Ralph Krueger needs to go - like yesterday.

MODO Hockey

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I agree wholeheartedly that Ralph needs to go, that being said.

They have had six HCs and four GMs in the past decade, how the hell does anyone expect them to get the next hire right? 

The Blind Squirrel Theory.

7 minutes ago, miles said:

We have had how many coaches. This is on the players for not executing constantly 

It might be on some players, but the strategy being used by the team right now is the coach.  It's a bad strategy that they cannot execute.  It's a bad strategy overall.

It's like blaming a QB for missing 80% of his throws when the OC keeps calling 90+ yd passing plays.

16 minutes ago, LTS said:

The Blind Squirrel Theory.

It might be on some players, but the strategy being used by the team right now is the coach.  It's a bad strategy that they cannot execute.  It's a bad strategy overall.

It's like blaming a QB for missing 80% of his throws when the OC keeps calling 90+ yd passing plays.

But if the players are dropping 75% of the passes, its not the coaches fault. The players need to execute. the are professionals

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I agree wholeheartedly that Ralph needs to go, that being said.

They have had six HCs and four GMs in the past decade, how the hell does anyone expect them to get the next hire right? 

I can't defend Ralph, and I think Steve Smith is useless, but I don't see how a new coach can fix this. As has been said, we've had many, and the results and attitude is always the same. It's the players, not the coach. 

If Torts came here, which I doubt he would, do you think Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner etc. would all buy in to his way, or do you think he'd have to bench half the team? I'd love to see it, but it ain't going to happen. If you want a coach with a new attitude you need new players, and you have to endure the tear down (like Ottawa) to get there. 

26 minutes ago, miles said:

But if the players are dropping 75% of the passes, its not the coaches fault. The players need to execute. the are professionals

If the scheme is for E.Kane to drive to the far side of the net and Eichel to pass for the easy tap-in goal --- and it's there --- and Kane misses the net, that's on the players. (I use this example because Kane could have had 5+ more goals that one season from missed redirections.)

But if it's Kane following the plan to stop at the face off circle for a one-timer instead of relying on his great speed, and Eichel unable to make the pass because now the defense isn't stretched and there's no passing lane, and the coaches aren't making adjustments --- now it's on the coaches.

I rely on you and other members of this Space (all of whom are more qualified in hockey than me) to identify whether it's currently more on the roster or the staff.

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I can't defend Ralph, and I think Steve Smith is useless, but I don't see how a new coach can fix this. As has been said, we've had many, and the results and attitude is always the same. It's the players, not the coach. 

If Torts came here, which I doubt he would, do you think Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner etc. would all buy in to his way, or do you think he'd have to bench half the team? I'd love to see it, but it ain't going to happen. If you want a coach with a new attitude you need new players, and you have to endure the tear down (like Ottawa) to get there. 

Maybe Torts wouldn't work here, but if you got a coach who coached these players like Ruff coached the Briere/Drury Sabres, that would work.

A coach who could actually use players like Dahlin, Montour, and Jokiharju to actually build an effective transition game.

A coach who could figure out how to better use Hall's, Skinner's, Olofsson's, and Eichel's speed. (The Sabres have to be the slowest fast team in the league).

A coach who could actually define a role for guys like Mittelstadt and Thompson (seriously what is the plan for these guys when they hit the ice?).

You see this team's talent peek through on the power play when they are able to use their talent to be a little creative.

But that talent and creativity is crushed by the slog that is their 5v5 play. I mean, on the power play, Dahlin's possession game is insane. We see almost none of that in his 5v5 transition game.  Why not? Is that his choice or the coaches?

Get a coach who can motivate and challenge the skill players, build effective lines, define each player's role, and the team will improve.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Maybe Torts wouldn't work here, but if you got a coach who coached these players like Ruff coached the Briere/Drury Sabres, that would work.

A coach who could actually use players like Dahlin, Montour, and Jokiharju to actually build an effective transition game.

A coach who could figure out how to better use Hall's, Skinner's, Olofsson's, and Eichel's speed. (The Sabres have to be the slowest fast team in the league).

A coach who could actually define a role for guys like Mittelstadt and Thompson (seriously what is the plan for these guys when they hit the ice?).

You see this team's talent peek through on the power play when they are able to use their talent to be a little creative.

But that talent and creativity is crushed by the slog that is their 5v5 play. I mean, on the power play, Dahlin's possession game is insane. We see almost none of that in his 5v5 transition game.  Why not? Is that his choice or the coaches?

Get a coach who can motivate and challenge the skill players, build effective lines, define each player's role, and the team will improve.

No great coach/scheme wins with consistency without great players, but the best coaches adapt to their players and get more out of them. Ruff won with all sorts of kinds of teams and some great players in different capacities.

Now! We could easily argue that our players aren't great, but we're certainly not seeing any of them at their best this season or even since November of... not last year, but 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, miles said:

We have had how many coaches. This is on the players for not executing consistently 

No this is on the coach, it is his job to make the players execute by providing knowledge, provide stability and above all confidence.

Ralph is basicly happy after each loss with their play where he says that they just didnt get that last drop. He is so full of it that it would make a 5 year old coach better. DA DA DA - DA DA DA

Ralph can go coach some softball team cuz he aint a good hockey coach thats for sure. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Here's the difference though. Briere and Drury were hard working guys with pride. Drury was a natural born leader. I can picture that room with Ruff yelling saying we have to get more net traffic and Drury echoing that and Briere doing it. Who on this team has that attitude?

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Wasn't that Housley? But that team couldn't keep pucks out of our net. Our D was terrible then, so are you suggesting we shouldn't have fired Housley? Cause it seems to me we've tried 3 different systems and styles with Eichel and Reinhart on this team and none of those has led to wins. What we lack is desire and heart, not talent. 

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Neither of these players can play NHL hockey. Coach ain't going to fix them. Thompson has to use his body/size and Mitts has to work hard and use his speed with that. They don't, they won't, they suck. 

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Sure, when nobody checks them and lets them skate around freely they look great. But if a team kills penalties really well and still plays tough on them we need to throw Risto in front don't we, cause the rest of them are pussies. 

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Isn't that exactly the Kreuger philosophy? Build up those fragile egos and define their roles. That's exactly what he does, but NOTHING motivates this bunch of lazy selfish losers and I doubt there is a coach out there who can. 

Blaming coaches is easy but it rarely fixes a problem that runs this deep. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Reinhart would because he’s a professional who carries himself and plays like one day in and day out. I don’t think Skinner or Eichel would. 

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

But both the Murray and Botteril hirings were the result of taking advice from NHL insiders.

I agree.  He's coached 80 games with the Sabres, the first 69 of which were spent trying to make chicken salad out of JB's chicken poop roster, and the most recent 11 of which have been spent trying to get a team's sharpness back after a 10-month layoff plus a 15-day layoff and a virus outbreak -- and he's had bottom-20% goaltending the whole time.

I think he's also reasonably well-respected around the NHL, and dumping him at this point would be another log on the fire of TP's reputation for firing people.

Yes indeed -- and they played pretty well in the 1st 2 periods last night before running out of gas in the 3rd.

Unfortunately for Ralph he doesn't get a pass for roster issues as we know he has a big say in such. 

I agree he's respected, and we can't know for sure yet - so I'm in the "still waiting" camp - but I think we should admit it's probably much more likely he *isn't* the right fit as coach, considering, as apparently as respected as he is - he never gets NHL coaching jobs. 

We didn't scramble upon some hidden gem, we took a shot at a guy who no one else wanted coaching. There's no reason he should be kept beyond this season if we end up with another losing record. 

With a top 6 with this much talent, we absolutely should be scoring at ES and we are not. Everyone said the top 6 would be excellent. Of course some is on the players, but clearly the coach as well. 

He gets this year but he needs to get the results. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

He hasn't even coached a full seasons worth of games....

For anyone. Ever. 

Kinda makes you think. 

Even Ted Nolan had NHL accomplishments to his name. Something we could point to as where we wanted to get to - Krueger has no NHL accomplishment on his resume. That the aptitude exists at all is merely a hope, there is nothing tangible to hang our hats on. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Ralph, to the courtesy phone, Ralph - please. 

I cannot see this being anything but a massive black mark on the coach, regardless of what we want to say about the players. One of the more damning things I've read. 

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He'll take the depleted roster into consideration.

Really shouldn't considering the scoring issue and who's even out. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

What are things that should have been fixed at the peewee level, Alex?

Is Ralph just all motivation with zero attention to detail? Actually asking. How could this be allowed? Practicing with continual offsides? Like, what? I'm actually shocked. 

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Whatever Ralph Tony Robbins Krueger is selling, the team isn’t buying.  

I think they are buying plenty. 

21 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Whatever Ralph Tony Robbins Krueger is selling, the team isn’t buying.  

I just listened to his post-game PC.  He seems like such a reasonable, friendly guy! 

He's in the wrong line of work, but he seems like a great guy.

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But he will.  Especially if he wants any future candidate to take him seriously.

How long do you wait if your three best forwards (historically speaking ) have 3 goals between them and only 1 goal 5 on 5?

In 8 of the 12 games the Sabres have 1 or less even strength goals. 10 of the 16 even goals for the season were scored in just 3 games, all in the 1st 5 played including 4 in the 6-1 blowout of Philly.  

Since the shoot out loss to the Caps the (game 5), the Sabres have just 5 even goals in 7 games.  The depleted roster isn't the problem or excuse.  It just exacerbated an existing trend.  

Like I said, KA may not have a choice soon, depleted roster or not.  

• Like (+1) 1