Ralph Krueger needs to go - like yesterday.

MODO Hockey

40 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No one is getting fired in season, this season. 

Don't be so sure.  The Sabres scoring issue has to be resolved.  Either the guys start scoring and winning or changes will be made.  They made a big commitment bringing Hall and Staal here to get this offense going and it isn't working.  RK is the holdover and he needs to show progress and we are going the other way.

Eichel had by far his best season last year, his first with RK.

This is a very strange season that started following a 10-month layoff and has already included a 15-day hiatus.

We have played 12 games and been competitive in 10 of them.

It is insane to think that RK might get canned in the near term   

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is a very strange season that started following a 10-month layoff and has already included a 15-day hiatus.

I don’t know why you think RK won’t get canned. As the coach this squad hasn’t done *****. You have a 9 million dollar player playing with 3rd and 4th liners! Kyle Okposo for 6 million hasn’t done *****. RK needs to find a way to get something out of these two. In all honesty both of these contracts are terrible. Hall will probably walk at the end of this season as will Staal which neither have really done much. 

Edited by SabresBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I don’t know why you think RK won’t get canned. As the coach this squad hasn’t done *****. You have a 9 million dollar player playing with 3rd and 4th liners! Kyle Okposo for 6 million hasn’t done *****. RK needs to find a way to get something out of these two. In all honesty both of these contracts are terrible. Hall will probably walk at the end of this season as will Staal which neither have really done much. 

I rarely (if ever) lay this on my fellow fan, but — did you watch the game? I was hoping the whining about Skinner being stuck on the fourth line would start to fade out after the last two games. The last Skinner saw of Eichel was after he made a perfect pass to a wide-open Islander in the offensive zone. It might be the last he ever sees of him. Why is the coach at fault here?

6 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

He has completely run out of things to say. If I were him I would skip the post game press conferences and just pay the fine. It would probably be better than going up there and sounding like an idiot after every game. 

6 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

I stopped listening to Ralph a while ago because he reminds me of too many other people I have met over the years that sound like they are saying all the right things but if you actually listen to what they said, it was a whole lot of nothing. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Skinner played about 5 periods with jack and they scored 0 goals and honestly it was the worst jack looked all season.  The 3rd period he got moved down for thompson, and that line seemed to have some chances.  Oloffson also seemed to play sloppier with skinner.

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I rarely (if ever) lay this on my fellow fan, but — did you watch the game? I was hoping the whining about Skinner being stuck on the fourth line would start to fade out after the last two games. The last Skinner saw of Eichel was after he made a perfect pass to a wide-open Islander in the offensive zone. It might be the last he ever sees of him. Why is the coach at fault here?

THANK YOU!  He's a mess in the neutral zone too.  Do we just have to find a coach who will let skinner do skinner things and keep him happy?  Why can't the guy just play friggin hockey?  He's not drawing penalties anymore, hes shooting from outside, he's not in position for rebounds, he's not a great passer, and now he can't shoot anywhere but directly into the goalie.  He's a disaster to watch.  I don't want him on Jacks line.

Edited by Drag0nDan

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don't be so sure.  The Sabres scoring issue has to be resolved.  Either the guys start scoring and winning or changes will be made.  They made a big commitment bringing Hall and Staal here to get this offense going and it isn't working.  RK is the holdover and he needs to show progress and we are going the other way.

Guess...or?

9 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Well, Okposo has been comatose since well before RK arrived, so I don't see how that one is on RK.

In any case, my point was that RK is not going to get canned in the near term.  If the Sabres finish the season having won 1/3 of their games everything is on the table after the season.

8 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

You can look back at my posts and I always thought he was spewing BS but last season I said, I don't care if he is, if the players are responding.  Well this season the players are not responding.  It took Lindy 15 years to lose the room.  Krueger only took a year.

• Like (+1) 3

I still have some faith in Skinner.  My sense is that he is the player that has lost the most under Krueger.  We're stuck with him, we need to make him work.  We need to make Eichel work.  We need to make Okposo work.  Well, we need to make at least two of the three work out, at least.  It's not happening under Krueger.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

Unfortunately for Ralph he doesn't get a pass for roster issues as we know he has a big say in such. 

I agree he's respected, and we can't know for sure yet - so I'm in the "still waiting" camp - but I think we should admit it's probably much more likely he *isn't* the right fit as coach, considering, as apparently as respected as he is - he never gets NHL coaching jobs. 

We didn't scramble upon some hidden gem, we took a shot at a guy who no one else wanted coaching. There's no reason he should be kept beyond this season if we end up with another losing record. 

With a top 6 with this much talent, we absolutely should be scoring at ES and we are not. Everyone said the top 6 would be excellent. Of course some is on the players, but clearly the coach as well. 

He gets this year but he needs to get the results. 

Just a note, and I’m def not saying Ralph is good, but.........

Its not like he couldn’t get a job previously.  He had a job that was higher level and probably higher paying than that NHL head coach.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Just a note, and I’m def not saying Ralph is good, but.........

Its not like he couldn’t get a job previously.  He had a job that was higher level and probably higher paying than that NHL head coach.

I'd be pretty surprised if his job running a 2nd-tier UK soccer team paid $3.5MM per year.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I still have some faith in Skinner.  My sense is that he is the player that has lost the most under Krueger.  We're stuck with him, we need to make him work.  We need to make Eichel work.  We need to make Okposo work.  Well, we need to make at least two of the three work out, at least.  It's not happening under Krueger.

Name a player that is better under Krueger than they were previously. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, miles said:

But if the players are dropping 75% of the passes, its not the coaches fault. The players need to execute. the are professionals

That's true.. if the pass hits their hands (or sticks here).  If the pass misses because the distance says its low percentage or the distance allows too many defenders to be in the passing lane or close the gap.. that's the coach.

Right now, what I see is the coach.  Hockey is more successful with shorter, small game passes that rely upon puck support and having numbers in areas.  You make stretch passes when they are there.... not as a matter of strategy.  

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

10 were competitive?  I see the Sabres having benefitted from their power play.

Buffalo is 26th in GF/GP.  They are dead last in 5v5 goals (granted they have missed games but if you normalize 5v5 per games played they are still very low.

12g, 15GF.

Minnesota and Dallas have 12GP, they have 19 and 20 goals respectively.  NJ has 21 in 10GP.

In short, Buffalo is generating no meaningful offense 5v5 and we are seeing that.

Buffalo has 15 5v5 goals and 13 5v4 goals.  No other team is even close to about 50% of their offense coming from the PP.

If you don't take penalties against Buffalo, you have a great chance of winning.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I'd be pretty surprised if his job running a 2nd-tier UK soccer team paid $3.5MM per year.

Maybe not.  They were not 2-tier however.  Unless you just meant that figuratively.

EPL football is a much much bigger business than NHL hockey though.  I’m not positive what team presidents make.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Maybe not.  They were not 2-tier however.  Unless you just meant that figuratively.

EPL football is a much much bigger business than NHL hockey though.  I’m not positive what team presidents make.

Yes -- figuratively.  My point was that his team was not one of the better teams in the league, and was not in a big market, and was known for selling off its best players.  That's not the kind of organization that pays its management multi-million dollar salaries.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Krueger's handling of Skinner, specially, is all you need to justify an immediate firing.

I think Skinner will come back around when he is used correctly again...which is something Krueger seems utterly unwilling to do.

The fans out in Edmonton warned us that Ralph was a stubborn SOB...they weren't wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Krueger is 34-37.  How is that insane?  Just because games are close does not mean a coach is performing well enough to not be canned.  A change is needed.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm done.  Today was game 82.  That's the equivalent of a full season.

His "system," if it even is one, is a failure.  Even his power play, which is progressive by NHL standards, is horrible.

I don't think Adams will fire him during COVID but I do think Adams should do so.

A friend said yesterday, "I really like the guy, but..." and my response was "yeah, he'd probably make a good Secretary of State, but not a hockey coach."  

Done with him.

Whatever remains of Team Storm Cloud, remember that I was right then and know that I'm right now.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 5