Ralph Krueger needs to go - like yesterday.

MODO Hockey

On 2/27/2021 at 11:30 PM, pi2000 said:

This is the only correct answer.

To compare this team statistically to past seasons, or any other team in a different division, is apples to oranges.    

They're playing in an 8 team league, 6 of which made the playoffs last season.

They had a 10 month hiatus, replaced half their forwards, a 1 week training camp, no pre-season, play 10 games, then a 2 week break... come out of break sans their top defensive pairing,  then their #1 goalie and #1 player get injured.     To bundle that up and use it as ammo to say this is the worst Sabres team that ever existed, and the coach should be fired, and the captain traded...    is simply being short sighted and hitting the panic button.      

Oh I think it's high time for panic.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Oh I think it's high time for panic.

Yeah I'm getting there.   

It's tough to be patient, considering all the adversity they've faced, but they really *should* be better than what they've shown, all things considered (long layoff, no real practice time to gel with new teammates, covid, injuries, condensed schedule, stacked division, cursed puck luck, etc).   

They need a spark.    A couple games with goals from the top guys might ignite this team.... right?  Or no?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Yeah I'm getting there.   

It's tough to be patient, considering all the adversity they've faced, but they really *should* be better than what they've shown, all things considered (long layoff, no real practice time to gel with new teammates, covid, injuries, condensed schedule, stacked division, cursed puck luck, etc).   

They need a spark.    A couple games with goals from the top guys might ignite this team.... right?  Or no?

The spark will come from a coach who doesn't have to use doublespeak. One with a system our best players can understand and buy into, a system the scrubs can plug into with minimal disruption. A coach of men, not boys.

so is it just me or do I not see what other's are seeing? Some suggest to "be patient" blah blah blah (like we've been patient for how many year snow??). I watch the end of Boston/NY Rangers and the intensity and drive of both teams win or lose is awesome! They hit push scrum and fight at the end of the game a good scrap. I am sorry but this team is not an NHL team right now period! I agree they get paid like a NHL team but they are truly an embarrassment and anybody who actually believes this will "turn around" anytime soon is  smoking too much wacky tobacky...Jack is clearly not a leader and should not be captain (unless you think having temper tantrums is leading). Maybe the pressure of losing and trying to live up to his high draft-ranking and to try to stay relatively close to McDavid and Mathews is creating pressure he simply cannot handle.

Heck Montreal lose a few games and fire their coach. It really was to bad there weren't al the good choices there are now avaiiable when we signed RK. Ralphie is a soccer coach who tries to use techniques that may or may not work in soccer but not hockey. In soccer defense is everything and many try to score that one goal then sit on it and play to hang on to that one goal. As we are seeing, that simply will not work in the NHL...maybe some games are 1-0 but they are intense and  teams try to score (not like the Sabres who clearly are not being coached properly). Clearly the players do not know their roles and RK expects everyone to be defensive experts. Ralphie needs to change to meet the NHL not the other way around (although he clearly thinks he can change not only the team but the NHL)  

This one is a bit old, but it's so true.

Brian Koziol was discussing this concept just last night after the game.

He suggested Raph is basically another Housley, but with better communication skills so he gets to stick around longer.

It's true!

16 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Heck Montreal lose a few games and fire their coach. It really was to bad there weren't al the good choices there are now avaiiable when we signed RK. Ralphie is a soccer coach who tries to use techniques that may or may not work in soccer but not hockey. In soccer defense is everything and many try to score that one goal then sit on it and play to hang on to that one goal. As we are seeing, that simply will not work in the NHL...maybe some games are 1-0 but they are intense and  teams try to score (not like the Sabres who clearly are not being coached properly). Clearly the players do not know their roles and RK expects everyone to be defensive experts. Ralphie needs to change to meet the NHL not the other way around (although he clearly thinks he can change not only the team but the NHL)  

How GROSSLY misinformed. Multilevel misinformed. 

1. You should just know the basic fact that he was Director of Southampton. Not the coach.

2. As a person who watches sports at any level, how does one wrap their mind around the belief that a person can be capable and hired to be a head coach in the NHL AAAAND be the manager of an English Premier League team? 😳 Do you think people can just roll out of bed and coach at the highest levels of multi-billion dollar leagues? 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Disagree.    Lack of oversight has gotten them into this mess.   

Somebody more qualified than Terry and Kim needs to preside over the GM.   

I think this would be best.  Someone to handle the Pegulas, do executive managerial stuff, and advise/oversee on hockey stuff.  Someone who can free the GM and coach to focus on hockey without worrying about the Pegulas calling them.

31 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

so is it just me or do I not see what other's are seeing? Some suggest to "be patient" blah blah blah (like we've been patient for how many year snow??). I watch the end of Boston/NY Rangers and the intensity and drive of both teams win or lose is awesome! They hit push scrum and fight at the end of the game a good scrap. I am sorry but this team is not an NHL team right now period! I agree they get paid like a NHL team but they are truly an embarrassment and anybody who actually believes this will "turn around" anytime soon is  smoking too much wacky tobacky...Jack is clearly not a leader and should not be captain (unless you think having temper tantrums is leading). Maybe the pressure of losing and trying to live up to his high draft-ranking and to try to stay relatively close to McDavid and Mathews is creating pressure he simply cannot handle.

Like, you know he isn’t really a soccer coach, right?

I don't know what he is, and I wonder how he got the job in the first place. All I know from my 50+ years of playing and coaching hockey, is that what this team is trying to execute(if this his philosophy-and I have no reason to believe it's not) it will not work! It doesn't work anywhere, anytime in hockey. And, his BS is wearing thin with players too I believe. At first guys with a good line like he has sound good, refreshing. And then, when no success follows, players realize why should this guy have any credibility?

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I don't know what he is, and I wonder how he got the job in the first place. All I know from my 50+ years of playing and coaching hockey, is that what this team is trying to execute(if this his philosophy-and I have no reason to believe it's not) it will not work! It doesn't work anywhere, anytime in hockey. And, his BS is wearing thin with players too I believe. At first guys with a good line like he has sound good, refreshing. And then, when no success follows, players realize why should this guy have any credibility?

How do you explain Taylor Hall's willingness to sign here? 

Just now, LabattBlue said:

$$$ and a chance to play with Jack, put up big numbers, and then use the season as a springboard to his last big multi-year deal.

That is true...but maybe the market for him elsewhere wasn't that great.   Statistically, NHL players 'peak' at 27 to 28 years of age...Hall is going on 30. He has only scored over 30 goals 1 time in his career, and that is 3 seasons (and 1 knee surgery) ago.

He is a good player for sure, but maybe just not as good anymore as we all want to think he is.

1 hour ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

totally agree...not hard to see the players are so down and the more they lose the more it snowballs.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, jsb said:

Is the reason he isn't fired already is because they can't find anyone outside the organization to take the job?? Inquiring mind wants to know.

This is a concern of mine. Does any experienced, successful candidate want to come here. I would question why unless they had pretty much total control and security. Probably not happening.

15 minutes ago, jsb said:

Is the reason he isn't fired already is because they can't find anyone outside the organization to take the job?? Inquiring mind wants to know.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

This is a concern of mine. Does any experienced, successful candidate want to come here. I would question why unless they had pretty much total control and security. Probably not happening.

No the reason is he costs millions of dollars to be fired and they've already had 6 coaches. 

We really gotta stop doing this bs. It's 1 of 31 jobs on the planet and we're really gonna believe no one else wants it? You don't become an NHL head coach without taking risks. This idea is and continues to be nonsense. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, jsb said:

I’m starting to lose track of the complaints. If the problem is the head coach and we have more talent than the results show, then why would a head coach not want to come here?

OTOH, if the problem is the players and no one wants to come here and coach these dorks then why are we firing the head coach?

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No the reason is he costs millions of dollars to be fired and they've already had 6 coaches. 

We really gotta stop doing this bs. It's 1 of 31 jobs on the planet and we're really gonna believe no one else wants it? You don't become an NHL head coach without taking risks. This idea is and continues to be nonsense. 

To an extent, I agree.  Because Buffalo sentiment can be overblown.  However, I could definitely see the upper echelon of coaches turn down the job.  Guys such as Gallant, Boudreau, and Julien.

These are guys who have been successful NHL coaches for years and don’t necessarily need to take the first job they are offered.  They have financial security and a reputation to protect.  They don’t need to insert themselves into what they feel could be a bad situation if they don’t want to.

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m starting to lose track of the complaints. If the problem is the head coach and we have more talent than the results show, then why would a head coach not want to come here?

OTOH, if the problem is the players and no one wants to come here and coach these dorks then why are we firing the head coach?

The problem isn’t the coach it’s Carter Hutton.   
I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face but there isn’t one coach in the world that can win with him on the roster   So it’s a useless move firing the coach and keeping Hutton

team actually has a winning record with Ullmark  

• Haha (+1) 1