William Borgen, demoted to how good can he be?

LGR4GM

Krueger talks a big game about earning ice time and opportunities but he is a massive hypocrite. Case in point, Will Borgen. 

Before the hiatus, Montour was a dumpster fire and completely useless. Coming out of the Hiatus we got Borgen for 2 games after the kid finally got a shot. He hasn't gotten a shot previously because the team is too stupid to trade a right handed defender but Borgen played well, he was almost exactly what we thought. He certainly has played better than Montour but guess what happened today... 

Borgen was demoted back to the taxi squad. So much for earning ice time and opportunities ... you know things that Montour apparently has. 

So my question is simple, what is a hockey reason to demote Borgen and insert Montour into this lineup? 

Edited by LGR4GM

If I want to be the optimist and positive thinker I would say.. they are playing Montour and trying to trade him. They get more if they have him in the lineup.

That said, I'm not that thinker right now.

So.. whatever.  The decisions here are mind boggling.  I like Borgen's game and he should be playing. Perhaps he doesn't skate as well as Montour.. but you know, he defends. 🙂

Ya if Montour ends up playing over Borgan I'll be pissed.  Remember when RK was this big coupe when we signed him?  Similar to JBotts.  I don't know how many GM's and coaches it will take but I have serious doubts RK will get this ship righted and I'm already having serious concerns regarding Adams and his lack of foresight to realize he absolutely HAD to address the goaltending position this offseason.

Goaltending is certainly not a strength of this team, but I would say it's not our biggest problem either.   Even Hasek in his prime may not have been able to steal a win in either game against the Isles.  Lack of even strength scoring is what is killing us and there can be many reasons why it ain't happening.  I do say the common denominator is coaching.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

I find myself disagreeing with just about every decision RK makes.

He has consistently shown, for a while now, that he's not a very good hockey coach.

It's almost as if he had been ousted by the NHL fraternity and had taken refuge in the English Premiership....

LOL

I liked Bergen's play!  Give him more of a shot! 

PS:  Montour is trash; I said he was trash the day we acquired him.

5 minutes ago, Norcal said:

This team is too heavy on RHD.

These last two games showed that Borgen can play in the league.

I hope they are exploring their options and it doesn't include trading Borgen!!!!

Yep.  Borgen was not rushed into the NHL and IMHO is an example of proper development in the minors.  What little we saw has me wanting to see more now and so I really don't like RK's decision.  Montour is a known commodity and should be part of a trade package to shore up other deficiencies on the roster.  

It may not be a valid comparison, but I really did not like GMTM's decision to trade McNabb.  I know he lacked speed, but I liked his size and his willingness to play a more physical style.

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Yep.  Borgen was not rushed into the NHL and IMHO is an example of proper development in the minors.  What little we saw has me wanting to see more now and so I really don't like RK's decision.  Montour is a known commodity and should be part of a trade package to shore up other deficiencies on the roster.  

It may not be a valid comparison, but I really did not like GMTM's decision to trade McNabb.  I know he lacked speed, but I liked his size and his willingness to play a more physical style.

I don't like it now but at the time I liked that GMTM was actively making moves and trying to improve the team and McNabb hadn't "arrived" yet

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

The hope that Seattle forgets that Borgen exists when it comes time for the expansion draft?

If he plays well couldn't they just protect him?

3 minutes ago, Norcal said:

If he plays well couldn't they just protect him?

Definitely, but I think they'll protect Risto, Dahlin, and Joker over Borgen. All have higher offensive upside.

They could protect 4F and 4D, but since one of the forwards protected has to be Skinner, I think they'll stick to just three defensemen.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Definitely, but I think they'll protect Risto, Dahlin, and Joker over Borgen. All have higher offensive upside.

They could protect 4F and 4D, but since one of the forwards protected has to be Skinner, I think they'll stick to just three defensemen.

I'd like to see more of him but I'm leaning towards Borgen tbh

I thought I really liked RK. I am not liking him more as each day passes. Frankly, though, I'm caring less each day that passes about the Sabres in general. Glad I exert no real emotional energy anymore in sports as a whole. Just don't relate much to it.

Because as regular players return from Covid, others need to be returned to the taxi squad and or Rochester. How they play is just one factor.  

If they only went by play, Hall, Eichel and KO would be on the Taxi Squad, and KO would be with Matt Moulsen.

I’ve been saying since before the season began that we need to play the kids to find out what we have.  I’d be thrilled if Borgen, Cozens and Mitts played every night.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve been saying since before the season began that we need to play the kids to find out what we have.  I’d be thrilled if Borgen, Cozens and Mitts played every night.

That would be slick. When Sheahen was signed it, along with Irwin/Davidson, it seemed perfect that those guys would be on the taxi squad and providing rest days for whenever Cozens/Thompson or Okposo or whomever needed a day off. And any kids who didn't make the big squad would get to go to Rochester and play tons of minutes and PP/PK. But that's not happening. Mitts, Thompson, Asplund, Cozens -- one should be up and the rest in the AHL. Instead, we're not seeing any growth for them. What good is watching this from the press box? If Borgen isn't our #6, let him be #1 with Bryson and play 24 minutes a night with all those AHL rookie D guys.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I would almost guarantee that Borgen ends up in Seattle.  I know its a small sample size, but I would protect Borgen over Joker.

You think Seattle wants any of the crap we are going to expose  amongst the forward ranks?

No -- Seattle won't touch our forwards unless they just sign Hall as a UFA. The alternate is Seattle signs Ullmark as UFA.

If Seattle elects to use the pick: Borgen/Joker is the dilemma on our side. Borgen can't prove anything if he doesn't play and just rides taxi squad behind Irwin all year. And yes, Joker has been brutal this season, but he's also a good breakout pass, is still super-young, and has potential. We've seen him look really solid with Scandella and Chicago/Quennville saw him look really solid for half a season, too, until Quenneville got fired. He's a verified NHLer and only 21 years old.

14 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

I totally agree with the proper development idea. He looks ready now. I think Borgen was one of the better players we had in the last 2 games and on the 4 on 1 he made the right play and took away the pass. That alone puts him ahead of Montour imo not to mention Miller who after all his years should know better than to thrust his stick in front of a shot coming in on an angle. Nothing good ever comes from that. Borgen hit a guy good too in an otherwise hitless Sabres game. He's the solid physical presence we need and deserves better unless of course they're trying to lose.........................

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.