Rasmus Ristolainen Talks His Corona Virus Disease Course

Brawndo

THE TIMING COULD HAVE NOT BEEN WORSE. Rasmus Ristolainen, the Finnish star of Buffalo Sabers, who will play in the NHL for the eighth season, played hockey for the rest of his life at the end of January. After a long break, my own game slipped better than ever and the enjoyment of the sport was at its peak again, but everything stopped like a brick wall in early February. On February 2, Ristolainen's name appeared on the NHL's corona quarantine list. Ristolainen, 26, was one of the Sabers players diagnosed with a coronavirus infection. A torturous recovery period began, during which the Turku defender has occasionally visited the deep waters. - Yes, there have been all the possible symptoms. Sometimes there have been harsh conditions, but we are alive. What I've been talking with others around the league, anyone has not had the same conditions as I have because of this, Ristolainen says Ilta-Sanomat. - When the oxygen levels were measured from the finger, they had dropped quite badly. Anyway, he got tired all the time as soon as he did something. After a couple of days, the coronary symptoms had already gotten better, and I thought I was starting to get better from this, but after that came more chest pains and other symptoms.

Ristolainen was subjected to new examinations due to chest and heart pain. - Sometimes there were quite disturbed states of being. When there was chest pain, it felt like my heart was cracking as I walked up the stairs. A couple of evenings there were such conditions when I went to bed that I didn’t know if I woke up here anymore in the morning. That's when he thought that hopefully this wasn't here now, Ristolainen describes. The WHOLE SABRES team was quarantined in early February. The team returned to action on February 14, but without their number one defender. Ristolainen last played on January 31 against the New Jersey Devils. Prior to the Devils matches, the Sabers organization asked the NHL for more information on the health status of the Devils players, but the league refused to share the information further. At worst, more than half of the Devils players were on the quarantine list. - It's a pointless infection in the sense that the New Jersey team had infections before those games, but we were still put to play, Ristolainen says. Ristolainen does not want to anoint his situation, but admits that the timing is particularly difficult. After a year's break, it initially took a while to get fit, but after that Ristolainen got an excellent shot and shone as his team's number one defender. - If ever it comes corona, so of course it comes to such a stage, when I'm done with Momentum. There was a feeling that exactly whatever evening or match it was, it worked, there was a good feeling to play and there was a feeling that you can’t fail. That's what a hockey player always strives for. - I played against New Jersey in both games for 27 minutes and the playing felt good and I wasn’t tired at all and now it’s in this mess. When I return at some point, the early season and that momentum is no longer of any use at that point. In that sense, you have to start from a clean slate again, says Ristolainen.

NOW the worst coronary symptoms are behind us. Ristolainen went to the ice for the first time on Thursday to take a feel. - Now the situation is quite good. I got a clean bill of health from doctors, but I'm physically at the moment so weak that this is still a long way to get to playing condition. Little by little the built in game condition, but I still do not know when I'm back askissa. Ristolainen wants to use his own example to say that the coronavirus must be taken seriously. At its worst, it can hit a young, top-notch athlete in canvas for weeks, as happened to Ristolainen. - I have a whole league to get a fit and lifestyles are the last on the right, but still this disease can strike and wreck everything. People have asked about the return schedule a bit in the style that it was as if I had some flu. You don't have to play here for a moment now. This is a pretty serious disease, Ristolainen says. - The after-symptoms of Korona include getting tired all the time. Right now, I just sleep most of the time. I go to bed at eight in the evenings. After a 12-hour night’s sleep, I feel like I have slept for five minutes. I go to the hall during the day to sweat and come home to sleep. Not quite an ideal situation, but it doesn't help. Ristolainen does not dare to paint the exact return schedule yet. - If all goes well, you could probably think about returning somewhere next week, but let's look at it now. The team is currently on a guest trip. Now, it’s really a great situation for everyone to get into training and realize how bad the condition is right now. There is enough to do, Ristolainen announces.

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Rasmus Ristolainen Talks His Corona Virus Disease Course

This is nuts to continue the season without vaccines. the nhl should be sued for putting them at risk like this.  The commissioner should be replaced immediately 

Its unnecessary and dangerous 

Edited by miles
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, miles said:

This is nuts to continue the season without vaccines. the nhl should be sued for putting them at risk like this.  The commissioner should be replaced immediately 

The fact they weren't doing rapid testing until just recently is completely irresponsible.   Lives and careers are at stake here.   Hopefully Risto makes a full recovery. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The fact they weren't doing rapid testing until just recently is completely irresponsible.   Lives and careers are at stake here.   Hopefully Risto makes a full recovery. 

I cant believe they weren't rapid testing. Honestly, this season should just be canceled and start as normal next year after vaccines are available to everyone 

6 hours ago, miles said:

Anyone who would pay money to see them under these circumstances is insane.  It's too early right now.  

Of course, that assumes they are going to let fans attend in the wake of the governor's announcement.

As far as I know, the Sabres have said nothing about letting fans in since then! 

6 hours ago, miles said:

The commissioner can't unilaterally make a season happen.  The board of governors voted in favor. The NHLPA voted in favor.  The fact that there is a season is on everyone who voted yes. 

That said, every player also had the ability to opt out of this season and carry their contract to next year.  Every player, by not opting out, accepted the potential risks that came along with playing an NHL season. Certainly they made the decision based on the proposed protocols, but each player should also have taken into consideration what the protocols might not prevent and how well those protocols might be followed.

The impacts to Ristolainen are most unfortunate.  He's one of my favorite Sabre players (not necessarily skill wise).  But I can't fault anyone here. He made a decision and put himself at risk and unfortunately he was heavily impacted. 

Maybe we have all been a little too hard on the Sabres this week given what they have been through with the COVID pause and illnesses affecting the team in several instances.

This season so far has pretty much been a pointless exercise, and the Sabres have to be careful on how to assess certain players because of this.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Maybe we have all been a little too hard on the Sabres this week given what they have been through with the COVID pause and illnesses affecting the team in several instances.

This season so far has pretty much been a pointless exercise, and the Sabres have to be careful on how to assess certain players because of this.

11 months between games, not much of a training camp, a couple delays including a 2 week one, all to go along with numerous roster changes. Not a recipe for success.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

11 months between games, not much of a training camp, a couple delays including a 2 week one, all to go along with numerous roster changes. Not a recipe for success.

The Pegulas being the owners of your hockey team.....also not a recipe for success. 

Hopefully, Risto makes a full recovery and has no ill side effects. This disease picks and chooses who to bring the hammer down on. 

I’m going to ease up on my vitriol here. Letting my anger flare towards the team and most notably the coach just isn’t right under these circumstances. A season without covid with these results yer darn tootin I’d bitch loud and proud. But these are unprecedented times and these players have unusual stresses. Hopefully Risto and the rest of the guys can recover both physically and mentally. Thats all.

Edited by bunomatic
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/19/2021 at 8:39 AM, Brawndo said:

THE TIMING COULD HAVE NOT BEEN WORSE. Rasmus Ristolainen, the Finnish star of Buffalo Sabers, who will play in the NHL for the eighth season, played hockey for the rest of his life at the end of January. After a long break, my own game slipped better than ever and the enjoyment of the sport was at its peak again, but everything stopped like a brick wall in early February. On February 2, Ristolainen's name appeared on the NHL's corona quarantine list. Ristolainen, 26, was one of the Sabers players diagnosed with a coronavirus infection. A torturous recovery period began, during which the Turku defender has occasionally visited the deep waters. - Yes, there have been all the possible symptoms. Sometimes there have been harsh conditions, but we are alive. What I've been talking with others around the league, anyone has not had the same conditions as I have because of this, Ristolainen says Ilta-Sanomat. - When the oxygen levels were measured from the finger, they had dropped quite badly. Anyway, he got tired all the time as soon as he did something. After a couple of days, the coronary symptoms had already gotten better, and I thought I was starting to get better from this, but after that came more chest pains and other symptoms.

Ristolainen was subjected to new examinations due to chest and heart pain. - Sometimes there were quite disturbed states of being. When there was chest pain, it felt like my heart was cracking as I walked up the stairs. A couple of evenings there were such conditions when I went to bed that I didn’t know if I woke up here anymore in the morning. That's when he thought that hopefully this wasn't here now, Ristolainen describes. The WHOLE SABRES team was quarantined in early February. The team returned to action on February 14, but without their number one defender. Ristolainen last played on January 31 against the New Jersey Devils. Prior to the Devils matches, the Sabers organization asked the NHL for more information on the health status of the Devils players, but the league refused to share the information further. At worst, more than half of the Devils players were on the quarantine list. - It's a pointless infection in the sense that the New Jersey team had infections before those games, but we were still put to play, Ristolainen says. Ristolainen does not want to anoint his situation, but admits that the timing is particularly difficult. After a year's break, it initially took a while to get fit, but after that Ristolainen got an excellent shot and shone as his team's number one defender. - If ever it comes corona, so of course it comes to such a stage, when I'm done with Momentum. There was a feeling that exactly whatever evening or match it was, it worked, there was a good feeling to play and there was a feeling that you can’t fail. That's what a hockey player always strives for. - I played against New Jersey in both games for 27 minutes and the playing felt good and I wasn’t tired at all and now it’s in this mess. When I return at some point, the early season and that momentum is no longer of any use at that point. In that sense, you have to start from a clean slate again, says Ristolainen.

NOW the worst coronary symptoms are behind us. Ristolainen went to the ice for the first time on Thursday to take a feel. - Now the situation is quite good. I got a clean bill of health from doctors, but I'm physically at the moment so weak that this is still a long way to get to playing condition. Little by little the built in game condition, but I still do not know when I'm back askissa. Ristolainen wants to use his own example to say that the coronavirus must be taken seriously. At its worst, it can hit a young, top-notch athlete in canvas for weeks, as happened to Ristolainen. - I have a whole league to get a fit and lifestyles are the last on the right, but still this disease can strike and wreck everything. People have asked about the return schedule a bit in the style that it was as if I had some flu. You don't have to play here for a moment now. This is a pretty serious disease, Ristolainen says. - The after-symptoms of Korona include getting tired all the time. Right now, I just sleep most of the time. I go to bed at eight in the evenings. After a 12-hour night’s sleep, I feel like I have slept for five minutes. I go to the hall during the day to sweat and come home to sleep. Not quite an ideal situation, but it doesn't help. Ristolainen does not dare to paint the exact return schedule yet. - If all goes well, you could probably think about returning somewhere next week, but let's look at it now. The team is currently on a guest trip. Now, it’s really a great situation for everyone to get into training and realize how bad the condition is right now. There is enough to do, Ristolainen announces.

This describes exactly how I felt... very scary.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:32 AM, miles said:

I cant believe they weren't rapid testing. Honestly, this season should just be canceled and start as normal next year after vaccines are available to everyone 

Hell unless you had symptoms we havent been tested at Hospital I work at.   Rapied tests are at best sometimes accurate.

And people still want to think this isn't a big deal...it is possible Rasmus is not back til next year or possibly might be forced to retire due to heart damage from this. When is the last time you heard athletes possibly forced into retirement from the flu?

The long term implications of this are very scary...they are finding this out even in people with light symptoms or those who were asymptomatic and oftentimes there is systemic damage far in excess of outward symptoms shown with other diseases.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

And people still want to think this isn't a big deal...it is possible Rasmus is not back til next year or possibly might be forced to retire due to heart damage from this.

The long term implications of this are very scary...they are finding this out even in people with light symptoms or those who were asymptomatic.

Sounds like he will get better but may take some time

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.