Ralph Krueger needs to go - like yesterday.

MODO Hockey

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If RaKru deliberately threw shade on Skinner — I'm not sure he did, and I love a quote conspiracy theory as much as anyone — it could easily be interpreted as the coach knowing that his job is totally secure. You wouldn't be that overt (or careless) if you thought your job was in jeopardy.

If the Pegulas hired Ralph to be Sean 2.0 and establish a new culture, they could be 100% behind the treatment of Skinner lock, stock and barrel — the fourth line, the benching, the quote. Cull out the ones who don't fit.

RaKru might not be. Going. Nowhere. Or whatever the big lug said of Lindy.

Is it a conspiracy though? I suppose if we get down to whether it was deliberate shade, but I've tried and can't not see it as shade, intentional or not. And there would be a strong argument that claiming ignorance, especially for a master communicator, doesn't hold much weight. 

Would a coach say Ovechkin "measures his career on goals"? It's been by far his defining characteristic. They wouldn't say that because the connotation is a bad one. Now, if you think Skinner DOES measure his career on goals and you think truth removes the shadiness, that's another argument, again. 

But I wouldn't make it - I think Krueger is smart enough to know what he is saying/leaving out there and how the player/fans will react - so to me it's still shade in that case. 

Edited by Thorny

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That time Terry looked at Niagara Falls and wondered how much it would cost to buy it and drill under it? I mean, the water source is built right in.

Also — you might be the only fan left who doesn't believe Terry is a meddling schmuck.

I can point you to an entire website full of people--not necessarily all of whom are Sabres fans--who do not believe that Terry is a meddling schmuck.

www.twobillsdrive.com

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I also think the system quite clearly stifles offense, which probably accounts for at least a decent portion of the top 6 considering it's EVERYONE (Jack has been hurt, look - he probably transcended the system last year, that's how good he is), while it benefits and insulated defenders and goaltending because it is such low event. 

Hutton isn't a Krueger issue, it's an Adams issue 

It's actually not presenting itself as terribly as it should be, given the stats, because of so much other stuff going wrong. It was a colossal mistake that's sometimes mentioned as "doesn't matter cause we can't score anyways". 

Which even if sometimes true, doesn't address the asset evaluation from Adams, and that's an issue because it pertains to the future. 

Yup, nothing was done in the off season to really address this. 

48 minutes ago, Eric in Akron said:

I think people are also forgetting that we are comparing goaltending prior to all of the injuries (and Skinner benching) versus what we've seen afterwards.  Ullmark's performance may not have been as good after all the other circumstances have played out.  We cannot compare.

So are you saying that you think Hutton might be an alright goalie?

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I love this too:

Only in buffalo is 8 games not extended lol 

Compared to 10 years, it’s not.  

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

So are you saying that you think Hutton might be an alright goalie?

I think he is an okay backup.  If you remove the first game played (1/14) where the team seemed to sleepwalk through that whole game and he had a .815 sv% then that certainly adjusts his overall sv%.  Again, I'm taking the subset up to Ullmark's injury and the post COVID pause debacle:

1/18 - .955

1/19 - .950 (back to back)

1/31 - .889

2/16 - .913

2/25 - .840 (replaced Ullmark) This is the game that the wheels started coming off.

Again, he is an okay backup.  The team's problems go beyond goaltending - it's a problem but is not as big of a problem as the system is, IMHO.

59 minutes ago, Eric in Akron said:

I think people are also forgetting that we are comparing goaltending prior to all of the injuries (and Skinner benching) versus what we've seen afterwards.  Ullmark's performance may not have been as good after all the other circumstances have played out.  We cannot compare.

This goes much beyond just before/after COVID pause and McCabe's injury. What about last season?

Ullmark has been better this season (in albeit a smaller sample) than last year. Higher sv%, higher rate of quality starts, reduced GAA, and clearly stole that 4-1 game vs. NJD. He's becoming a good NHL starter.

Hutton has been worse. Worse than last season! Again, smaller sample this year, but he's gone .908, .898, and now .883 this season with save percentages.

JJ should be getting AHL time to show that All-Star status wasn't a fluke. He should not be an NHL #1 at this point for his overall career trajectory --- another decent young player being rushed. I get not having the ECHL and wanting to have a vet like Tokarski in the AHL (and for draft exposure purposes). But JJ and UPL should be in the AHL. We're watching JJ play admirably but in way over his head. Will we do the same to UPL next season when JJ and Linus both leave for real franchises?

3 minutes ago, Eric in Akron said:

I think he is an okay backup.  If you remove the first game played (1/14) where the team seemed to sleepwalk through that whole game and he had a .815 sv% then that certainly adjusts his overall sv%.  Again, I'm taking the subset up to Ullmark's injury and the post COVID pause debacle:

1/18 - .955

1/31 - .889

2/16 - .913

2/25 - .840 (replaced Ullmark) This is the game that the wheels started coming off.

Again, he is an okay backup.  The team's problems go beyond goaltending - it's a problem but is not as big of a problem as the system is, IMHO.

He isn't an okay backup though. You need an okay backup to play okay for the entire season. Backups nowadays can approach 30 games, and this sample you gave is 5. Similarly, last year he was alright for a month...and then lost 11 straight decisions, 8 of which he allowed 4 goals or more, 5 of which he allowed 5 or 6 goals. This has happened 3 seasons in a row. He's dreadful 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I can point you to an entire website full of people--not necessarily all of whom are Sabres fans--who do not believe that Terry is a meddling schmuck.

www.twobillsdrive.com

The chicks there are unreal.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

www.twobillsdrive.com

I rest my case. Again. Conviction to follow. Again. Unless all the Kim talk has prejudiced Judge Smell.

51 minutes ago, Eric in Akron said:

1/18 - .955

1/31 - .889

2/16 - .913

He has been bad for 3 years, since 2019.  I’m sure if you massage his numbers enough and make them look ok, but he is just plain bad.

Not to say that is the Sabres only problem, it’s not, but Hutton has not performed as an adequate backup for a long time.

I just want to point out -- did anyone notice how Carter Hart continued his poor play last night (he has shut us out, true, but is overall bad this season)? He got shelled in the first period, the Flyers broadcast team at intermission pointed out how sloppy their D-zone coverage was...   Goalie switch.

Elliott comes in and the team responds. Get one back. Get another back. Win in OT. That's coaching. I'd also be willing to wager that Vigneault and/or the team's veterans like Giroux stated that it was unacceptable --- and the team completely regrouped from there on out.

When we give up 4 and 3 goals against the Islanders, or rapid-succession goals that change the complexion of the game....  not even a timeout.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don't know man.

JJ and Hutton haven't been good, I just can't think of many games this year where we lost because of the goalie.

And Linus has been good.

Although that may be the case, Hutton has terrible numbers based on almost every metric that one would use to judge a goalie.  I just don't want Adams getting a pass over goaltending because even if Jack was Jack of old, Hall was playing better and we were getting atleast something from the corpse of Jeff Skinner, this team was still not sniffing the playoffs with that goaltending.  

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

To me, this is clearly the problem:

• 1st line centre: 4 goals, -36
  • 2nd line centre: 7 goals, -45
  • 1st line wing: 5 goals, -40
  • 2nd line wing: 3 goals, -41
  • 2nd line wing: 4 goals, -24

Those are the projected ES numbers over a full season for five of our top six forwards.

Compare those to the actual numbers of the tank team

• 1st line centre: 13 goals, -19
  • 2nd line centre: 11 goals, -16
  • 1st line wing: 10 goals, -11
  • 2nd line wing: 9 goals, -13
  • 2nd line wing: 7 goals, -18

(For the record, that was Ennis, Girgensons, Moulson, Gionta and Stafford)

Our highly-paid, highly-touted forwards are not producing and they are getting caved at unheard-of levels.

EDIT: Just to depress you even more:

2021 Rasmus Dahlin: 0 goals, -70

2015 Andrej Mezsaros: 7 goals, -13

Dude.  I expected more then a plus/minus argument out of you.

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Although that may be the case, Hutton has terrible numbers based on almost every metric that one would use to judge a goalie.  I just don't want Adams getting a pass over goaltending because even if Jack was Jack of old, Hall was playing better and we were getting atleast something from the corpse of Jeff Skinner, this team was still not sniffing the playoffs with that goaltending.  

Agree in general but I think this year up to now has been lack of scoring a bad defense in front of our goal. 

1 minute ago, Curt said:

He has been bad for 3 years, since 2019.  I’m sure if you massage his numbers enough and make them look ok, but he is just plain bad.

Not to say that is the Sabres only problem, it’s not, but Hutton has not performed as an adequate backup for a long time.

Fair enough.  Believe me, I'm not a fan of his.  I'm just trying to point out to those that think that goaltending is the issue that it is not the core issue.  We have more talent (on paper) than we've had in years past and our production is worse.  That points to system issues and if our fragile roster has no confidence then a good coach would know how to get them inspired.  It is his job to ensure the team is ready to play, crap when you come out first game of the season and say you weren't going to coach that night then you should be fired because that is your job!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Dude.  I expected more then a plus/minus argument out of you.

Dude, if you don't think it is significant that your top six is pacing to be outscored by 40 goals! at even strength, I don't know what to say.

• Like (+1) 1