What's left to say?

darksabre

23 minutes ago, darksabre said:

What's left to say?

That's the question I've been asking myself about this team going back to the end of last season. What's left to say? I don't know how you all are still finding anything. Fracking?

Night in, night out, year after year, regardless of the roster, the coaches, the jersey colors, this team is just wholly unremarkable. 

Star players? I don't see any. Bad players, good players, what's the difference? They're boring no matter what. Take the names off the back of the jerseys and tell me they're all clones: I'll believe you. 

Every time I turn a game on I think to myself "Maybe tonight. Maybe tonight is the night they surprise me. Maybe tonight something will be different."

But it never is. Just another night of Rob Ray saying they just need a goal to get back in it.

Precedented times or unprecedented times? It's all the same.

I'm not mad anymore, I'm just bored.

Welcome back.

🍺

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Agree 10000000 percent.

I start watching this team and then I start thinking 'maybe I can do some things around the house' and barely watch.

This team is infected with Eichel-15 and as of now it has taken on many strands. I'm sorry but I am tired of Eichel. Move on from him NOW.

Eichel is a great talent that will not equate to many wins. He should have not been handed the captaincy so quick and easy. It almost feels like Buffalo bends over backwards because they fear so badly that they will upset him and he will want to leave. Something stinks with this roster, and you have to look at the top.

While Eichel has big trade value, move him. Move Ristolalinen. Heck, even move Dahlin at this point.

Taylor Hall: Nice idea but this could be a blessing in disguise. Move him and get what you can and do NOT fall for that trick and sign him long term like they did Jeff Skinner.

Hire a real Team President, allow the GM to do the dirty work and build this franchise CORRECTLY up and down.

Enough IS enough.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm not giving up hope on this season yet. I think the team can still turn it around, but it needs to happen in the next 7-10 days.

With that said...This team is boring to watch..Even last year when they won games, I don't find them enjoyable. Even if they mange to get into the playoffs....i just don't know how likeable this group is.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Agree 10000000 percent.

I start watching this team and then I start thinking 'maybe I can do some things around the house' and barely watch.

This team is infected with Eichel-15 and as of now it has taken on many strands. I'm sorry but I am tired of Eichel. Move on from him NOW.

Eichel is a great talent that will not equate to many wins. He should have not been handed the captaincy so quick and easy. It almost feels like Buffalo bends over backwards because they fear so badly that they will upset him and he will want to leave. Something stinks with this roster, and you have to look at the top.

While Eichel has big trade value, move him. Move Ristolalinen. Heck, even move Dahlin at this point.

Taylor Hall: Nice idea but this could be a blessing in disguise. Move him and get what you can and do NOT fall for that trick and sign him long term like they did Jeff Skinner.

Hire a real Team President, allow the GM to do the dirty work and build this franchise CORRECTLY up and down.

Enough IS enough.

I'm honestly open to trading anyone, no one should be considered untouchable.  Skinner you're stuck with, same with okposo.  Buyout skinner could create some space, but it prolongs the pain even longer since he's so fresh into his deal.  Okposo should just go to the minors - those minutes need to be given to someone else who can actually contribute long-term. 

Eichel if traded would get you a haul of stuff - but I refuse to take another terrible deal for a "problem child".  Reinhart would also get a decent value. 

There are so many overpaid bad contracts on this team... its impossible to build.  Skinner, Okposo, Miller, Hutton.  1/4 of the payroll - and you get 4 points from all the skaters (1 of which seems to have forgotten how to score, another how to play hockey, and miller isn't a capable defender), and some really poor goaltending. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

What's left to say?

That's the question I've been asking myself about this team going back to the end of last season. What's left to say? I don't know how you all are still finding anything. Fracking?

Night in, night out, year after year, regardless of the roster, the coaches, the jersey colors, this team is just wholly unremarkable. 

Star players? I don't see any. Bad players, good players, what's the difference? They're boring no matter what. Take the names off the back of the jerseys and tell me they're all clones: I'll believe you. 

Every time I turn a game on I think to myself "Maybe tonight. Maybe tonight is the night they surprise me. Maybe tonight something will be different."

But it never is. Just another night of Rob Ray saying they just need a goal to get back in it.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.  We are stuck in Groundhog Day.  Nothing changes. I was actually excited to see them play again last night.  They didn’t immediately make me regret it.  It was a slow emotionless succubus of emotion.  I am comfortably numb. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 3

A few years ago i started to follow Minnesota as a team to root for since the sabres looked like poo. 

As time went on i enjoyed watching them play more than the sabres. 

The sabres will always be my team because i can't seem to quit them, but their failures dont bother me as much and i can always cound on Minnesota to always be not quite good enough, but not sabres bad

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I'm honestly open to trading anyone, no one should be considered untouchable.  Skinner you're stuck with, same with okposo.  Buyout skinner could create some space, but it prolongs the pain even longer since he's so fresh into his deal.  Okposo should just go to the minors - those minutes need to be given to someone else who can actually contribute long-term. 

Eichel if traded would get you a haul of stuff - but I refuse to take another terrible deal for a "problem child".  Reinhart would also get a decent value. 

There are so many overpaid bad contracts on this team... its impossible to build.  Skinner, Okposo, Miller, Hutton.  1/4 of the payroll - and you get 4 points from all the skaters (1 of which seems to have forgotten how to score, another how to play hockey, and miller isn't a capable defender), and some really poor goaltending. 

I agree,

I still think the utilization of Skinner is more the problem, I still think he can be 'somewhat salvaged' and be a 30 goal guy and not make the contract look as incredibly bad as it does right now.

This team to me just lacks a true pulse, lack of physicality and grit is overwhelming IMO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I agree,

I still think the utilization of Skinner is more the problem, I still think he can be 'somewhat salvaged' and be a 30 goal guy and not make the contract look as incredibly bad as it does right now.

This team to me just lacks a true pulse, lack of physicality and grit is overwhelming IMO.

He can't score 30 goals if he continues to shoot this poorly.  It's like he's aiming for the goalies stomachs.  He was supposed to be a 5x5 driver, not just along for the ride with jack and sam.  

Yep.

40 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I'm honestly open to trading anyone, no one should be considered untouchable. 

Yep.

The Sabres are nothing more than background noise for me nowadays. Many nights, they're not even that.

• Like (+1) 3

What's left to say?

I just hope the Buffalo Sabres have fun tonight.

Had to do it.. 🙂

Good to see you back.. and I agree.  I'm apathetic at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Yup. I don't get mad any more either. It's almost comedic some nights but otherwise there is a definite lack of entertainment. 

I know nobody wants it, and a few still cling to some sort of hope that we're close (although I don't see how or why but they do) but we added a star player to the roster in free agency and we STILL can't score 5 on 5. It's absurd and the ONLY possible solution (and it's not guaranteed) is to tear it all down and start again. It's clear this foundation cannot be built upon. 

I feel bad for players like Cozens who have to come into this and endure it. Possibly get ruined by it, rather than going to follow their dream on a team that tries, cares, and wants to win. Whatever this is, it isn't that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great to hear from you! Your voice is missed here.

Last night was painful. Absolutely. Two weeks off. Guys recovering from covid. AHL players in the line up.

I believe it will get better, and how we feel about this team now will be much different from how we feel about it by the end of this shortened season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, darksabre said:

What's left to say?

Sometimes, when I’m sleeping and hit that sweet REM stage, I have nightmares in the voice of RJ screaming “NOT OUT.”

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Wasted season... maybe Jack's sulking needs to go.  Sabres may need a new captain... someone with some fire and not one who gets sad.  Kid is uber talented but not a leader... I think I'd send him to army basic training for a month.

Jack's sulking has very little to do with this team's fortunes.  Hall, Staal, Skinner and Reinhart are not struggling because of Jack's attitude.  Dahlin overthinking plays has nothing to do with Jack's attitude.

Jack doesn't set the lines or determine the power play strategy.  He's not the one making Hall and Reinhart dig pucks to set up doomed point shots by Irvin or Jokiharju all game long.  It's not his job to figure out the best way to use Staal to maximize his skills.

There are ways to snap Eichel out of his slump (teaming him up with Reinhart instead of Thompson, letting him play off the puck more) that have nothing to do with his attitude.

There's nothing wrong with Eichel that a seasoned NHL coach couldn't fix, and the fixes would have little to do with attitude. 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Wasted season... maybe Jack's sulking needs to go.  Sabres may need a new captain... someone with some fire and not one who gets sad.  Kid is uber talented but not a leader... I think I'd send him to army basic training for a month.

We thought we were getting that kind of captain with O’Reilly but even he got infected by the suck.

It’s always darkest before the dawn.  I think a legit President of Hockey Ops and a no BS coach is what this team needs.  The bandaid has to get ripped off.  No more sweet talk about the positives after a loss.  

I am starting to think the sweet talk is a way for management to use the media to save their jobs.  Focus on those supposed positives and the boss looks like a jerk if he fires you.  I dunno.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.