Ralph Krueger needs to go - like yesterday.

MODO Hockey

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

This got me thinking...I don’t remember hearing about Leaman being interviewed last time around.  Who else did they interview...other than RK?

Leaman was interviewed to take over Rochester but decided to stay in college instead.  Leaman is a good coach, has a good track record but bringing him in to this situation would be another mistake.  This situation is screaming for a Boudreau.  Leaman makes sense if they intend on blowing the whole thing up, trading Eichel and the others, and starting from scratch.

But knowing the Pegulas as we do, they will hire Leaman, keep this group together and scratch their heads when they are still in this position 2 years from now.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

This situation is screaming for a Boudreau.

Couldn't agree more.  2-3 years of a Boudreau type to turn the team around, and then hand the team to the coach who actually will win a Cup.

Also, I read your name as "fishsabre" initially and was wondering what that was all about. 

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Michael Scott has forever ruined Powerpoint for me.

And I don't read as much into that presentation vis-a-vis the Sabres as some people do, but it certainly exists.  Meanwhile, they still have dumped money into this team like no owner ever had.

So, they kept talking about efficiency, at a time that they let 40+ people go, while trying to “maintain a lifestyle”, and it’s not about money?

Do I have that right?

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

So, the kept talking about efficiency, at a time that they let 40+ people go, while trying to “maintain a lifestyle, and it’s not about money?

Do I have that right?

You do not.  They did not eviscerate the Sabres (or the Bills) to maintain their lifestyle.  They cut a lot of other operations, though, and trimmed some fat from the sports teams.  And then the Sabres signed the most expensive free agent, on a per-year basis, in team history.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Couldn't agree more.  2-3 years of a Boudreau type to turn the team around, and then hand the team to the coach who actually will win a Cup.

Also, I read your name as "fishsabre" initially and was wondering what that was all about. 

Let’s just say he’s got a very big magnet 

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

1.  So I think the reason there isn't an interim coach isn't because Terry doesn't have the balls (or however you phrased it).  It's because there isn't one to be had.

2.  For the second time in a decade, I respectfully caution you to please, please be careful what you wish for.  The last thing we need is a new owner who is stingy with the purse.  Firing Ruff didn't change the course of the team for the better, and neither will a sale of the team.

I understand where you are coming from, but all Pegula’s money has not helped the team one bit.  His time as owner has turned the Sabres from a respectable organization into a true laughingstock, in spite off his spending.

$10,000 spent wisely can accomplish a lot more than $20,000 spent foolishly.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I understand where you are coming from, but all Pegula’s money has not helped the team one bit.  His time as owner has turned the Sabres from a respectable organization into a true laughingstock, in spite off his spending.

$10,000 spent wisely can accomplish a lot more than $20,000 spent foolishly.

They just need the right GM (maybe it's Adams and maybe it isn't) and coach.  Their time as owners have turned the Bills from a laughingstock into a respectable organization, too.

Your last sentence is dead on.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Friedman also said that Boudreau would love to coach here since he's relatively local, but maybe the Sabres aren't interested in him.

I agree that an interim would be the ideal solution, but who?  Who in the organization would possibly be a good choice for an interim coach?  I don't want anyone from Krueger's staff in charge, even for a minute.  I guess Adams could step behind the bench?

I wonder if Boudreau would take an interim position for the rest of the year on a "prove it" contract?  If he does well, he stays.  If not, he got some decent work for a few months.

Would you consider Matt Ellis to be part of "Krueger's staff"?  I think putting KA behind the bench would be a terrible mistake; he's got plenty on his plate already.  I think Ellis would be a good soldier and coach them on a caretaker basis for the rest of the year and if he does a good enough job, could be considered for the permanent position (considered, not automatically get it).

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I wonder if Boudreau would take an interim position for the rest of the year on a "prove it" contract?  If he does well, he stays.  If not, he got some decent work for a few months.

Would you consider Matt Ellis to be part of "Krueger's staff"?  I think putting KA behind the bench would be a terrible mistake; he's got plenty on his plate already.  I think Ellis would be a good soldier and coach them on a caretaker basis for the rest of the year and if he does a good enough job, could be considered for the permanent position (considered, not automatically get it).

I don't think Boudreau would, and I think it could lead to what the kids today call "bad optics."

Ellis is an interesting idea.

I was kidding about Adams stepping behind the bench!

Edited by Eleven

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

it could lead to what the kids today call "bad optics."

Oh, if he had the interim tag, they offered to remove it and he stepped away?  Yeah... not a good look.  Fine, then give him a contract for this year and another one or two.

38 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They just need the right GM (maybe it's Adams and maybe it isn't) and coach.  Their time as owners have turned the Bills from a laughingstock into a respectable organization, too.

Yeah, I agree.  They just need the right person in charge of hockey decisions.

My question is, will they actually put that person in control and let them do their job?  The last person they hired for GM is without adequate qualifications and experience.  He was brought in because he was know and trusted.  Does this seem like the correct hiring strategy?

It seems that the Pegulas are 0/2 on GM hires and 0/5 on coaching hires.  I don’t have a lot of faith that 3rd time or 6th is the charm.

It’s cool that the Bills are doing well, but I’m not concerned with them.  The NFL is a different animal.    Pegula made a bad hire of Ryan before hiring a good coach, who then helped bring in a good GM.  So I guess he is 1/2 with the Bills.

Now, if the recent rumor that they are looking for help running the team results in them bringing in someone with experience and success to a high level position, it could signal that they realize the need to take a step back and give up some control to people who know better.  That would make me slightly more optimistic.

Edited by Curt

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Well, Adams’ inability to pull the trigger seems to be cementing Krueger’s position as the Sabres most-hated coach of all time. That’s something.

Can't see it being any other way at this point - this is the worst Sabres team ever statistically, standings wise at this time, people will argue the tank teams were worse, I'd say they'd be right - but against expectations this is probably the worst team we've ever fielded. With poor production from players almost across the board...it only makes sense. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Meanwhile, the Flames hired Sutter, the king of low-event hockey coaching and incomprehensible short dialog motivation (same-Krueger's coaching style and anti-Krueger's speaking skills) and the Flames immediately got a bump, actually winning back-to-back games.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Not a chance. Boudreau is a proven NHL coach who's looking for a multiyear deal at full price, as he should. He'll get Seattle or another team next season that isn't a complete trainwreck up top.

KA can't be coach because he has a GM job to do and no AGM or aide to assist in that role.

But --- jettison the RaKru escape pods, and his staff --- and get an interim in, immediately. It's way past time. Now it's just beating a dead tauntaun that has already provided all the temporary warmth it could by November... of 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

You do not.  They did not eviscerate the Sabres (or the Bills) to maintain their lifestyle.  They cut a lot of other operations, though, and trimmed some fat from the sports teams.  And then the Sabres signed the most expensive free agent, on a per-year basis, in team history.

The PP slide was actually in the presentation to the team about what they were doing, but it had nothing to do with what they were doing with the team.

Sure. That makes sense.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

What’s gotten into you today? They just need the right GM and Coach? That’s deep. Who would have ever thought of that?

This is a message board so we are still allowed to speculate(I think). What other possible reason could there be for not firing RK? The only other thing I can think of is hubris: this is the first coach that was “their” pick and it would look bad if he didn’t work out.

44 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The PP slide was actually in the presentation to the team about what they were doing, but it had nothing to do with what they were doing with the team.

Sure. That makes sense.

What’s gotten into you today? They just need the right GM and Coach? That’s deep. Who would have ever thought of that?

This is a message board so we are still allowed to speculate(I think). What other possible reason could there be for not firing RK? The only other thing I can think of is hubris: this is the first coach that was “their” pick and it would look bad if he didn’t work out.

I think @Eleven’s point though is that perhaps it’s not inexcusable, as many here seem to think, that TP hasn’t found those 2 guys yet, and that TP had tried and is almost certainly going to keep trying to do so, which is a reason to cut TP some slack.  

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think @Eleven’s point though is that perhaps it’s not inexcusable, as many here seem to think, that TP hasn’t found those 2 guys yet, and that TP had tried and is almost certainly going to keep trying to do so, which is a reason to cut TP some slack.  

My slack ran out at year 3.

31 minutes ago, SwampD said:

My slack ran out at year 3.

6 minutes ago, Radar said:

Took me longer about year seven.

I feel your pain gentlemen.  All I can say is I think TP is going to keep trying until he finds the right guys to run the team, and as long as I think he’s trying I will continue to be fine with him owning the team.

Having said that, I really don’t want a college coach to take over for RK, and I would like to see some growth in KA’s management team so it’s clear they aren’t running on a shoestring budget.  

• Like (+1) 2

How did Ralph Svengali Terry into a contract worth 55% more than Torts? And Tippett who was a finalist for the job in Buffalo gets $1.15m less in EDM? In hindsight it looks far worse, but even before the disastrous results of this season it seems Terry got hoodwinked and flimflammed, again.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

How did Ralph Svengali Terry into a contract worth 55% more than Torts? And Tippett who was a finalist for the job in Buffalo gets $1.15m less in EDM? In hindsight it looks far worse, but even before the disastrous results of this season it seems Terry got hoodwinked and flimflammed, again.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

Yikes. 

16 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Yikes. 

A lot of unknowns on that list. But another strike against JBot if Krueger managed anything at or above median salary in the league considering he'd coached 1/2 a season of sub.500 hockey in the NHL and hadn't done so in years. And then to get a dull staff and a non-event attacking system as his Xs and Os? Like... that was his plan and not something radical? Fleeced. You'd never hire someone like that at an above average salary at a regular day-to-day job. He's so Chancellor Valorum. Vote of no confidence! Now, sit down and look bewildered.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1