Ralph Krueger needs to go - like yesterday.

MODO Hockey

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Ftr, I thought firing GMTM and HCDB was a mistake. If they hadn’t done that, I feel we would have been a better team than we became and it would not be the revolving door situation it has become.

And firing Lindy was merely a symptom of the disease that brought this team down.

They very well may have given up on Bylsma too quickly.  If what I heard about Murray is true, he basically fired himself.

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

They both did, at length, just a few months ago when they made the GM change.

Yes they did, and it was one of the most underwhelming and lame pressers I have ever seen.   If I had any doubt they were clueless before, it was obvious to me afterwards that they lack the objectivity and critical thinking required to be effective owners.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How long until we get the statement of support for RK from management?

They don’t need to make a statement...don’t you know they are better informed than the idiot fans.  I just can’t believe that this franchise is such a mess.  I think RK schmoozed the Pegula’s into hiring him as the HC...the ultimate flim flam man, charlatan, motivational BS artist, etc...

😡😡😡

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Yes they did, and it was one of the most underwhelming and lame pressers I have ever seen.   If I had any doubt they were clueless before, it was obvious to me afterwards that they lack the objectivity and critical thinking required to be effective owners.  

I don't necessarily disagree with you, and yet they threw darts at a board with the bills and hit a bullseye.

If they can do that with McDermott (and moreso Beane IMO, though he was brought in by McDermott) they can do it with the Sabres.  At least that is the argument.

I remain hopeful that the Pegulas will sell the Sabres and focus their efforts on the Bills, which is an entirely different sort of business model and one that actually works.  It also has all the prestige.  

I think it could make sense for them, but either they are going to do it or they aren't.  I don't really know how they would feel about it.

The following strikes me as a quote that, although honest, could easily get one fired:

“I’ll be really honest with everybody here that I’m trying to figure that (inability to score at even strength) out,” he (RaKru) said. “It’s no easy fix, but if we do get that momentum, we will be strong.”

https://apnews.com/article/nhl-ralph-krueger-buffalo-archive-buffalo-sabres-1e2b5990708adc8eafa24bb66722938e

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

When Doug Marrone opted out and the Pegulas needed to find a replacement they hired a firm to assist them finding a replacement. The firm came back with who they felt would be the best candidate for the job. 

Instead Russ Brandon sold the idea of them hiring Rex Ryan. 

Fast forward to just after Ryan was fired. The Pegulas asked the same search firm to recommend a HC. Low and behold they came back with the same person, Sean McDermott. 

So they were lucky that the same candidate who was a finalist for coach of the year was available two years later and that His Relationship with Beane was strong. 

Now look at the Sabres. The Pegulas were sick and tired of getting bad advice on hires so they decided to hire Adams with zero NHL Front Office and kept Krueger and His staff, because reasons. (Jack likes him, or they still owed Him 7.8 Million on His Contract. 

Let’s look closer at those previous hires. PLF was hired as POHO. He recommended GMTM for the position after hiring Ted Nolan to be His Coach. 

GMTM was highly regarded because of His Scouting Background around the NHL and was on the GM Track. 
He traded too many assets in an attempt to accelerate the rebuild. 
He brought in Brian Gionta and Josh Gorges to be leaders in the locker room for the young core he was building. 
Unfortunately he also brought in Evander Kane who told Jack and Sam to dismiss those two and created a leadership vacuum. 

GMTM hired Bylsma after missing out on Babcock.

After the two of them were fired, the Pegulas asked the NHL for help. 
They recommended Botterill who was the AGM for a successful franchise and highly thought of.

Housley was also considered a Hot Coaching Prospect and was a former Sabre. 

Three of the Four were first timers and they all failed at their  jobs. 

Did the NHL really give the Pegulas poor advice? It was two people that were promoted past their level of competency and they just didn’t work out.

Now they have chosen to move forward with an another First Time Front Office Holder as GM and a HC who hadn’t been in Hockey in Five Years. 

They are the only team in the NHL that does not have an Assistant General Manager. 

Their Assistant Director of Scouting is also The Director of Analytics and is the only person in that department. 

Their problems seem to be self inflicted. Going with a limited pool of candidates from the Harborcenter may feel safe, but it also cuts down on the number truly qualified candidates. 

Joe Yerdon was on Two in the Box Podcast and was talking about Krueger’s Style that it is not to give up many chances, but it also limits the chances the offense gets as well, low event hockey at both ends. 

He also mentioned Bruce Boudreau being available and that His Style of Play would be more better for the Sabres and I’m very inclined to agree with him. 

• Like (+1) 7

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

When Doug Marrone opted out and the Pegulas needed to find a replacement they hired a firm to assist them finding a replacement. The firm came back with who they felt would be the best candidate for the job. 

Instead Russ Brandon sold the idea of them hiring Rex Ryan. 

Fast forward to just after Ryan was fired. The Pegulas asked the same search firm to recommend a HC. Low and behold they came back with the same person, Sean McDermott. 

So they were lucky that the same candidate who was a finalist for coach of the year was available two years later and that His Relationship with Beane was strong. 

Now look at the Sabres. The Pegulas were sick and tired of getting bad advice on hires so they decided to hire Adams with zero NHL Front Office and kept Krueger and His staff, because reasons. (Jack likes him, or they still owed Him 7.8 Million on His Contract. 

Let’s look closer at those previous hires. PLF was hired as POHO. He recommended GMTM for the position after hiring Ted Nolan to be His Coach. 

GMTM was highly regarded because of His Scouting Background around the NHL and was on the GM Track. 
He traded too many assets in an attempt to accelerate the rebuild. 
He brought in Brian Gionta and Josh Gorges to be leaders in the locker room for the young core he was building. 
Unfortunately he also brought in Evander Kane who told Jack and Sam to dismiss those two and created a leadership vacuum. 

GMTM hired Bylsma after missing out on Babcock.

After the two of them were fired, the Pegulas asked the NHL for help. 
They recommended Botterill who was the AGM for a successful franchise and highly thought of.

Housley was also considered a Hot Coaching Prospect and was a former Sabre. 

Three of the Four were first timers and they all failed at their  jobs. 

Did the NHL really give the Pegulas poor advice? It was two people that were promoted past their level of competency and they just didn’t work out.

Now they have chosen to move forward with an another First Time Front Office Holder as GM and a HC who hadn’t been in Hockey in Five Years. 

They are the only team in the NHL that does not have an Assistant General Manager. 

Their Assistant Director of Scouting is also The Director of Analytics and is the only person in that department. 

Their problems seem to be self inflicted. Going with a limited pool of candidates from the Harborcenter may feel safe, but it also cuts down on the number truly qualified candidates. 

Joe Yerdon was on Two in the Box Podcast and was talking about Krueger’s Style that it is not to give up many chances, but it also limits the chances the offense gets as well, low event hockey at both ends. 

He also mentioned Bruce Boudreau being available and that His Style of Play would be more better for the Sabres and I’m very inclined to agree with him. 

Good post, but on a tangent I think the bold is what will allow us to reasonably mitigate the potential injury loss of a player like McCabe. The system itself should provide cushion for his replacement. 

Neither McCabe or Risto were much to  write home about before Krueger got here and for that he deserves credit. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Good post, but on a tangent I think the bold is what will allow us to reasonably mitigate the potential injury loss of a player like McCabe. The system itself should provide cushion for his replacement. 

Neither McCabe or Risto were much to  write home about before Krueger got here and for that he deserves credit. 

The same system stifles offensive opportunities though. 

McCabe and Risto have improved this season, but the only reason Borgen has been in the lineup is because of the Covid Outbreak. Davidson and Irwin both got games before him. When asked when Borgen was going to get a game, Krueger could not answer that question. 

The other four regulars all deserved to sit for a game pre Covid. 

Miller, Jokiharju and Dahlin especially have regressed under Krueger. 

Miller and His Primary Partner in Vegas Jon Merrill had great metrics as a pairing, the Sabres added LHD Irwin and Davidson to 700k Deals. Merrill signed a one year 925k deal with Detroit this offseason he would have helped. 

The biggest worry is the Sabres have until next offseason until Jack wants out, it maybe too late already and another rebuild is on the inevitable.

Do we trust Adams, Krueger, Crowe and Nightengale to get the proper return for Eichel and properly rebuild the team into a contender? 

Or would hiring Mike Gillis as POHO to oversee the whole operation and bringing in Boudreau as HC put the team on the right plan, so am Eichel Trade wouldn’t be necessary. 

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Second hint:  It's not Mike Grier.

Well shoot. Now I've gotta do some research. Chris Taylor was just fired... so that's unlikely. Steve Ott doesn't seem like he'd be stable enough.

So it's between defensemen. Nolan Pratt with the Avs? His team's on TV right now, so that's be a super recency bias.

Edited by DarthEbriate

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Well shoot. Now I've gotta do some research. Chris Taylor was just fired... so that's unlikely. Steve Ott doesn't seem like he'd be stable enough.

So it's between defensemen. Nolan Pratt with the Avs? His team's on TV right now, so that's be a super recency bias.

You're BARKING up the wrong tree.

Miss ya Clipper.

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The player was a defenseman.

Here's a BIG hint:  He scored a Stanley-Cup winning goal, although (obviously) not for the Sabres.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I got it.  Why do you think that would be a good idea?

Keeping in mind that I just think it's a good idea and that this is not a campaign for him...

Krupp was a solid two-way defenseman who could "see the ice."  Had amazing puck sense.  Has two Stanley Cups and one Calder Cup.  Has had experience and success as a coach.  Seems to be no-nonsense and wouldn't take crap from the players.  Indeed, would intimidate most players just by standing up.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Aha. Would it be because of a RaKru connection? Is he interested in coaching across the pond?

If there's a connection to Krueger, I don't want him anymore.  I also don't know if he'd be interested.  I'll reach out to him tomorrow.

Krupp’s Coaching Tenure is highlighted by being named DEL Coach of the Year 2012-13 and lead His Team to the DEL Finals in 2013 and 2014.  That’s too far removed for My Taste. 

Bruce Boudreau has lead His Teams to the Playoffs 10 of 12 seasons where he coached the entire year.

He has a .635 Winning Percentage, the Sabres Winning Percentage is .441 in the full seasons that the Pegulas have owned the team, .471 if you remove the tank seasons . 

Oh and Staal had 65, 76 and 52 points in the full three seasons BB was His HC. 

• Like (+1) 1