GDT: Islanders at Sabres, Feb. 16, 2021, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

Morale is low following a disappointing loss last night in which the Sabres were unable to muster any shots on goal in the 3rd period, after playing competitively with a good Islanders team for the 1st 2 periods.

The fan base is good and PO'd.  The expensive forwards haven't done anything.  The goaltending is lousy again, and everyone saw it coming.  The coach talks a good game, and he seems to connect with the players, and he has clearly improved some parts of their play, and there are a number of key factors out of his control, but still:  where are the wins? 

Most ominously, there is reason to be concerned that the franchise player is mailing it in until the season ends, at which point he'll demand a trade.

As for tonight, the roster has taken some major hits due to Covid -- ESPN reports as follows:

INJURIES: Sabres: Dylan Cozens: out (covid protocol), Rasmus Ristolainen: out (health and safety protocols), Brandon Montour: day to day (health protocols), Jake McCabe: out (health and safety protocols), Tobias Rieder: day to day (covid protocol), Sam Reinhart: day to day (upper body), Curtis Lazar: out (covid protocol), Taylor Hall: out (health and safety protocols).

Still:  we're here because we care about this team.

Tonight could be the night when they start to right the ship.

They haven't been that far off.  A save here or there, a star forward burying a chance instead of shooting it into the goalie's pads, and they're 6-5 and in the playoffs instead of 4-7 and out.

I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Let's see how this goes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Morale is low following a disappointing loss last night in which the Sabres were unable to muster any shots on goal in the 3rd period, after playing competitively with a good Islanders team for the 1st 2 periods.

The fan base is good and PO'd.  The expensive forwards haven't done anything.  The goaltending is lousy again, and everyone saw it coming.  The coach talks a good game, and he seems to connect with the players, and he has clearly improved some parts of their play, and there are a number of key factors out of his control, but still:  where are the wins? 

Most ominously, there is reason to be concerned that the franchise player is mailing it in until the season ends, at which point he'll demand a trade.

As for tonight, the roster has taken some major hits due to Covid -- ESPN reports as follows:

Still:  we're here because we care about this team.

Tonight could be the night when they start to right the ship.

They haven't been that far off.  A save here or there, a star forward burying a chance instead of shooting it into the goalie's pads, and they're 6-5 and in the playoffs instead of 4-7 and out.

I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Let's see how this goes.

Hall out?  That seems dubious.  

Also, weren't McCabe & Montour both expected to be back tonight? 

That ESPN report seems to have dated info.

How can Hall be out for coved? 

Maybe a little Thomas Paine can offer a sliver of inspiration 

December 23, 1776

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

How can Hall be out for coved? 

Maybe a little Thomas Paine can offer a sliver of inspiration 

December 23, 1776

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. 

“The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow.”
― Thomas Paine

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Assuming you mean the "why do the Sabres always end up with the wrong brother?" (or something to that effect) thread?

No clue, the search function here is beyond broken.

Yeah, that's the one.  

I've been having trouble with the search function too.

It's a shame my son has a varsity hockey game at 7:30 tonight.  Oh wait.. no, it's not!

This team has two weeks to make things interesting before I cancel Fubo and tune them out.

Last night was an abomination and I am firmly in the replace all coaching staff category.  The strategy this team is using is terrible.  I'd have to go back a few years to which coach it was that loved a lot of long passes, many east-west, that routinely never hit their mark or get intercepted and if they do connect do so in such a way it causes the pass receiver to slow down too much.  Krueger appears to love the same thing.

So.. high school hockey it is!

Edited by LTS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.