GDT: Islanders at Sabres, Feb. 16, 2021, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Ray is not going anywhere. He's who we are getting.

The question is... how soon do we lose Biron to a national gig or another franchise? Because Marty is solid and has charisma.

I do enjoy Marty. He paid attention when he played. Rob not so much. And I was a huge fan of Rob when he played. 

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

You must be giving that 1 to Olofsson, the only player on the Sabres who appears to know who to score.

We all moan about this team, I am no different, but it's beyond the ole "it's justified".

I just don't get it. There is talent on this roster. It seems like every season they ***** the bed, scorings an issue, goaltending, defensive play, penalty killing is bad, power play disappears, and the list goes on and on. I just truly am at a complete loss for it.

I keep pointing to culture. It's the only thing that bonds the entire situation together. Yep, that is where I am firmly planted at. I'm stating it straight out now, the Buffalo Sabres organization is where players careers go to die, and the entire league knows it. I know the Pegulas are good people, and they are well intentioned. But enough is enough. They need to step aside and let a President of Hockey Ops in, a very experienced one, to run the show. Just my 2 pennies is all.

/rant and thanks for letting me vent.

Now, back to your post, I can't even give Olofsson 1 since his line mates can't stay on side, Washington 7 - Sabres 0. I'll be shocked if they score again this season.

The paragraph about the culture is spot on. It’s pathetic this team. 

30 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It is clear to me Jack should not of been made captain.  That is one problem.  He is introverted and somewhat immature.  Compare to Josh Allen who is extroverted and very mature for his age and takes responsibility and blame on himself as a captain should and points successes to other teammates. He doesn't sulk when things go wrong but has a "fighting" spirit and a short memory. He never takes plays off and leads by example.  His energy is infectious. He is aggressive and confident.

I agree, as I think he might be part of the problem with this team. He looks unmotivated this year when he needs to lead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Colour me legitimately, significantly surprised at the fact we have but 2 regulation wins in 12, pacing for 9 in a 56 game season. This is not something I thought remotely possible, even given the mentioned outside factors, considering how our forwards looked on paper. 

To me it was more: will we have a top 3 Top 6 unit or a top 5 unit? Bottom of the barrel 5v5 production is a mind boggle. 

Finding a second scoring centre is proving elusive. I hope it doesn’t take as long to replace ROR as it has trying to find a goalie since Miller. 

Still time to turn it around. Shrinking runway though. 

This starts at the top (ownership) and two straight bad GM's  followed by a comfortable likeable GM. Follow that up with mediocre to bad coaching. Lastly we can then look at players who, in my mind, may be a symptom rather than the disease. Bad news is ownership is what it is . Bad possible news. Who with a proven resume wants to come here with the track record of  the Pegula record of hires and fires. Frankly I think our owners are good people and good fans but are out of their league as owners. Have to hope they repeat a total lucky repeat of the Bills. What's the odds? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The odds of this Sabres squad successfully winning 15 games in a row is approximately one million four hundred sixteen thousand six hundred sixty... to one. (That's significantly worse odds than successfully attacking a star destroyer in a converted Corellian YT-1300 freighter.)

To which... all we have to do is define "success". Let's keep a little optimism here.

Looks like I picked the wrong day to start sniffing glue.

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Colour me legitimately, significantly surprised at the fact we have but 2 regulation wins in 12, pacing for 9 in a 56 game season. This is not something I thought remotely possible, even given the mentioned outside factors, considering how our forwards looked on paper. 

To me it was more: will we have a top 3 Top 6 unit or a top 5 unit? Bottom of the barrel 5v5 production is a mind boggle. 

Finding a second scoring centre is proving elusive. I hope it doesn’t take as long to replace ROR as it has trying to find a goalie since Miller. 

Still time to turn it around. Shrinking runway though. 

The nice thing is... all of your games count extra.  Dropping 4 points to the islanders, while getting 0 isn't great though.  

9 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

The paragraph about the culture is spot on. It’s pathetic this team. 

I agree, as I think he might be part of the problem with this team. He looks unmotivated this year when he needs to lead.

He's got the C.  Needs to put on his big boy pants and get to work.  Krueger/Adams can get fired and you'd be standing there on coach number i dunno 4, and GM 4? 

He's like a Towns in minnesota (NBA) - stats and highlight reel plays, a "superstar".  But the team always stinks (i know he's missed time this year).  They trade wiggins for russell (whos like towns best friend) - and now wiggins is playing a role with the warriors.  Towns will probably get his 4th coach, but what does he care?  He's got his max contract.  When its over he'll go sign with the celtics or lakers or something.  Could say the same for stafford in Detroit... he wasn't the problem entirely - but his massive contract indicates he needs to be the man, and the man needs to elevate the team.  If you're so good to justify that deal, why does the team lose more than they win?

I think Jack would be smart to avoid the diva reputation, play out the string - and sign with someone else when its all over.  The trade demand might not go anywhere, and it only harms you in contract negotiations in the future.

Frustrating outcome, especially for the coaches and players.  Sabres out-shot and vastly out-chanced NYI (HDCF 12 HDCA 5 in favor of Buffalo).

The difference?  Sorokin has a season HDSV% of 0.800, Hutton 0.724.  Sorokin statistically would have allowed 2.4 goals, but instead stepped up to 1.000.  Hutton did not.

In 5v5 so far this season (insert small sample size disclaimer):

Ullmark is HDSV% = 5 HDGA / 46 HDCA = 0.891 (opponent HDSH% 10.9%)

Team (with Ullmark ) HDSH% 5 HDGF / 52 HDCF = 9.6%

Hutton is HDSV% 8 HDGA /40 HDCA = 0.800 (opponent HDSH% 20.0%)

Team (with Hutton) HDSH% 3 HDGF / 45 HDCF = 6.7%

Summary: In 5v5, when Hutton's on the ice, we're making opposing goalies look stellar and Hutton can't keep us in games.  It doesn't matter if we out-chance NYI 12 to 5 if we can't score and Hutton can't hold up.  With these averages for 60 minutes of 5v5, NYI would still have won this game by a score of (0.8 x 5) 1 goal to our (0.067 x 12) 0.8 goals.  Carter Hutton is 57th (fifty ***** seventh) in the league in 5v5 HDSV%.  Expect to lose games with Hutton in net, unless we somehow absolutely torch an opposing goaltender.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.