Is this the least likable Sabres team ever?

#freejame

In all of my time being a Sabres fan I can’t remember a team that was so easy to dislike. There’s been good teams I’ve not cared for, and bad teams I’ve not cared for, but this collection of players is just completely unlikable. I would say I am a fan of Reinhart, VO, and I’ve always kind of had a soft spot for McCabe. Outside of that I’m drawing a pretty big blank. There’s nobody who’s jersey I would buy, that’s for sure. 

This is the most underperforming team we've had since we've had a team capable of performing, so yes. We've suffered enough and at this point it's absurd how long this team has been a steaming pile of garbage. At least garbage eventually breaks down into compost and provides nourishment in the great circle of life. The Sabres just keep heaping more suck on a mile-high pile of suck and the only reason I still casually watch is it gives me an excuse to get some exercise. I've been building a home gym in my basement off of craigslist and when I don't have anything else going on I watch every first period from my nordic track skier and then have the game on the background while dinner is made / eaten. I have yet to actually cast a game on my television because it hasn't been worth the effort to do so yet.

At least prior seasons they came out hot and gave us hope. It's all suck this year. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

This is the most underperforming team we've had since we've had a team capable of performing, so yes. We've suffered enough and at this point it's absurd how long this team has been a steaming pile of garbage. At least garbage eventually breaks down into compost and provides nourishment in the great circle of life. The Sabres just keep heaping more suck on a mile-high pile of suck and the only reason I still casually watch is it gives me an excuse to get some exercise. I've been building a home gym in my basement off of craigslist and when I don't have anything else going on I watch every first period from my nordic track skier and then have the game on the background while dinner is made / eaten. I have yet to actually cast a game on my television because it hasn't been worth the effort to do so yet.

At least prior seasons they came out hot and gave us hope. It's all suck this year. 

I put on 46 pounds since last March. went from 192 to 238. I know, I know, at 50, and a smoker (I'm working on it), this is not a good turn of events.

Which leads me to why I'm responding to your post. I have a basement room that unfortunately has a mere 7 ft ceiling. I am going to shed this unwanted dickie-do, what do you recommend for machines in that low of space? Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I put on 46 pounds since last March. went from 192 to 238. I know, I know, at 50, and a smoker (I'm working on it), this is not a good turn of events.

Which leads me to why I'm responding to your post. I have a basement room that unfortunately has a mere 7 ft ceiling. I am going to shed this unwanted dickie-do, what do you recommend for machines in that low of space? Thanks.

As long as you are careful with the incline and not much taller than 6’, a treadmill works well.  I have a new one in my basement, and have ~3” clearance from the floor joists. 

That being said, if you decide to buy one, first verify distance from floor to top of walking/running deck.  Mine is 8”.  

• Like (+1) 1

Players I actually like on this team:

Olofsson, Reinhart, Lazar, Cozens, McCabe, Jokiharju, Ullmark

Eichel I like ok, I want to like him more, but I’m a little lukewarm.  Same for Risto and Dahlin.

I just feel like this team has no identity.  I’m getting close to the point where I want the team to tear it up and start again with the #1 priority of being an intense, 2-way, hardworking team in mind.  The team just feels mentally and emotionally weak, with no confidence.

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

To me it’s not even about underperforming. I came in with low expectations. But this team looks like they’re having no fun and couldn’t care less. I’m not saying they should be out there smiling when they’re losing, but some emotion would be nice. Lay a big hit, get into a fight, do some celebrating. We can losers but we can also be entertaining. This team just isn’t at all entertaining. 

The last 10 years are a blur of bad players and unlikeable teams.  

Before the Covid outbreak they looked like a disinterested team that had not played together and lacked cohesion - but could maybe at best be a .500 team (not considering the DeLuca factors you all talk about).  Since the Covid outbreak it’s still too early to say.   That was a big blow.  

Unlikeable team?   No.  For me I’m thinking more about unlikeable players.   Right now my hit list is Eichel, Skinner, Okposso, Montour, Miller, and Hutton.   If Punch was GM I would move them all.  Gone.  

PS. - Hall gone at the trading deadline too.  

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Here's a picture of my set up, got the nordic track skier (craigslist for $55), weight bench with 165lbs of weights (craigslist $230) and a punching bag (craigslist $20) - plus 3 packages of floor tiles from amazon $150. I'm trying to add one more piece in a rowing machine if I can find one.

Measured my ceiling and the joists come in around 7", don't have an issue with being on the nordic track which is what I use for the games. During power plays and penalty kills i crank up the resistance but usually just keep it at a moderate level. The first period usually takes 45 minutes which burns enough calories to let me have a few beers without those going straight to my ass.

The key to losing weight is your diet, you can exercise all you want but if you're overeating you won't make much progress, however, I've always found having a consistent exercise regiment keeps me honest with the eating. All you really need is to start finding 15 minutes a day and then building from there.

20210217_190915.jpg

20 minutes ago, #freejame said:

To me it’s not even about underperforming. I came in with low expectations. But this team looks like they’re having no fun and couldn’t care less. I’m not saying they should be out there smiling when they’re losing, but some emotion would be nice. Lay a big hit, get into a fight, do some celebrating. We can losers but we can also be entertaining. This team just isn’t at all entertaining. 

Yeah, you'd want to see them at least pretend to try to win a puck battle. It's been tough to watch. I'll be curious to see if they can even get 10% of fans in the building once that's allowed.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

They're not likable because they're overpaid underachievers in a hard-working blue collar city. 

They don't represent the city or the people who live there.     

Ya, I'd go with this. It's a lot easier to hate a guy who makes 9 million and does nothing (for example) then to hate on lower paid guys. The lack of a work ethic is the key. That's why most everybody likes Lazar. The top part of the roster just doesn't seem to care, and they look like they're playing to not get hurt rather than to win. 

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Here's a picture of my set up, got the nordic track skier (craigslist for $55), weight bench with 165lbs of weights (craigslist $230) and a punching bag (craigslist $20) - plus 3 packages of floor tiles from amazon $150. I'm trying to add one more piece in a rowing machine if I can find one.

Measured my ceiling and the joists come in around 7", don't have an issue with being on the nordic track which is what I use for the games. During power plays and penalty kills i crank up the resistance but usually just keep it at a moderate level. The first period usually takes 45 minutes which burns enough calories to let me have a few beers without those going straight to my ass.

The key to losing weight is your diet, you can exercise all you want but if you're overeating you won't make much progress, however, I've always found having a consistent exercise regiment keeps me honest with the eating. All you really need is to start finding 15 minutes a day and then building from there.

20210217_190915.jpg

Yeah, you'd want to see them at least pretend to try to win a puck battle. It's been tough to watch. I'll be curious to see if they can even get 10% of fans in the building once that's allowed.

Thanks for this.

I don’t hate this team but I’m certainly starting to hate these coaches. Can you coach the life out of a team ? Can you throw so much information at players that they forget to do what comes instinctually ? Can you take everything a player learned to love about hockey while growing up and coach it out of them ? Cause I’ll tell you they play like they hate this game. And I certainly can’t find anything enjoyable in what I’m seeing. Our best players can’t score. Our most promising D man looks like he’s afraid to make a mistake. Our franchise player looks disinterested most of the time. Our offseason grab who’s playing for his next contract is pretty much invisible and can’t score. At some point you have to look at systems and how these guys are being prepared. Is the coach putting players in a position to succeed ? Certainly not in Skinners case. And where is GM KAdams ? Anyhoo I’ll let myself out.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I don’t hate this team but I’m certainly starting to hate these coaches. Can you coach the life out of a team ? Can you throw so much information at players that they forget to do what comes instinctually ? Can you take everything a player learned to love about hockey while growing up and coach it out of them ? Cause I’ll tell you they play like they hate this game. And I certainly can’t find anything enjoyable in what I’m seeing. Our best players can’t score. Our most promising D man looks like he’s afraid to make a mistake. Our franchise player looks disinterested most of the time. Our offseason grab who’s playing for his next contract is pretty much invisible and can’t score. At some point you have to look at systems and how these guys are being prepared. Is the coach putting players in a position to succeed ? Certainly not in Skinners case. And where is GM KAdams ? Anyhoo I’ll let myself out.

Totally agree. Krueger needs to let them play and let go of his systems. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I agree.

I absolutely hate what I’m seeing, but I actually think 80% of this is on RK.

You can simply tell this team is not listening to him. They look like high-school seniors who just can’t get out of class fast enough on a friday, while the teacher keeps on babbling.

This team needs a Tortorella. And what’s ironic is, I think he wouldn’t have to go all crazy on them either, because everything about him and his demeanor says no-BS.

This team needs a no-BS coach, just teaches what he preaches, and will tell the media off in public to have a players back, if need be.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.