moving, but not going anywhere fast. 

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He is 20 years old.

20!!

He will be the best Dman since Potvin, at least.

Just quoting so that this gem never disappears from the internet.  😂

If I’m wrong I’ll be more than happy to eat crow.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

First of all, the thread title made me laugh out loud, so thanks for that.

Dahlin's development, or lack thereof, is becoming alarming.

I think it is safe to say that already, he will *never* be in the discussion for Norris Trophy candidate.

He's just not that caliber of player.

Is there time for things to change?  Yes, he's still young...but I don't see it happening.

He's starting to remind me of Tyler Myers--we were all waiting for him to settle down and get back to the business of becoming elite.  At a certain point, you realized it was never going to happen.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I’ve been questioning his on ice demeanor for some time. I consistently see him approach on ice situations as if he’s at practice and not an actual NHL game.  He lacks any urgency at all.  Watching him is disheartening as hell.  

The lack of urgency is a huge problem for the entire team.  Paul Hamilton has been tuning into this lately and questioning Ralph about it in the post-game PCs.  Floating, "fly bys", literally coasting on your skates instead of taking strides, etc...

Staal was brought in as some sort of veteran voice in the locker room showing people how to be a pro.  Or at least I thought that was the plan.

Staal is as big a floater as any of them!  

This discussion segues into a much broader commentary about what the over-arching problem is.

I am not one to believe in "momentum" or "chemistry" or "culture" in sports.

Bad players do not perform as well as good players and when the players get better, we will win more.  That is sort of how I view it traditionally.

But who can argue that there is *no* culture problem in Buffalo?  It's like the unspoken word, once you get to Buffalo, is it's OK to give 7/10 and collect a pay check.  Guaranteed contracts have created this mess for the league.  But there it is.

I think we have seen that the new age coddling type of HC isn't the answer any more than the old school disciplinarian.

Of the two types, and if neither is going to work, I vote for the latter!  At least make these kids work hard for their millions.  

3 minutes ago, Kristian said:

They’re playing to get another coach fired.

I do agree that is the plan.  It has been the plan since around the time we drafted Reinhart!  

And the players are good at it!  They've gone through quite a few of them now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Dahin was showing great strides under Housley, under Krueger Dahlin has been a complete disaster.

That's true, because I think Housley had a hand in coaching the D. Now it's just Steve Smith I'd guess and I stick with what I've said before, he is useless and needs to go. Our D never seems to improve as a whole. They don't communicate with their partners well, they don't play disciplined and get caught out of position (especially Montour), the young guys don't correct bad habits, they are poorly developed and poorly coached.  

The problem with Dahlin imo is they focused too much on utilizing his offensive skills rather than developing his D game first. The exact opposite of how the Bruins (yes, I'm using the Bruins again, I know.......) developed McAvoy who is now their clear D leader and playing like a Norris candidate.  Dahlin needs a big step back and rebuild. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dahlin lacks NHL level explosiveness.    His top end speed also isn't very good.    He has no ability to make up ground on anybody who gets behind him.    However, his edge work is elite.     It's actually quite puzzling how he can be so good on his edges, but lack any explosiveness whatsoever.      Add the fact that he gained weight this offseason and he looks even more sluggish out there.     If I'm GM, I'm making sure he's doing explosive first step drills every single day after practice and in the gym.   

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Dahlin lacks NHL level explosiveness.    His top end speed also isn't very good.    He has no ability to make up ground on anybody who gets behind him.    However, his edge work is elite.     It's actually quite puzzling how he can be so good on his edges, but lack any explosiveness whatsoever.      Add the fact that he gained weight this offseason and he looks even more sluggish out there.     If I'm GM, I'm making sure he's doing explosive first step drills every single day after practice and in the gym.   

Agreed,  But it is sad when I was convinced we were finally getting a "generational" player.  He is not that. Only in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I agree with you. I think the biggest thing that Sabres management and fans need to realize is: Forget the generational talent talk with Dahlin. We need to answer can Dahlin be a legit top pairing defenseman in the NHL for years to come and produce say 50-60 point seasons, and not the 70-80 point seasons a lot of us dreamed about when Rasmus was drafted?

And also, when Rasmus needs to be signed this off-season, what is the term and years we should give?

I wouldn't give Dahlin 8 seasons, a 5 year bridge deal is the path I would choose.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges

He's still very young. Yes, he hasn't played well this season. Well, join the club! This whole team with maybe an exception is in his company. I still believe he has superior talent. Much more concerned with how he's coached as time goes on. That's true for the team as well.

1 hour ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I agree with you. I think the biggest thing that Sabres management and fans need to realize is: Forget the generational talent talk with Dahlin. We need to answer can Dahlin be a legit top pairing defenseman in the NHL for years to come and produce say 50-60 point seasons, and not the 70-80 point seasons a lot of us dreamed about when Rasmus was drafted?

And also, when Rasmus needs to be signed this off-season, what is the term and years we should give?

I wouldn't give Dahlin 8 seasons, a 5 year bridge deal is the path I would choose.

I don't think 5 years is considered a bridge deal, it's considered long term. 2 years is a bridge.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.